Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dumb question about CM15 Tranceiving  (Read 5943 times)

alan6060

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Dumb question about CM15 Tranceiving
« on: May 13, 2009, 07:11:50 PM »

Hi,
Simple question: Am I right to assume that the CM15 does not tranceive PLC to RF?

To be forensically precise, that is does not, without specific macro programming to do so, generate any RF command or signal on receipt of any PLC command or signal?

The reason for asking is that if it did, it would go towards explaining a particular endless repeating command situation that I have. (I have a couple of proven workarounds, but I'm really bugged that I don't have a strong hypothesis for what's actually occurring.)

TIA,
Alan

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Dumb question about CM15 Tranceiving
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 07:19:06 PM »

I don't believe it will send an RF command by default and needs a specific instruction to do it.

By chance do you have an X10 Power Line Repeater and if so what is the brand and model. Some are known to get into a firestorm with a CM15A.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 10:08:07 PM »

alan6060,

Actually, that's an interesting question.

While the manual says that it will receive RF and then re-transmit it as PLC, I always thought it did the reverse too!

I may just have to plug in a TM751 (since it doesn't respond to PLC) and a manual controller that only sends PLC and see what happens!   -:)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 10:26:22 PM »

... While the manual says that it will receive RF and then re-transmit it as PLC, I always thought it did the reverse too!

I have my CM15A setup to control a Ninja... which of course can ONLY be done by RF. I am using BVC to voice command the Ninja.... but I don't recall doing anything "special" with any settings. Could it be that the CM15A/AHP setup and device usage helps to determend it the CM15A sends PLC or RF. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 02:46:31 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 10:32:14 PM »

... While the manual says that it will receive RF and then re-transmit it as PLC, I always thought it did the reverse too!

I have my CM15A setup to control a Ninja... which of course can ONLY be done by RF. I am using BVC to voice command the Ninja.... but I don't recall doing anything "special" with any settings. Could it be that the CM15A/AHP setup and device usage helps to determend it the CM15A sends PLC or RF. 

Yeah.  Software telling the CM15A to send RF isn't an issue.  Just not positive it will automatically transceive PLC to RF all by itself.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 01:51:11 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 10:54:05 PM »

OK, so I just tried this little experiment.  I have a TM751 (RF only) set to channel "K".  I set my CM15A to transceive HC "K", and set a maxi controller to HC "K".

The theory here is that if the CM15 does turn PLC into RF then the TM751 will work from the maxi controller's PLC via the CM15 converting the signal.

Results: Does not work this way.

I urge at least one other member to corroborate my findings to make this a published fact.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 10:58:19 PM by Knightrider »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 11:45:10 PM »

With many devices already available and in many of our homes now that can transceive from RF to PLC automatically, a device that automatically transceives from PLC to RF could only cause problems.

It's a nice thought for an option, but the risk of infinite signal looping / firestorming would be too great.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 11:54:13 PM »

With many devices already available and in many of our homes now that can transceive from RF to PLC automatically, a device that automatically transceives from PLC to RF could only cause problems.

It's a nice thought for an option, but the risk of infinite signal looping / firestorming would be too great.

I think that was more or less the OP's point.  Wondering if the CM15A was the culprit in his firestorming.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 06:41:38 AM »

I think it maybe the software knowing if a device needed RF control.
Like the Ninja Base does.
Unneeded RF signals is not what X10 equipment needs.  ;D

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 11:55:24 AM »

I think that was more or less the OP's point.  Wondering if the CM15A was the culprit in his firestorming.

I agree... although very precisely written... the OP still left a little to be imagined. I think we can all agree that firestorms are NOT inherent to the CM15A. The OP's question is about:  "explaining a particular endless repeating command situation"... "without specific macro programming to do so," Is a mute point.

Without "specific macro programming"... the CM15A is little more than a plastic box.

I think everyone can agree... we have all read of (or even experienced) strange and even firestorming-like behavior from the CM15A. This has always been to the best of my knowledge caused buy looped macros or other transceiving devices or repeaters. Although... I would guess there may be some remote chance that this isn't the OP's circumstance... the odds are against that. If the OP's question was [more directly]: Could my macros be causing a firestorm? The answer would be sure.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:04:31 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

alan6060

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 05:40:45 PM »

Wow,
Thanks everyone; I was really surprised that the answer wasn't simply "of course not!" - many thanks for the interest and effort all responders have shown. I always thought it was a fairly safe assumption that in its "little more than a plastic box" mode, a CM15 tranceives one way only - As Puck points out, the alternative sounds more dangerous than useful.

Actually, and taking on board all the comments so far, it might be worth considering the question in a slightly different way:

"Are there any circumstances in which a CM15 which has no "send RF" commands stored in EEPROM, and with nothing plugged into its USB interface, will transmit a command on RF"

As I've sparked some interest, I will post details of the observations that led me to ask the question, but as said I already have empirical solutions, so the only value in exploring it further is pure curiosity - the desire not only to resolve, but also to explain.  I'll try and post in the next couple of days - although the situation is actually extremely simple, there's a body of evidence gathered from investigating various options around it, which I need to find a couple of hours to present properly in a post.

Cheers to all,
Alan

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.