Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1 DS10A on 2 Windows  (Read 17211 times)

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
1 DS10A on 2 Windows
« on: May 17, 2009, 08:25:53 AM »

How can I modify one of my DS10A's to monitor 2 windows? I have 2 windows side by side in a corner and don't want to use 2 different zones seeing how they are side by side... I tried running a jumper from one reed to the other, but the problem is BOTH of window magnets have to be moved at the same time before the DS10A will register. How can I make it to where it will work if only ONE is moved? Do I have to solder the second set of wires to the board or what?
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: 1 DS10A on 2 Windows
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 09:57:37 AM »

Sounds like you connected them in parallel. Two wires from the first switch across the second switch.
They need to be in series so if either one trips the sensor sends a open.
Connect one of the wires from the DS10 Base to one of the screws of the first switch. Connect a wire between the other screw on the first switch to one on the second switch. Then connect the second DS10 wire to the second switches other terminal.

[ DS10 Base ]-------[switch 1]-------[ switch 2]--|   
 [                ]------------------------------------|         

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 04:21:52 PM »

Brian H,

:)% That Done the trick !!!!

>! Thanks Brain
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 04:26:48 PM by Kramer Chins »
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 06:40:45 PM »

You are welcome.

jhensley

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 11:13:37 AM »

I understand the setup but can't find where to order additional magnetic contacts to put multiple switches on one wireless sensor.  Anyone have a link or an item number?

Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 11:42:58 AM »

X10 does sell them.

Though I would expect many electronics dealers like Radio Shack may have magnetic switches. Security related sites should also.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Adding_A_Switch_To_A_Door_Sensor
Extra switch is listed on the above link.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 01:05:21 PM »

As Brian H says: You can call 800-675-3044 to purchase extra magnet switches; ask for part number DW-MAG ($5/ea.)

BUT.... For Five Bucks.... you would be better off with one of X10's "newsletter deals". There is always a 3 fer or 4 fer deal with those. I keep extras as I use the DS10A's with my OnAlert software (and AHP with a running PC) to do all sorts of stuff.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 01:18:30 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 02:53:35 PM »

I bought batches of them from ebay.com   - lots of to choose from there.  and sometimes cheaper.  makes it easier to add multiple switches to one ds10 sender....

I do have a DS10 question for the wizards tho:  after loosing my 100k ahp file (I know shud have backed up better) and rebuilding it, I am now down to the last stuff, and that is the DS10's.  I have them all mapped thru V572RF32 and they all work there and their remapped standard x10 16bit codes all work in ahp.  But the Onalert add-in refuses to see any of them!  I stick DS10 into a room, hit the install button, and wait for signal but none see any.  I took one up next to the cm15 to see if my antenna was bad;  nothing.  my ant is good as I can see plenty of RF activity otherwise.  I had to remove and reinstall ahp and all add-ins multiple times in order to try to get my old ahp file to work (before I gave up and started building a new one).  Just reinstalled onalert again and ds10s still are not seen.  any one seen this before?

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 03:06:14 PM »

..... I stick DS10 into a room, hit the install button, and wait for signal but none see any. 

They don't auto-install themselves. Clicking the install button... causes the software to wait for a signal. You have to then manually cause the DS10A to send a signal. If it's on a door... try opening the door.

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 08:45:56 PM »

right.  sorry, didnt make it clear.  yes, I opened doors.  I brought a new one up to computer/cm15 and tried it right there to be sure it was not a signal problem.  pushing button or opening magnet sw.  ds10s all work but ahp does not see them.  I since tried my ds7000, security remote, key remotes and none are seen when I try to install;  they all show no sig.  like ahp installed onalert showing the devices but does not decode them.

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 09:27:38 PM »

right.  sorry, didnt make it clear.  yes, I opened doors.  I brought a new one up to computer/cm15 and tried it right there to be sure it was not a signal problem.  pushing button or opening magnet sw.  ds10s all work but ahp does not see them.  I since tried my ds7000, security remote, key remotes and none are seen when I try to install;  they all show no sig.  like ahp installed onalert showing the devices but does not decode them.

I can't recall ever hearing (reading) of that particular problem... if no one else has an idea (hopefully someone will) I'd call tech support.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.