Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Windows 7 and Active Home Pro  (Read 17290 times)

MR.WaynesWorld

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Windows 7 and Active Home Pro
« on: May 17, 2009, 08:17:41 AM »

I just started to use Windows 7 here at my house. I have had Active Home Pro running on Vista for some 1-2 years. It installs on Windows 7 but the OS will not load the driver for the CM15A interface and without that one it's useless.. Any ideas on where I can get a workable driver for the CM15A that will allow it to work under Win 7? Or is there a better software available that would work with all of my X10 devices?

Thanks In Advance..

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Windows 7 and Active Home Pro
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 10:02:56 AM »

Since Windows 7 is still Beta or maybe a Release Candidate. An X10 driver may not be done yet.
I have not seen any work around but if there is one. Someone will get it posted.

MR.WaynesWorld

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 11:18:58 AM »

Since Windows 7 is still Beta or maybe a Release Candidate. An X10 driver may not be done yet.
I have not seen any work around but if there is one. Someone will get it posted.

Well I came up with two solutions right now. I actually downloaded and installed the new XP Mode for Windows on my machine. It actually runs a XP Virtual machine inside Windows 7. I was able to install Active Home Pro and get it working. The only issue I had was doing an update to the Active Home Software itself. I got around that one by finding a link to the X10 FTP site and downloaded the update and then installed it. Active Home still continued to work completely.

After I had that working I did some more Windows 7 updates and one that was installed was, Microsoft Driver Update for Microsoft Hardware Device Detection Driver. Once that was installed I got from MS a X10 Wireless Driver. I then shut down my Virtual XP machine and installed Active Home on Windows 7 and did a test with one module and it worked. Brought back up my XP Virtual machine and copied all of the files under Active Home over to my Windows 7 hard drive. Replaced the newly installed files on Windows 7, shut down the virtual machine and started up Active Home on Windows 7. All of my configurations were there and worked with no issue right now. So with that I de-installed the Virtual machine and so far so good....

Hope this at least helps someone with Active Home and Windows 7. You actually have two ways to get the software working on a Windows 7 machine....
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 01:30:58 PM by MR.WaynesWorld »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 12:35:18 PM »

Thank you for the update on your findings.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 12:34:19 AM »

MR.WaynesWorld,

Yes!  Thank you very much for that very helpful information!

I'm sure it will help all of us as the transition to Windows 7 takes hold!

It already helped me to know that 7 has a XP Mode!   #:)

>!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

JGM

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 07:41:09 PM »

Just trying to install Active home and plugins with new WIN 7 Pro 64 bit machine.  I did a web search for the setup files since my old email links were broken (vintage mail of 2011) and the downloads worked but the install failed saying that the server connection couldn't be made.  Active Home setup did make directory changes though but aborted after that.  I did not try and disabling the anti-virus or firewall.  Any hints?  Thanks JGM

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 07:44:01 AM »

The installation files are still looking for the old X10 Servers to download the complete programs.
Those servers are still off line. X10WTI went belly up.
The new owners of the X10 line are still trying to get them back on line.
Here is a link to tuicemens forums where there are tips on installing AHP.
http://tuicemen.com/forum/index.php?board=67.0

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.