Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: problems with VR36A  (Read 13696 times)

xtremchevy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
problems with VR36A
« on: May 21, 2009, 07:03:16 PM »

Have a question on this... I"m have problems with my VR36A connecting to all the cameras. I did the mod and there was no change. I checked the cable and there was continuity between the feed line (center wire) and the shield. dealing with antenna cables at work I know that this isn't normal. so my Question is; is this normal for this unit? B:(

Thanks for the help!

Michael

trol1374

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: problems with VR36A
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 11:35:15 PM »

You know you will only get one camera at a time, right?  you need to be sure to trigger the other camera's off and only one transmitting or they will interfer.  If you are doing that, then do you have any other 2.4ghz electronics in the house?  Such as wireless router, phone..

xtremchevy

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 12:20:38 AM »

Yes I know that I will only get one live camera at a time. I can scroll thru the cameras sometimes ( I have a CM19A). Sometimes I can get a picture out #1 camera and then a few second later that camera not picking up and #5 camera then sometimes #3, #4 which are closer to the receiver "bleeds over" on Camera #1. and so on with Camera #2, #3 and #4. Camera #1 is the further from the receiver (30' to 40' max.). I tried changing the Channels and house codes... the house is a single floor ranch with a sunroom (where the computer and VR36A is) the house is only 1900 sq ft.

Yes, I have a 2.4g cordless phone which I disconnected and the router... is still running. unplugged the other phone that I forgot about and disabled the router and still the same thing! before I modified the receiver, I was getting three sometime four out five cameras, just had problem with Camera #1. I was hoping that the mod would work so, I could put one out front and watch the front door and the kids windows ( to make sure that the were not sneaking out!) I think that the the radio is fried in this unit.  B:( I can get one camera and that about it.. doesn't matter if I have the ext. antenna plugged in or not.

I see that X10 has two units for the price of one, so I might just get that and try again! unless someone else checked the cable and found that there was continuity between the feed line (center wire) and the shield.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 06:27:51 AM »

Hopefully someone with the mod cam measure it for you.
If the VR36A has an RF Input transformer or tuned coil, that short maybe normal.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 08:47:08 PM »

...... I checked the cable and there was continuity between the feed line (center wire) and the shield. dealing with antenna cables at work I know that this isn't normal. so my Question is; is this normal for this unit?

It doesn't sound normal to me ether.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 09:01:44 PM »

I done the mod on the VR36A, mine works GREAT  :)% !!!!

:' I don't know anything about the continuity issue or how to help you fix it. But would be interested in knowing how you resolve it!
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

xtremchevy

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 11:48:26 PM »

Well I got my new reciever in and I checked the continuity between the feed line (center wire) and the shield and it had continuity. the new one isn't any better that the other one. I guess I need to try to find the correct antenna and rewire the unit. I was using a wlan antenna that I use for our buses to d/l and u\l info to our server via wlan. (Yes, its rated at 2.4) and I tried building one also. I have also tried all four setting and nothing seems to work.
Question I have is; where is everybody have their unit located? Are they centally located in the house or at one end of the house.
the problem that I have is that the computer that I'm using is in our "sunroom" which is at the far end of the house but we have four camera very close to the VR36a and one is about 30 to 40' away. I can only get one or two camera come in.

I think tomorrow, I'm going to unplug a couple of the Camera and locate on the garage and see if that will help out, I starting to wonder if I'm getting bleed over from the all the camera since they are so close together. the only problem that I have is that the Garage isn't no on the same electrical service. Would this be a problem?

If anyone has any good suggestion, I sure could use some..

Thanks,
Michael

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 09:42:51 AM »

The cameras are turned on and off by powerline signal.  So, you might have  a problem there.  If your not getting them to turn off and on in there current location I doubt that you'll get them to turn on and off on a totally different service.

I don't have a cm19 so I really can't comment on it.  But I have seen pictures of it and it looks like it has the same rat tail antenna that the mr26 has.  In that case it probably doesn't have great range capabilities.  I assume that your using the  tm751?  If so have you tried moving it around to a different outlet and testing?

If your getting bleed over than that normally means that one or more of your cameras isn't turning off.  Which means that the cm19 is probably getting the signal to the tm751 since you can switch once in a while.  Your problem is probably that the tm751 is sending the powerline signal but you have noise on the powerline and the signal is not getting to the right cameras to turn them on or off.  So you have 2 or more cameras on at a time which in turn causes bleed over.

You also might have a phase issue.  One or more of your cameras might be on a different phase and can't get the signal from the tm751 that is on the other phase.  Whenever you plug a camera in it is automatically turned on, and if your not getting a powerline signal to it than it will stay on.  Then when you try to switch cameras that camera will stay on and then the camera you want will turn on.  Bleedover.

There are several threads here about phase, noise, and reception issues.  All though, I don't think you have video reception issues.  I would unplug all cameras except one that you know works.  Add a second camera and work on it till it works, third and so on.  If a camera doesn't work move to a different outlet that is on the same phase as the tm751.  If you can get it to work on the same phase as the tm751 and not on another then you probably have some kind of phase or noise issues.  And will probably have to invest in some more equipment to make it work right.

Maybe a phase coupler, noise filters, amplifier   ;)  Hope this gives you some insight.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 09:45:34 AM »

Question I have is; where is everybody have their unit located? Are they centally located in the house or at one end of the house.
I have a video receiver actually located in the eves of my shed. It's a great location for my wireless camers (I use BOTH wired and wireless). I then run video cable from the video receiver to a central location in my basement.

It's from that central [basement] location... that I then run the camera views to the PC. For that last run I modulate the video to a standard channel 3... and run the video on my internal coax network (which I also use for DVD's from my theater). I use a VCR to convert the cameras [now channel 3] video back to RCA video. Then... one last leg is converted back to another 2.4 GHz channel and re-sent to my upstairs TV. If the TV is on when activity is detected (by a floodlight -PR511- motion sendor) it is automaticly displayed.

......... I starting to wonder if I'm getting bleed over from the all the camera since they are so close together.

If your cameras are setup in the "group(s) of 4" only one will be on at a time.

the only problem that I have is that the Garage isn't no on the same electrical service. Would this be a problem?
Yep... It should be. However.... you could extend the power supply for the camera. And locate the power supply closer to your PC and the camera in a more remote area. Sometimes... it can just be easier to just mix a wired camera in with your wireless ones.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

xtremchevy

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 09:53:48 PM »

Thanks Guys... The system is up and running somewhat... I just need to tweak the antenna a little; some camera still want to roll a little and or has static on them but they 5 out the 7 are working right now. I was able to get the one out in the garage to work (separate service) just couldn't get it to turn off... and I think that I need to relocated the out that is close to the receiver.

Thanks again. I will keep you posted when it is totally working right and off life support. The kids are going to hate me.. lol  rofl

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.