Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Would you be intrested in controlling your home automation system via SMS and MSN? Feel free to say why or why not and read the thread ;) !!!

Yes
- 18 (75%)
No
- 6 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Text Message/SMS Control  (Read 70912 times)

ThePharaoh

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Text Message/SMS Control
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2009, 12:53:38 AM »

Keep checking the thread for updates....ill try to keep you up to date with how its going!!!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 02:13:50 PM by ThePharaoh »

raster69273

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2009, 02:17:06 PM »

Since text messaging sometimes takes several hours to be delivered, won't this be an unreliable option?

ThePharaoh

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2009, 02:26:55 PM »

no, i have tested text message updates to twitter....and it works almost instantly

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2009, 02:50:22 PM »

Since text messaging sometimes takes several hours to be delivered, won't this be an unreliable option?
no, i have tested text message updates to twitter....and it works almost instantly
While texting is instant most of the time, there are times when every cell provider can get delayed. This is why I'd like to see a feedback text.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

ThePharaoh

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2009, 11:03:49 PM »

HEY!! great news...i just finished my prototype...and things are looking really well...the delay is more than i expected...but it is way less than what it would be with email....it takes about 30-60 seconds for a response...but i think thats not too unreasonable...im still trying to minimize it a bit...but i think its pretty good so far....

also...im making it run by python script...which ill transfer to a software soon with the help of vb6...to make it more user friendly.....im really pleased with how things are going....

just keeping u posted like i promised

***edit***

While texting is instant most of the time, there are times when every cell provider can get delayed. This is why I'd like to see a feedback text.
Sorry Steven, i forgot to respond lol. I have created the software so that twitter will send you a direct message saying "Command Confirmed" or something similar once it has recieved the command and it has been processed by the software.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 02:18:13 PM by ThePharaoh »

ThePharaoh

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2009, 02:29:33 AM »

I am coming close to finalizing my first system. I will be finished, hopefully, by the end of this week and i will post images and full details. After months of hard work and frustration, and learning multiple new programming languages and pulling out lots of hair...the following features will be included...

-Control of x10 devices via SMS
-Control of x10 devices via twitter
-The ability to dim/brighten/turn on/turn off
-ability to control all 16 devices on all 16 housecodes (256 total)
-a text message sent to your phone to confirm that your sms command was recieved
-the ability to name devices
-very insignificant delay of a minute or two
-easy setup and install
-detailed user's manual
-ease of fixing errors/bugs...all i have to do is send you a new software
-sexy software which is very easy to use
-and the list goes on....

I am really proud of what i have done so far.....

Anyways...i will be looking for my first purchasers...who will also be beta testers....and they will have my full technical support

If you are interested..please let me know via a pm or a post...and we shall determine a reasonable, well discounted price for my first 5 purchasers/beta testers....

Thanks guys....

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 02:36:49 AM by ThePharaoh »

ThePharaoh

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2009, 01:16:20 PM »

This is taking longer than i expected LOL...but hey...im just polishing up the code now...and the hardware....

Anyway, i have really minimized the cost...and ill be selling them for about 40-50 dollars...which i think is pretty cheap....
Also, i was debating whether or not to make it a full function controller...which would not be too difficult right now, that also allows using your pc to turn on and off...dim...bright etc....

I really need your input guys!!!
Cheers  >!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 01:43:48 PM by ThePharaoh »

Freeman

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2009, 07:34:57 AM »

Be nice to see some pics of your hardware setup and also some screen shots of your App GUI to give us an idea. Need to show what we are paying for!!

Sam

ps: most likely will be interested in this!
Eventually my house will control me .......

ThePharaoh

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2009, 01:38:18 PM »

LOL ...finally...someone speaks!!!

ok, im going to put up pictures of the gui, the hardware, complete details, and give a link to the user manual im creating...soon!!!

The only reason im delayed is (this is embarrassing but...) i accidently drilled through my microcontroller while i was casing the product  B:( . But, im ordering a new one soon, so ill have everything done, hopefully by the weekend. Meanwhile, while i wait for lazy old UPS....ill work on improving my code and gui and creating the manual....

Thanks so much for showing your interest!!! 

Freeman

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2009, 09:25:14 PM »

rofl haha! I shouldn't laugh but I have done this stupid act trying to house an arduino on a little robot of mine. driller not only through the board but also into the motor gear housing and destroyed that also. Better luck on your next drilling session!

Awaiting some pics!
Eventually my house will control me .......

ThePharaoh

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2009, 02:40:34 PM »

LOL..wow...glad to know im not the only one ;) .
I was in a hurry, so i kinda wasn't thinking straight. I usually mark where to drill and then take the arduino out of the casing before drilling. Wow, hey, i at least learned my lesson  -:) . I just hope ups would hurry up lol.

**Edit**
Sorry guys its taking so long. My order was mis-shipped  B:( so im busy now going through the insurance crap to get my order replaced. I have the software done, now i just have to wait for the arduino so i can case things up and get some pics for you guys!! Sorry to keep you waiting.

Oh and by the way, i am very pleased to say that the poll, as of now, finally shows that the majority of people are interested!!! Whoooo!!!  >!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 06:15:03 PM by ThePharaoh »

ThePharaoh

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2009, 08:46:36 PM »

I have almost perfected it. I unfortunately have been having trouble finding time to work on it more since the start of school, but my Christmas break is coming up and hopefully i will manage to finish it then. I have spent some time working on a prototype so that i could ensure that i could speed things up. I am now integrating msn instead of twitter since its more reliable and tons faster. I have tested it with my simple software called "Simon Sings". It basically takes an im from your instant messenger (off the phone is basically the best idea, or im sure you can have sms instant messageing setup from the site...ill write a guide since this will also be integrated into simon says (the x10 controller)) and locates the song you request from youtube or your pc and plays it. Its pretty sweet...ill display that on the site soon...at least until i can finish the x10 controller. Thanks so much for your interest!!! And sorry for keeping you waiting.

ThePharaoh

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2010, 08:43:58 PM »

I have posted regarding the prototype that shows msn/sms control. It controls music, not the x10 system, but it displays the way the msn x10 controller will work. If you wish to beta test it, it is called Simon Sings...i posted it in the audio video section.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2010, 09:54:07 PM »

.... If you wish to beta test it, it is called Simon Sings...i posted it in the audio video section.

A link could be helpful.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

ThePharaoh

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2010, 11:46:09 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.