Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Should the cameras work on a GFCI outlet?  (Read 12647 times)

suesloan

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Should the cameras work on a GFCI outlet?
« on: May 29, 2009, 10:34:31 AM »

I want to put a couple of cameras outside of the house, but all the outside outlets are GFCI. I tried two different outlets with two different cameras, and when I did that, all 4 cameras selected in my Vanguard software showed one inside camera's image.

This would appear to be a major limitation? Sue

trol1374

Re: Should the cameras work on a GFCI outlet?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 12:42:17 AM »

I would say it should work.  However, you may have to do a test to see if you can "control" the outlet.  Use a lamp/appl module and see if you can turn it on/off with computer or remote.
  You might just be having reception issues 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 06:05:21 AM »

Testing the outlets, as suggested with a lamp or appliance module. Would show if there was a power line signal problem to those outlets.
Also the signal from the wireless cameras may not be getting back to the receiver. They tend to be directional and affected by what is between the camera and receiver. Like walls and metal objects. The antennas also have to be correctly pointing at each other.

suesloan

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 08:32:26 AM »

I do not have any lamp/appliance modules. All I have is the 4 cameras. I will continue testing as best I can.

Sue

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 09:26:21 AM »

I want to put a couple of cameras outside of the house, but all the outside outlets are GFCI. I tried two different outlets with two different cameras, and when I did that, all 4 cameras selected in my Vanguard software showed one inside camera's image.

This would appear to be a major limitation? Sue

You could always extend the length of your camera cables so they will reach an inside outlet.  >! This is what I done to all my outside cameras. I didn't like the idea of plugging them in outside so someone could just unplug them. So now all my power supplies are inside.

The mod is pretty easy to do! I used CAT5 for my extensions. Just cut your camera cord strip the ends. Careful not to cut away the "Silver Sheild" around the "RED and WHITE" Wires, this is the GROUND. Then all you have to do is splice in the length you need of CAT5 or Phone Wire. Example: I used the Orange wire (on the CAT5) for the "RED" wire on my camera and the Blue Wire (CAT5) for the "WHITE" wire on my camera. Then I used the "Green" (CAT5) for the GROUND on my camera. I taped my ends and then used Shrink Tubbing to hold them.

If you need LESS then 20ft. to reach your "Inside" outlet, you could use a Phono Extension instead. Just plug the extension in and your ready to go!!!
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

suesloan

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 09:43:47 AM »

OK! Thank you for that suggestion! SUe

ciaccia

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »

Ok first make sure the GFCI receptacle is not in a tripped state meaning push the reset button in.  If it looks ok then hit the red test button or yours may be a different color and see if it trips if it does then hit reset again usually black pending on the brand.  This means there is power and your GFCI is working properly.  Then lets take it from there.

suesloan

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 11:06:58 AM »

In this house, the circuit breaker is where you test/reset the entire string of outlets. I know there is power to those outlets. I can run a vacuum, for example. Sue

suesloan

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 12:36:21 PM »

You could always extend the length of your camera cables so they will reach an inside outlet.  >! This is what I done to all my outside cameras. I didn't like the idea of plugging them in outside so someone could just unplug them. So now all my power supplies are inside.

Ok, I put the camera on an outside wall upstairs (deck access) and plugged into an inside outlet with the wire coming in thru the door. It works with Vanguard as far as seeing what is out there. So that is helpful.

Now the problem is the Eagle Motion Detector -- when I put it downstairs on the outside wall to detect movement in the area where cars are parked, it does not detect any motion. So it does not activate the camera. The little red light does not blink until I move the detector a long distance from where I want it -- back into the house, actually.

Question1: The Motion Detector communicates with the transceiver(White box with antenna) and then the transceiver communicates thru the house wiring to the camera? Is this how it works?

Question2: How far from the transceiver can the Motion Detector be located? (I moved it to an outlet in the kitchen about 20 feet from the detector from a location upstairs and it still does not work)

Sue

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 03:08:58 PM »

Question 1 answer: Yes
Question 2 answer: This can be a few inches up to 100 feet.
The major draw back with Any RF signal seems to be  large metal objects blocking a line of sight to the receiver.
There are other factors that can affect signal distance like other RF devices on the same frequency.
Doing a search for "RF noise" and or "RF reception" should reveal what others have found and how they remedied it!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 01:14:40 PM »

The little red light does not blink until I move the detector a long distance from where I want it -- back into the house, actually.
Tuicemen may not have noticed that line, which indicates it may not be an RF problem but a field of view problem.

When the detector is placed where you want it and the red light does not light, (i.e. no motion), is this also true at night? If the motion sensor works at night, then look for something "blinding" the motion sensor during the day (bright direct sunlight, bright reflection from something, a heat source between sensor and the area you want to survey, etc).

Also, the motion sensors detector is most sensitve to movement perpendicular to the sensor lens. It is least sensitive to movement directly towards the motion sensor lens or away from the lens. The instructions used to set up the X10 motion sensors have diagrams showing best mounting. 

Finally, infrared motion sensors are not always good at picking up automobiles, especially on warm days.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 04:37:00 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

suesloan

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 03:01:45 PM »

The only things in the motion detector field of vision were me, a pickup truck about 30 feet away, and some trees. I walked back and forth, to and fro, no little red light. I moved the receiver downstairs about 15 feet from the detector and the other three work, but not that one.

If I move it into a "mud room" it works, but it would need to detect an approaching person thru glass, or when they walk thru the room.

I am not sure now that the motion detectors are worth messing with further. I may just disable them all so the cameras stay on all the time, assuming that is what they will do. I have only 4-5 more days to mess with this before I leave!

Sue

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.