Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How does X10's Wireless Doorbell work  (Read 18533 times)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
How does X10's Wireless Doorbell work
« on: July 08, 2009, 06:41:27 PM »

I have a 1928 house and last week my front doorbell stopped working.  There is no power coming to the push button and my multimeter reads zero also.  I've looked at X10's Wireless Doorbell and it appears to use a modified SS13 with four buttons on it and a transceiver is used. (Either a TM751 or RR501)

My questions are does it use AHP and how exactly does it work.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: How does X10's Wireless Doorbell work
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 06:49:09 PM »

I have a 1928 house and last week my front doorbell stopped working.  There is no power coming to the push button and my multimeter reads zero also. 

I really like X10. But I'd trouble-shoot and fix/repair that old hardwired doorbell if the option is there.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 06:53:59 PM »

I have a 1928 house and last week my front doorbell stopped working.  There is no power coming to the push button and my multimeter reads zero also. 

I really like X10. But I'd trouble-shoot and fix/repair that old hardwired doorbell if the option is there.

That's not an option.  There's a break in wiring and hiring an electrician would really be a high expense.  B:(

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 07:26:35 PM »

Dan, Isn't there a Chime Module also in that kit? I believe it just sends an RF on signal through the included TM751 to a chime module on the same X10 Address.

Bad wire that's a bummer. I take it you where able to maybe check the Bell transformer to see if it died.

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 09:54:45 PM »

........ There's a break in wiring and hiring an electrician would really be a high expense.  B:(

Bad wire that's a bummer. I take it you where able to maybe check the Bell transformer to see if it died.

If its the wire... the wire itself is likely just two loosely twisted solid wires. Often the wires were referred to as "phone wire" around that same era. The wire should feed through the attic, basement, crawl space, or wall to the chime unit. Since it is an older unit... a transformer could be mounted on a utility box somewhere along the way. But the location of the bell/chime unit (often in a closet, nearby wall, or centrally located wall) should make the wire route somewhat obvious.

This is low voltage wiring and... if its the wiring it can be repaired (or replaced) for little or nothing. Often the damage is caused when phone wire repair/upgrades are done... because the doorbell wire is mistaken for phones. Sometimes a broken wire can be found in a basement laundry area... thanks to coat hangers.

I think Brian H is likely correct about the transformer (or bell/chime unit). But ether way... this sounds like a fun repair.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:56:57 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 06:37:08 AM »

I have an one part of an ELK-930 Doorbell Sensor and a Powerflash to sound a chime module. In the cellar where I can't hear the bell if it rings.
It hooks in series with the common transformer wire so both the back and front buttons sound the chime.  ;D
I also have a TR16 Touchtone responder that sounds the chime also. So I know if someone is at the door or the phone is ringing. Just have to try and think whet is the event.  rofl

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 08:50:43 AM »

I have an one part of an ELK-930 Doorbell Sensor and a Powerflash to sound a chime module. In the cellar where I can't hear the bell if it rings......

My home [built in the 1940s] had a chime system mounted in a closet... but wires had been ripped out and the old doorbell button vinyl sided over. A wireless doorbell system had been installed (if installed is the proper term).

When I installed my Home Theater I replaced what I had with an upgraded (GE) wireless doorbell... which includes a strobe-like flasher in the theater.

I was inspired by Knightrider's doorbell macro which starts a video recording when the doorbell is rung. However I haven't completed that project yet.... I guess I got distracted with yardwork. My plan is to hack a wireless receiver/chime unit using a powerflash module to relay that signal to my CM15A, while also turning on a camera and wireless receiver. The macro would begin the recording/emailing as well as displaying the video on the TV (if the TV is on).

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 10:48:49 PM »

I decided not to use X10's X10's Wireless Doorbell because I got a Heath/Zenith Wireless doorbell with the sound unit as a plug-in for 22 bucks, while X10's unit is 40 bucks plus shipping.  One thing I did not like was the X10 one uses a modified SS13 (Stick-aSwitch) with 4 switches in it when I only needed a single button.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 06:45:19 AM »

Dan; Thanks for the update and it sounds like a good choice for your situation.

