Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: wireless home security system not secure  (Read 25371 times)

ajermo

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: wireless home security system not secure
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 05:47:21 PM »

Let this thread die. I am over qualified to quantify the quality and security of my system. Over 20 years of Electronics experience. I expected to much from the system. For the cost of what I have it's still a great deal. For the application it's in I'll never again trust it for security inside or out. A few lines of code could easily "fix" the battery issue but then you can't get around a paperclip, magnet, or just shutting the  system off.

As I stated, for the cost it's still a good deal.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 11:00:57 PM »

One of the kids friends came over at 3am during summer break and got into the house without the alarm going off. Yes, the alarm was fully armed. How did the kids so easily bypass the system? They took the batteries out of the sensor. Any change in sensor status should immediately trip the alarm including the sensor losing power...
The professional system I have has sensors on the all wireless units that trip if the battery compartment is opened and all the doors have concealed sensors. i.e. No visible wires to short.
I don't know if it's common or not but I believe some (maybe only the very high end systems) do an impedance check to prevent contact shorting. i.e. The reed sensors have a specific resistance that the circuit recognizes. Of course the X10 system does not fall into this category and can be easily shorted by an inside person.
As others have have said and you probably now realize, your real problem is dealing with the "inside person".

Say Steve getting ready to add a few wireless sensors to my DSC hybrid system so I'm going to have to check if mine will prevent tampering like yours do. Sure hope so hadn't really thought about it unit you pointed this out. Thanks!

Tom j.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 12:54:23 AM »

One of the kids friends came over at 3am during summer break and got into the house without the alarm going off. Yes, the alarm was fully armed. How did the kids so easily bypass the system? They took the batteries out of the sensor. Any change in sensor status should immediately trip the alarm including the sensor losing power...
The professional system I have has sensors on the all wireless units that trip if the battery compartment is opened and all the doors have concealed sensors. i.e. No visible wires to short.
I don't know if it's common or not but I believe some (maybe only the very high end systems) do an impedance check to prevent contact shorting. i.e. The reed sensors have a specific resistance that the circuit recognizes. Of course the X10 system does not fall into this category and can be easily shorted by an inside person.
As others have have said and you probably now realize, your real problem is dealing with the "inside person".

Say Steve getting ready to add a few wireless sensors to my DSC hybrid system so I'm going to have to check if mine will prevent tampering like yours do. Sure hope so hadn't really thought about it unit you pointed this out. Thanks!

Tom j.

Most DSC systems will trigger a tamper alarm if the wireless sensors are opened or in some cases even removed from the wall, etc.  Depending on how your system was programmed, this could manifest as a simple trouble or a full-blown alarm condition.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.