Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2 false alarms in one night  (Read 13281 times)

danandcarol376

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
2 false alarms in one night
« on: May 30, 2009, 09:18:08 AM »

We've had our x10 security for 6-7 months with no problems; however last night we had a false alarm at 1:30 and again a couple of hours later.  We don't have the motion detectors, only the door-window sensors.  Both times, number 8 on the console was lighted (a window), we checked it and the window was secure (as well as all the others).  A week ago we changed all the batteries and added some keychain remotes.  Anyone have any ideas why we could be getting these two false alarms?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: 2 false alarms in one night
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 09:59:03 AM »

....  A week ago we changed all the batteries and added some keychain remotes.  Anyone have any ideas why we could be getting these two false alarms?

Everything worked for 6 months... now there is a problem. What changed(?)... the batteries.

• You could have a bad.. albeit NEW battery.
  • With the seasonal change... normal expansion could cause the magnet to move just far enough from the reed-switch to cause a trigger.
  • An object, that blocks or interferes with the sensors signal has been placed between the sensor and console, or the console has been moved.
  • Due to moisture (rain), other damage, or reasons unknown... the door/window sensor DS10A has failed and needs replaced.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

spam4us

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 01:45:14 AM »

I agree with the above.

ALSO.....check to make sure the batteries are seated firmly. Take the battery out and stretch the spring that hold the battery in place.

I had the same problem as you and this cured it.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 04:37:33 PM »

Bet you didn't set new security codes  -:)  This can cause one sensor to trigger the other. Go back and setup new security codes for each sensor.

Tom j.

mcguire_1511

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Question?
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 04:34:32 PM »

Is there any way that you can stop a door/window sensor from chimming every hour when a door is left open, and still be notified when setting the home alarm, that a door may be opened?

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 06:00:24 PM »

Are you saying that a door/window left open will cause the door sensor to chime at the one-hour door sensor check?  I wasn't aware of that, but maybe I was never around at the particular time.  Of course, as you know, if you try to arm the system with a door open you will get notification with an open door.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 09:39:12 PM »

If you put the console in "run 2 mode" the DS10A sensor will chime when triggered... or if triggered already... during the heart beat check in. The chime can be stopped by simply running in "run 1 mode".

I don't know of anyway to have the chime NOT chime... if in run 2 and the sensor is triggered. Your could try avoiding triggering the DS10A... ether with a second magnet or merely closing the door.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

everydayflyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 03:40:54 PM »

I use the second magnet trick to close the open switch on our front which leads out to the Sun porch as we leave it open from time to time. Also do the same on my shop door when I have the door(s) open down there. I use 1/4 " dia.  1/8" thick rare earth magnets which hold in place (even upside down) extremely well.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.