Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: how to program KR19A remote  (Read 8018 times)

merkelck

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
how to program KR19A remote
« on: February 05, 2011, 03:50:03 PM »

I have recently added two of these remote units but am having a problem programming them. This link
" http://software.x10.com/pub/manuals/kr19a-is.pdf" shows one procedure and the paper that came with the unit shows a different procedure. The procedure from the package is the closest I can find that works. However, I must be missing a point somewhere as this procedure just results in chasing your tail. I can set the house code to a letter (D). Then I follow the procedure and set the unit code to a number (6). I am observing the activity on the activity monitor of AHP. After setting the unit code, I press the #1 ON button and discover that the house code has reverted back to "A". If I reset it back to "D", the unit code reverts back to (1). Can someone take pity on the old and infirm and tell me what is happening here. I am positive that this must be an operator error...
Kent
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 03:51:50 PM by merkelck »
When things seem to be going well, you have probably overlooked something.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: how to program KR19A remote
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 04:17:15 PM »

You may want to make sure the battery is not making poor contact or is getting weak.
Most of the X10 remotes revert to A1 when the battery is changed or is weak. Programming may aggravate the situation and the user also.

merkelck

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 04:50:14 PM »

Thanks for the idea. Of course, that is the only battery I do not have on the shelf. I will pick a couple of them up and check into that. The only thing that bothers me about the battery idea is that both of them are identical and fully repeatable. I can just keep programming them with identical results as long as I want to. 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 06:25:44 PM »

Well since you have found differences in the included instructions and the online version.
X10 may have updated the KR19A using more easily found parts and changed things.
With the chance both are not 100% correct.  ::)

I did find a different manual for the X10Pro PHR04 version of the KR19A made after 2008.
It goes into the programming mode by holding BOTH the On and Off buttons for the first row.
Then using the On button to set the House Code and the Off button for the Unit Code?
Then to go out of the programming mode you push the on or off button in the second row or it times out in thirty seconds of no buttons pushed.
Completely different than mine. ???
http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/phr04.pdf
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 06:36:26 PM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 06:46:36 PM »

Try this.
To set House Code D:
Hold both top On and Off buttons for three seconds to enter the programming mode.
LED stays On.
Press the Top On button four times.
Press the second row On or Off to button to the leave programming mode.

To set Unit Code 6
Hold both top On and Off buttons three seconds to enter programming mode.
LED stays On.
Press the top Off button six times.
Press the second row On or Off button to leave the programming mode.

Test results and report anything interesting.

merkelck

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 08:16:49 PM »

That is precisely the procedure that I was using. That is the procedure specified on the document that came with the unit. So I tried your example on two different new units with identical results. Out of the box they are on A1 and A2. I changed the house code to D in accordance with your example and then changed the unit code. I then opened the activity monitor only to find that the unit was now showing A6. So I then carried it one step further and reset the house code to "D" only to find that it was now on "D1". It appears that I can only have control of either housecode or unitcode but not both.
I also have one of the 4 unit credit card remotes. The procedure for it is like the wall units. You hold the on button and wait for the unit to flash the number of times representing the housecode. If you want to change it, you press the ON button according to the new number and hold it on the last number. It then responds with the correct number of flashes. You use the OFF button to do the same thing with the unitcode. But the KR19A is definitely different because when you press and hold the ON button, it just continuously sends that code.
I guess I will have to call X10 on Monday but usually I get better info here than I do from them.
Thanks for your interest but please don't lose any sleep over it.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 08:31:06 PM »

Well at least the X10Pro instructions match what you got.
I still hope someone here will have the correct procedure for you and calling X10 will not be needed.

Found this. The poster added one thing. Hold the On and off buttons on row one untill the LED lights goes off and then back On again.
To start programming mode.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=2030ktlrfvm55levroc6qiphe4&topic=9657.msg60398#msg60398
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 08:34:58 PM by Brian H »

merkelck

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 08:53:01 PM »

Problem solved! My first error was in not searching the entire forum. I did a search for KR19A but all of the problems I found dealt with the poor range etc. The secret here is in the explanation of the programming. Once you hold the two top buttons and wait for the flash, you use the ON button to set the housecode and then immediately use the OFF button to set the unitcode. The instructions lead you to believe that you have to do that in two steps. In other words return to the Normal mode and then start over to set the unitcode. This seemed to be big issue back 2006. I guess it is asking too much to rewrite the instructions in the past several years. Thank you so much for taking the time to assist me with this issue.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 09:14:27 PM by merkelck »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 09:59:53 AM »

Thank you for confirming that both House and Unit Codes have to be set together.
I was wondering about that sequence myself.

Even if they had thousands of printed sheets for the boxes and didn't want to scrap them.
The Wiki could easily have been updated.  >*<

merkelck

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 07:22:43 PM »

I tried a different search and found this article that has the correct procedure. I don't know why I didn't find this before. Maybe this will help someone else.
"http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Programming_Your_Slimfire_Remote"
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Programming_Your_Slimfire_Remote

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 07:30:30 PM »

Thanks for the links.
Seems the separate Unit and House Code part didn't work correctly for you.  ;)

Techowl

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 03:55:24 PM »

This post helped me a lot. I was used to programming the older ones, so I followed the instructions enclosed with the unit, but could not get the unit code to take.

Thanks for posting the fix!

#:)

- Techowl -

Problem solved! My first error was in not searching the entire forum. I did a search for KR19A but all of the problems I found dealt with the poor range etc. The secret here is in the explanation of the programming. Once you hold the two top buttons and wait for the flash, you use the ON button to set the housecode and then immediately use the OFF button to set the unitcode. The instructions lead you to believe that you have to do that in two steps. In other words return to the Normal mode and then start over to set the unitcode. This seemed to be big issue back 2006. I guess it is asking too much to rewrite the instructions in the past several years. Thank you so much for taking the time to assist me with this issue.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.