Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 Computer Interface | Party Button  (Read 8459 times)

woot903

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 Computer Interface | Party Button
« on: June 21, 2009, 11:12:01 PM »

HELP                      HELP                  HELP                     HELP                              HELP                               HELP                                      HELP                                            HELP                  HELP
Hello, I have been looking for a way to control my x10 modules using my computer. But I want to be able to send a signal wirelessly to my computer. Then I want my computer to forward this message out to all of my x10 devices and modules to turn it on. But I want my computer to know if the modules are currently on or off. That way the computer basically toggles the status of the modules that are connected to it. I am wondering if I need Active Home Pro, or If I just need to use Smart Macros. If you do not understand what I am talking about, please go to http://plasma2002.com/epb/ because I am building the same thing shown on the website as a project. Please Help Me!

B:(

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: X10 Computer Interface | Party Button
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 07:05:57 AM »

You will need Active Home Pro to use the Smart Macro plugin plus a Big Red Button to do what you want, however AHP is not wireless. The CM15A interface is plugged into both the AC power and the PC AHP is on.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 09:15:06 AM »

.... I want to be able to send a signal wirelessly to my computer. Then I want my computer to forward this message out to all of my x10 devices and modules to turn it on.

X10 offers many wireless remotes... although the setup in the video (I've seen it before) is very creative and impressive... it is basic X10.

But I want my computer to know if the modules are currently on or off. That way the computer basically toggles the status of the modules that are connected to it. I am wondering if I need Active Home Pro, or If I just need to use Smart Macros.

TV remotes toggle.. because they send the same signal for ON as it does for OFF. X10 sends a different signal for OFF... so pressing ON twice doesn't toggle things OFF. But... you will still need AHP with the entire suite of software (including the Smart Marco).. it is only $50. You will of course need a few other X10 devices to control.

If you do not understand what I am talking about, please go to http://plasma2002.com/epb/ because I am building the same thing shown on the website as a project.

We understand. I even support and praise you for your insight to see what the possibilities are. I use a similar "setup macro" for my Home Theater. Even my wife can turn out the lights and turn on all the equipment (including the projector and powered sub-wolfer) by pushing just one button on a normal (Home Theater) remote control. Or I can simply say: "Computer... Theater On" .

I really appreciate the safety, security, and convenience of my X10 setup everyday. But a BIG part of the fun of X10 is showing it off to friends and visitors. The big RED Party Button is a very nice touch. But... it's creator may have gone just a bit overboard with its engineering (I LIKE THAT). I think... you could simply hack an X10 PalmPad remote (or even a DS10A)... and then use a RED BUTTON to activate the RF signal. Or... maybe create your own "activation device".

Good luck with your project! And remember we're here if you have problems.... or not. We enjoy hearing about such things.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 01:48:04 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

plasma2002

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 05:10:22 PM »

Heya!

Im the creator of the Emergency Party Button - Sorry it took so long for me to get here, haha.

I just thought that I would add one piece of detail in here... for my project, I wasnt using anything to detect whether or not any device was turned on or off.

Instead of sending a "toggle" command, I was just sending an ON command to every device, then when i was done, I would send out the OFF command to every device. It of course leaves a chance that a few devices could get left on or off by accident, but it never happened in my case.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 07:48:12 PM »

... Im the creator of the Emergency Party Button - Sorry it took so long for me to get here, haha.

Welcome to the forum plasma2002. I've enjoyed your video a bunch!!! I have my own YouTube channel... but my 25K plus views are nothing compared to your near 400K views of just the Emergency Party Button
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.