Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 and NEPTUN dimmable CFL lights  (Read 7741 times)

leonpc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 and NEPTUN dimmable CFL lights
« on: May 19, 2009, 09:44:23 AM »

Having played and tested various CFLs with my X10 setup I have found that the N:Vision range of CFLs sold at Homedepot seems to work very well. Unfortunately none of the N:Vision CFLs are dimmable and I can tell you that the dimmable GE CFLs will wreck havoc on your system (They are very noisy.. so you can switch them on but can not turn them off and once they are on, no other X10 controllers works on that system)

There is a very good endorsement for dimmable CFLs that work very well with X10 but they are only available in the UK(http://www.varilight.co.uk).  I was looking for dimmable CFLs in the USA that will work with X10. In the search I found a company Neptun Lighting( http://www.neptunlight.com) that claims to have great CFLs that is compatible with X10.  I am thinking of ordering a couple to test but since they are more expensive than any other brand I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with these. 

Regards

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: X10 and NEPTUN dimmable CFL lights
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 04:22:54 PM »

Having played and tested various CFLs with my X10 setup I have found that the N:Vision range of CFLs sold at Homedepot seems to work very well. Unfortunately none of the N:Vision CFLs are dimmable.......

Thanks leonpc.

I've nearly given up on dimming lights myself. I still have eight can-lights (overhead floods) in my home theater. And I do dim them. But when the movie ends... I now turn on other less direct lighting.. to bring up the house lights.

I am convinced dimming was never more than a afterthought solution for retrofit wiring of older homes anyway. I can remember when (in the 50's) restats were all the rage. As far as saving energy.... dimming really isn't very efficient. It's much cheaper to have an extra 3 or 5 watt lamp.. to use for dim lighting.. instead of a 20 watt lamp dimmed for low light [that still uses most of the 20 watts]. Of course... this method requires more lamps, lights and fixtures.. and a lot of forethought too.

But like it [dimming] or not... wether I switch to CFLs or LEDs... it seems to be harder to dim now. Thanks again for the info... and let us know if you do find dimable lights in the future.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 04:30:31 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 04:47:16 PM »

Dimmable CFL lights are available in the US/Canada, but they are in the $12 - $14 range anywhere, while assorted CFLs are in the $3-$4 range. 3 range (30-70-100 watt) CFL's are available in the US. I'd like to convert my 4 swag lights in the Living Room to CFLs, but the current ones are too tall to fit the lamp harps in the lights.  I need a 3 range CFL the same dimensions as the current 3 range incandescents I use.  I'll wait.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 06:16:59 PM »

When you said X10. You are talking about Lamp Modules and not two wire wall switches?
No CFL should be used with a two wire X10 device that uses the load to provide it's power.

I have had mixed results with dimmable CFL bulbs and it also depends on if your lamp modules are the newer soft start ones. Most  I have tried; like to be started at 100% and then dimmed down. The soft start ones slowly ramp up and down. Most I have seen do not ramp in a linear dim.

I have had very good results with the CCFL [Cold Cathode Flourescent Lights]. Problem with the CCFL is they are only reasonably priced in the lower wattage. I have seven MicroBrite eight watt [45 watt equiv.] CCFL's in use right now and do like them.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 07:59:03 PM »

Another way to save energy... without any negative effects on a X10 setup is by using Blackle the black google.

Black (or dark) Web Page backgrounds... save energy.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:01:39 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

leonpc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 03:58:13 PM »

I am sort of going back to this...

I have found these in the US that seems to work very well with X10 and is dimmable... PureSpectrum 20W Fully Dimmable Spiral CFL
The only problem that I have with them is that they are bigger then standard incandescent bulbs.  They are however fully dimmable and does not generate noise on the line which I find helpful.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 04:27:22 PM »

They are however fully dimmable...
The specs say dimmable from 100% to 20%.

But, keep us apprised. I tried one dimmable CFL that worked fine with X10 for a few weeks and then became erratic.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 06:32:54 PM »

If the reason for switching to CFL/LED is to save energy, that's one thing.  If the reason for the switch is due to availability of standard incandescent, I just found a possible alternative that SHOULD remain fully X10 compatible without any noise.

http://www.usa.philips.com/c/energy-saving-light-bulbs/ecovantage-72w-a19-clear-046677410483/prd/en/

The Philips ecoVantage bulb just made it to my local HomeDepot late last month.  I have not tried it yet, but it should be a direct swap for standard bulbs and still meet the efficiency requirements set by the US government (possibly others as well).  Has anyone tried these?  They look like a xeon bulb inside a standard A19 shell.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 07:04:26 PM »

They look like a xeon bulb inside a standard A19 shell.

They're halogen. You can shorten their life by dimming them.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 09:46:47 PM »

They're halogen. You can shorten their life by dimming them.
According to GE Lighting in Cincinatti; dimming from 100% through about 70% shortens filament life, but if you dim to less than 60% you will end up extending filament life, same as in standard incandescent.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 10:23:29 PM »

According to GE Lighting in Cincinatti; dimming from 100% through about 70% shortens filament life, but if you dim to less than 60% you will end up extending filament life, same as in standard incandescent.
According to wikipedia, it depends on design details.
Plus, high temperatures are necessary to complete the halogen cycle

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 01:59:12 AM »

I can't say whether dimming these bulbs would reduce their life span, but they should work just like any other incandescent bulb would without producing negative affects related to x10.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 04:25:49 AM »

Halogen bulbs require special handling. See the wikipedia page referenced above for details.

And, here is a webpage that covers halogens in some detail.
It directly contradicts the GE dimming blurb.

Finally, two of the three customer reviews on the Philips webpage referenced above complain of very early failures - my guess, they were dimmed below 70%.

I'm not saying don't use them - I am saying be aware of possible problems.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:45:26 PM by dhouston »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.