Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Use x10 to monitor appliance on/off  (Read 3219 times)

bbrick

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Use x10 to monitor appliance on/off
« on: May 07, 2009, 12:52:44 PM »

Anybody have a method to monitor whether or not an appliance os in or not?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Use x10 to monitor appliance on/off
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 02:12:24 PM »

What is it you want to know about exactly.

You can use a simple powerflash module (PF284)... for many apps. Some others other methods use Security door/window sensors (DS10A).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 03:23:03 PM »

Anybody have a method to monitor whether or not an appliance os in or not?
Are you asking relative to X10? In other words, do you have AHP and other X10 modules? If so you might try to find a X10 2-Way Appliance Module (AM14A) on eBay, or look at the Smarthome.com Appliance Modules that will provide "Status", when polled. These Appliance Modules will confirm they have applied power to the appliance, The only way to guarantee the appliance is running, is to find a way of using a PowerFlash to monitor the appliance operation like Dave suggested.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bbrick

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 10:35:40 AM »

I have an AHP.  Also all sorts of motion detectors, etc.  I'm looking for a way too monitor the time my A/C is running on a daily basis.  A simple on or off system would do.  For example, I could wire in a light that comes on when it is running and if I had a sensor that would send a signal when it is light or dark, that would do.

crowntown

• Helpful Post Rating: -5
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 12:20:42 PM »

My solution would be a 2-way module.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 12:30:01 PM »

I have an AHP.  Also all sorts of motion detectors, etc.  I'm looking for a way too monitor the time my A/C is running on a daily basis.  A simple on or off system would do.  For example, I could wire in a light that comes on when it is running and if I had a sensor that would send a signal when it is light or dark, that would do.

OK That is easy IF you have central A/C. Locate the A/C line out of the thermostat and connect a Power Flash module between that line and the common line in the thermostat. The connections should be marked in the thermostat.

When the thermostat calls for A/C, the Power Flash sends a HCUC - "ON" command. When the thermostat is satisfied and stops the A/C, the Power Flash will send a HCUC - "OFF" command. Tally the on durations in AHP will give you total run time. I do not use AHP any more so do not know if the SDK will let you script things like that. Other HA programs such a "Homeseer" will let you generate statistics.

If you have a window unit it will be more difficult and probably need to involve accessing fan or compressor motors to sense power being present. If the window unit has a digital thermostat readout then there is likely  a control board with a low voltage relay controlling the compressor and you could monitor the relay coil voltage with the Power Flash and get the ON-OFF periods.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 04:12:36 PM »

contact me via PM and I'll send you a copy of the EvilKnight Fuel Consumption Monitor.  With a powerflash and this software, you can do what you desire.  Originalevil and I havebeen working on this project to monitor fuel oil consumption on a furnace, and I believe that it can be adaptedfor your needs.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.