Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Decora Dimmer Switch to use with IR-543  (Read 7977 times)

vashwood

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Decora Dimmer Switch to use with IR-543
« on: June 16, 2009, 12:11:18 AM »

I ordered some new rail lighting.  It's going to have 5 fixtures that use 50 Watt MR16 GU10 Bulbs and I want the lights to be dimmable.

I already have the IR-543 control center and I'm just wondering what dimmer switch you guys recommend I use with my new lights?  I want to be able to turn on/off and dim with my remote control.

I was reading about the WS12A, but I wasn't sure if it would work or not.  I want to avoid any buzzing from the dimmer switch.

I was looking into this since I read that Insteon is backwards compatible w/ X10.
http://www.smarthome.com/2876DB/ICON-Dimmer-INSTEON-Remote-Control-Dimmer-Switch/p.aspx
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 12:29:08 AM by vashwood »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Decora Dimmer Switch to use with IR-543
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 06:40:09 AM »

Are the lights 120 volt bulbs or do they have a power supply running them?
If they have a power supply is it rated to dim?

The Insteon and Icon switches have to have a Neutral Power wire to work. So make sure a Neutral is available in the switch box. Links to the Users Manual and Quick Guides are on the web page.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 06:45:04 AM by Brian H »

vashwood

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 10:41:05 AM »

They have a power supply.  How do I figure out if they are rated to dim? The sales person selling me the lights was going to include a dimmer switch in the package though before I decided to go the x10 route.

What's the main difference between the WS12A and the 2876DB?

http://www.x10.com/products/x10_ws12a.htm

vs

http://www.smarthome.com/2876DB/ICON-Dimmer-INSTEON-Remote-Control-Dimmer-Switch/p.aspx

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 12:05:24 PM »

They have a power supply.  What's the main difference between the WS12A and the 2876DB?

http://www.x10.com/products/x10_ws12a.htm

vs

$15   rofl

Sorry couldn't help it.

Different manufactures, but from an X10 protocol stand point, the two switches functionally very similar. The Smarthome 2876DB switch requires a neutral wire in the wall box (3 wires minimum, not counting bare copper ground wire). The X10 WS12A does not require the neutral line to work.

Are you sure the GU10s have a power supply (as in reducing 120V to 12V)?
Although the GU10 is a base standard, not a voltage standard, the GU10 base was designed to be high voltage (i.e. 120V and 240V configurations).

The power supply is a consideration because the X10, WS12A should only drive incandescent bulbs, not CFLs, or low voltage lights using power supplies or transformers.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

vashwood

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 12:14:23 PM »

This is the power supply for my lighting system.  There is also a link to the spec.  I believe you're right and they are 120V

http://www.noralighting.com/cgi-bin/displayproduct.pl?file=norarail-accessories&index=NRS90-P80&title=Nora%20Rail%20Accessories&cfile=0

Is there a type of compatible switch that would work best with that system?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 12:18:41 PM by vashwood »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 12:19:28 PM »

If you add a X10 primary address to the Icon or Insteon version. When you locally turn it on or off. It sends an X10 on or off back on the powerline for the address it is on.
One difference I do remember is if you locally dim. It sends a preset level command and not a stream of X10 signals like from an controller. Also the X10 switch is one way and will not report its level if queried. Though I believe the reported level is not the same as what a two way X10 would report.

I have some Insteon Relay versions running CFLs with X10 Primary and Scene addresses and X10 switches also. Kind of a mixed setup. No such thing as an Insteon Chime Module. ;D

vashwood

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 12:37:36 PM »

If it works, I'm leaning towards the 2476D if I have the neutral wire.  I will check when I get home.  I just moved into a brand new place so I'm hoping it has it.

One more thing, can I just use my remote to have the IR-543 send 'on' commands to set up the 2476D?  I don't have my original X10 remote anymore.

vashwood

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 02:22:39 PM »

I just popped it open.  The current switches have a Red, Black, copper wire going to it.  And There's a bunch of white wire that isnt being used, and I'm assuming that's the neutral wire I'm supposed to use?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 04:23:38 PM »

If there are a bunch of white wires all connected together in the rear of the switch box. They are most likely Neutral wires not needed by the present switch.

If you have not done so. The full users manual for the switch is on their web site.

Any X10 sender that can send the proper On and Off to the address selected should work fine. I believe the X10 standard dim commands will also work, but other with the switch in question, may have a better answer. As I have only a mixture of X10 and Insteon and all are the relay type on CFL bulbs. With a few X10 wall switches, on bulbs where the switches have no neutrals and I have to use ones that steal power through the loads.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.