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 11:59:31 AM »

... it sounds like a good choice for your situation.

Whereas if you had a couple teens in the house... a doorbell that would ring in the desired teens room [like with the stick-a-switch] could save you many steps and interuptions. I agree with Brian H the simpler setup could be desireable.

But don't forget: A second wireless doorbell unit... set to the same codes.. and hacked with a powerflash module could provide a lot of extra automation and security.

I am particularly fond of Knightrider's front door camera mod. Which as I understand it triggers a recording macro when the doorbell is rang. Allowing the users to know who stopped by... while he was away. Or it could even be used to send an email image [pic] to a work email address [or even a cell phone]... to let you know that expected package arrived.

With the right macros.... ringing the bell could...
  • Display the visitor on the TV (even turning on the TV if off)
  • turn on additional lights at night.
  • record video clippets all around the home
  • turn ON a DS7000 alarm system

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 06:55:13 PM »

I'll be glad to post the macro here when I get my PC back from the shop.  I've tested the macro, but never actually used it.  My cam at the door doesn't pick up well at night and during the day, everyone else just walks on in. (I love rural Ohio!!!)
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 07:42:15 PM »

..... everyone else just walks on in. (I love rural Ohio!!!)

While taking a detour last weekend I was so back in the wilds of rural Ohio: When we pasted another car going the opposite direction... they would wave. I would guess... they just didn't want to appear rude... in case they actually knew us. You have to love the rural areas.

I like the idea of a doorbell camera sending a picture alert via cell phone. So my wife (who works just a minute away from home) could keep a digital eye out for delivered packages... and not have to worry about a delivery setting in the rain. Of course... being retired... I guess I can do that... for now.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 08:01:54 PM »

While taking a detour last weekend I was so back in the wilds of rural Ohio: When we pasted another car going the opposite direction... they would wave. I would guess... they just didn't want to appear rude... in case they actually knew us. You have to love the rural areas.

You mean you DON'T wave at every car you see?  Good way for us locallers to identify the out of towners.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 05:48:35 PM »

Thanks for the inspiration guys!!!!

I got the idea for a doorbell activated video recording macro from Knightrider. But cold weather forced me out of the unheated garage and away from that project last winter. Dan Lawrence reminded me [with this thread] that I had a half completed project waiting for me to figure out.

I had originally connected the PowerFlash module (PSC01) to the speaker of my GE wireless doorbell. But no matter which setting I tried on the PowerFlash... it didn't work. I checked the connections with a continuity tester... and found out the connection was always closed.

So today I UN-soldered the wires from the speaker and switched the connections to the little red light that flashes when the doorbell chimes. Now with the PowerFlash (PSC01) little bottom sliders set to INPUT A - MODE 1 (not to be confused with House/unit codes) everything works fine. I still have to hang the camera... run some wire.. create a macro (or so).. but the project is back on track.

I came to the forums originally to find answers... but I returned to the forum to get ideas. I still find my automation ideas and inspirations from you guys... and I want to say thank you all.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 06:07:11 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 04:43:51 PM »

I'll be glad to post the macro here when I get my PC back from the shop.  I've tested the macro, but never actually used it.  My cam at the door doesn't pick up well at night and during the day, everyone else just walks on in. (I love rural Ohio!!!)

Well gang....

It appears that I will not be posting the macro after all.  My mobo fried (try googling "code 88" on an evga geforce7100 nforce 630i)  I sent the computer back to the guy that built it for a new mobo and ended up deciding to upgrade to the next level. Computer guy put it in and the machine booted up fine, but would not run the computer guy's jump drive, so he decided to format my HD without asking.  All is lost, including my x10 SDK based fuel consumption monitor which i labored so long for.  My carillon computer was also in the same shop for a wipe and reload.  The data from that computer was backed up to the one that got wiped without my knowledge.

All is lost, all is lost.  I'm just about done with evga and my computer guy.

Somebody buy me a beer.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.