Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Security cam monitoring without home computer  (Read 3020 times)

winchester62

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Security cam monitoring without home computer
« on: June 23, 2009, 01:06:33 AM »

How can I monitor a home security camera from a remote computer without that cam being connected to a computer in the monitored house?  I don't leave my home computer on but I still want to get a cam to set up and monitor remotely with internet (and iphone).  Is this possible?  How?

ITguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
Re: Security cam monitoring without home computer
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 10:44:34 AM »

Hi winchester62,

I don't know of any way to do this with X10 products, but you can easily do it with some of the "I.P. cam" or security products.  Problem is, none of them are cheap!  You can check out this Costco link

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?whse=BC&topnav=&prodid=11472573&ec=BC-EC877-CatHome&pos=19&lang=en-US

for a system that does exactly what you're requesting - but it's $500 on sale!

Less expensive, but still high, are the I.P. cameras.  I'm not pushing Costco, just using them as an easy place to find examples.  Here's a pair for about $300.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11483455&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79|83&N=4001405&Mo=15&No=13&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4802&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Doing a Google search on "IP camera" will give you tons of sources.

All-in-all, you'd probably be better to stick with AHP (with all the options) and just buy an inexpensive PC to dedicate to the purpose!  You'll need a fair amount of CPU "horsepower" if you want to use video recording, etc.  Right now, you can find the whole AHP package in the X10 "on sale" section for just $49.99 - http://www.x10.com/onsale/index.html

Not sure how much other X10 equipment you might already have, but there's a pretty good deal right now on a 6-camera system with a lot of extras for under $300.  Does NOT include AHP, but does include Vanguard, so it might be enough to do what you need.

Hope that helps!

ITguy

winchester62

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 11:16:24 AM »

Thanks, ITguy.  I'll look at those options.  I really appreciate the advice!

-W

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 04:07:01 PM »

How can I monitor a home security camera from a remote computer .

If your really thinking just one camera.... there are many IP cameras out there. Some low cost ones that can be used wirelessly or connected to your broadband network with a CAT5 patch cord. Many can be configured to send an email (to your cell phone?) if it detects motion. Or even email an image or video clip.

I have an older Linksys IP camera I picked up cheap... and the video quality is awesome.

........... and monitor remotely with internet (and iphone).  Is this possible?

Theres the problem. my IP camera uses an ActiveX viewer. I don't think that works on normal cell phones.... I also don't think it will work on iphone. The best that can be done at this time.... that I know about are images.

Hopefully... we will get some feedback from users actually viewing images on a cell phone.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 04:21:54 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.