📝Reviews > Protector Plus Reviews

X10 Protector Plus Motion Detectors

(1/1)

bbmon13:
I bought the X10 Protector Plus in Sept of 2008.  $259.96 for the system and add ons that I purchased.

In a word, it's JUNK.  I have 6 motion detectors, and two of them give false alarms constantly.  So in the middle of the night, I'm jumping out of bed to go downstairs and check - you have to go check just in case.  When I sent in a question to X10 thru this website, it took almost 6 wks to get an answer.  I called in, and some 'dude' that sounded like he was half asleep told me that I might want to change the batteries....that were, at the time, 4 months old.  I also changed the setting on the back of the detector so that it would not be as sensitive - nothing changed.  Still getting bounced out of bed at all hours of the night.

Not only do the detectors give false alarms almost constantly, but the support has been abysmal.  Don't waste your money on this system.  Just because beautiful women are scattered throughout their catalogs, that certainly doesn't mean the product is good....just look at the women, but go somewhere else and buy a real home security system, not a toy....

I have never been so disappointed with a product.

astrothug:
Sorry to hear that im very happy with my system, maybe u have a ghost, or not. I didnt buy my system becouse of the woman.

crowntown:
The biggest problem with any IR motion detectors is placement.  Even heating/cooling ducts can cause false signals.  Usually it's something moving ever so slightly when the air kicks on.  A plant, stuff hanging from the ceiling, etc.  In fact, that's the biggest offender in chronic false IR signals in the alarm industry(other than subscriber error).

These X10 motion detectors are pretty nice.  I'd suggest looking over your placement.  Another thing you can do is block part of the lens to reduce the angle of coverage.  I had an application for an x10 IR detector where I determined that I  needed a very narrow path of detection.  I just carefully placed tape on both sides of the lens so just a thin line in the middle of the lens is visible.  It works great and it eliminated the false signals.

crowntown:
I have a MS14A placed above a door looking straight down to the ground to detect activity at the door.  It's in heavy usage sending dozens of signals per day.  I am now on month 6 without changing the batteries. 

I would not consider the x10 products I've dealt with as being toys.  So far everything I've encountered has been well built.

tom j:

--- Quote from: bbmon13 on May 08, 2009, 11:38:55 AM ---I bought the X10 Protector Plus in Sept of 2008.  $259.96 for the system and add ons that I purchased.

In a word, it's JUNK.  I have 6 motion detectors, and two of them give false alarms constantly.  So in the middle of the night, I'm jumping out of bed to go downstairs and check - you have to go check just in case.  When I sent in a question to X10 thru this website, it took almost 6 wks to get an answer.  I called in, and some 'dude' that sounded like he was half asleep told me that I might want to change the batteries....that were, at the time, 4 months old.  I also changed the setting on the back of the detector so that it would not be as sensitive - nothing changed.  Still getting bounced out of bed at all hours of the night.

Not only do the detectors give false alarms almost constantly, but the support has been abysmal.  Don't waste your money on this system.  Just because beautiful women are scattered throughout their catalogs, that certainly doesn't mean the product is good....just look at the women, but go somewhere else and buy a real home security system, not a toy....

I have never been so disappointed with a product.

--- End quote ---

I also would tend to think it is probably placement I did a review a while back see link below were I put a few of these in a bedroom pointed at a north facing window for no less then 3 months and never got a false alarm!! These things used to be plagued by false alarms but I am under the impression that they have been improved. So try reinstalling everything and start with one motion detector and watch the placement I wouldn't recommend pointing it at a window this was an extreme test or heating vents or by anything that might generate movement. Let us know who it goes we'll help you figure it out.  ;)

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=16095.0

Tom j.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version