Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Will my old X10 cams circa 2000 work with current hardware?  (Read 14954 times)

clevelandfarm

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Will my old X10 cams circa 2000 work with current hardware?
« on: March 10, 2009, 12:33:20 AM »

I bought a set of 3 X10 wireless cams with a receiver off Ebay in 2000. I used them breifly, but then sold the building I was using them in. They have been sitting in dry storage for almost 9 years. The receiver doesn't seem to be working now. I'd like to buy a new receiver, motion sensors, VCR commander, etc. Will my old cams work with the new stuff?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Will my old X10 cams circa 2000 work with current hardware?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 11:04:51 AM »

Yes!
The Receivers,VCR Commander, and motion sensors haven't changed much!
>!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mbmisa

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 11:56:43 PM »

Hello with my first post here. I have just dug out my set (1st generation x10) last week and installed just one camera so far and it works.

Since the time I had it shipped to the Philippines, the command controller was plugged to 220 volts, remote commanding is gone. Only one power supply exists so I will try to install another camera with a standard power supply 12V DC 80mA output. Maybe it will take the A1 camera assignment. I will know very soon.

I am using the camera to watch my front lot which is not visible from my house. For me to view it from multiple computers, I created a Yahoo account and selected automatic approved accounts to view my webcam to be viewed from different YM accounts within my wi-fi router. And since I needed a dedicated computer in my veranda to maximize the 100 ft distance capacity, I used my old laptop with WinXP.

The only snag I encountered was configuring the x10 driver as it was always identified as an Intel camera. If it happens after installing the downloadables from X10, remove Intel Camera hardware in control panel and reboot. At the plug and play installation, Have Disc, then browse in Program Files, Common Files, X10, DriverInstall, VA11A Capture.

Question: is there an easier way to use my wi-fi without YM?

Uncle Tom

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 12:03:08 AM »

Yes!
The Receivers,VCR Commander, and motion sensors haven't changed much!
>!
Just curious, have the newer X10 wireless cameras been improved or are they also the same old noisy low res?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 04:52:21 PM »

By newer cam if your referring to the Sentinel or Vanguard the pic is much better the X10s cheaper cams.
Wireless cams still use the same frequency so if you have issues with RF Noise or range then that hasn't changed.
I just got a few new wired cams ( Anacondas )and they produce a better image than my original Cam Anywhere camera.
How ever these no longer have an adjustable focus :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Uncle Tom

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 12:09:28 AM »

By newer cam if your referring to the Sentinel or Vanguard the pic is much better the X10s cheaper cams.
Wireless cams still use the same frequency so if you have issues with RF Noise or range then that hasn't changed.
I just got a few new wired cams ( Anacondas )and they produce a better image than my original Cam Anywhere camera.
How ever these no longer have an adjustable focus :(

By newer, I ment recent mfg. X10 wireless cams.  However X10 just answered my own question.  I got suckered into the two pan/tilt camera deal and received them today.  Hooked up one camera and found they are worse than the ones I purchased over 10 years ago.  The new ones seem to be useless for viewing outdoors, it is almost completely washed out when viewing the yard.  When daylight starts to dim it gets better but then AGC noise kicks in.  Havn't tried for indoor viewing yet.  I have a $40.00 no/name wireless cam that is noticeably better.  It's really a shame that X10 has such a great concept and system versitility, but falls so short on quality and reliability. :(

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 01:41:57 AM »

...... I got suckered into the two pan/tilt camera deal and received them today.  Hooked up one camera and found they are worse than the ones I purchased over 10 years ago. 

Oh come on Uncle Tom... just four days ago you posted:

Most X10 stuff is just plain flakey and unreliable, camera quality is a joke.

Are you telling us that you posted what you did on the 12th... then ordered and received the cameras in time to test and post another complaint on the 16th? No offense... but I reviewed your posts.. and none seem to be anymore than gripes.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Uncle Tom

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 03:06:35 AM »

X10 man:
Sorry to sound like a griper, (I guess I am) I don't like to give up though, so I have been trying to achieve quality and reliable operation of X10 products since back in the 70's when DAK was one of the few places I knew of to purchase them.  Then came Radio Shack.  Then the X10 Internet website.  I have continued to occasionally purchase what always seemed to be a great product, hoping they would have been improved upon.  Unfortunately I continue to be disappointed.  I must admit that there have been some applications that worked out quite well such as the thermostat control and various power control modules, (still with a few reliability quirks).  But when it comes to the various motion detection, audio/video equipment, sender/receiver's & camera's there is much to be desired.  I made the latest camera purchase just before finding the Forums and posting question about current products VS the older stuff I already have lots of.  I did, like many others, and got carried away with the glitzy offers.  I was hoping that maybe X10 people might read some of the forums and get a message that it's time to make some improvements in design before they can no longer be manufactured at such a low cost.  Again, my apologies if I posted in the wrong place.  I really would like to see some actual video or pic's of X10 cams in operation to compare with poor video I get.  I know how to focus although the early camera instructions failed to mention it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 03:16:39 AM by Uncle Tom »

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 10:35:31 AM »

Uncle Tom, maybe you can take a screen shot of what the camera is doing and post it here so we  can try to help you resolve your challenge.  That's what we do, and that's the way we roll.  X10 systems can work.  I have an 8 camera setup that works just fine.

But I had to post on this forum and read a lot to get them to work.  There is a lot of variables involved.  If you want help then post what kind of cameras they are, what software you are using if any, what controllers you have, and what exactly is the problem.

With this information I'm sure the forum users here can help you resolve your problem quickly.   ;)
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

Uncle Tom

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 12:54:16 AM »

Thanks Hawk,  When I get a new battery for my digital camera I will post pic's of the X10-2 compared with another low cost wireless cam.  So far I'm satisfied with the pan/tilt units that were part of my most recent camera purchase.  I'm begining to get to get the gist of the forums and will not gripe.
UT

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.