Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scanning all channels at once  (Read 17252 times)

corydonindiana

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
    • Angela TBI
Scanning all channels at once
« on: July 12, 2009, 01:31:01 PM »

I have a VA12A and a VR42A with multiple Cameras. I am using the Vanguard software that came with it. What would I need to scan across all channels at once, live? Even if I upgrade does the software support It? Newbie at x10 here. I would guess that is possible, or may just be an operator error on my end.
 Thanks, Joe Ward

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Scanning all channels at once
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 01:40:17 PM »

Joe,
Hate to break it to you, but x10 cams are "one at a time".  That being said, you CAN gather short snippets from each cam.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 02:02:54 PM »

What would I need to scan across all channels at once, live?

You will need to find a video [input] card.. with at least as many inputs as you have cameras. The card will need to be able to support all the inputs at the same time AND have the software needed to display all the cameras. In addition.. you will need a PC with the required processing and video output capabilities (a decent P4 running XP should do it). And that will be just to view all your cameras at once.. on a computer.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 02:10:50 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

corydonindiana

• Angela TBI
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 02:12:40 PM »

Thanks, That is kind of what I expected, but for the money its not too shabby when I look at the 1500 dollar starter systems. It is not to awful for covering doors in the house.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 02:15:58 PM »

To addend what Dave_X10_L reported.

That plan only works when the cameras are wired.  The wireless receiver only grabs on signal at a time as the cams all broadcast on the same frequency. 

There is a work around, but that involves 4 receivers, each on channel A,B,C and D.  With that plan, 4 cams at a time is the max.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

corydonindiana

• Angela TBI
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 02:55:51 PM »

Thanks guys,
 I dont want to waste wireless I/O channels, since I hope to build on that later ( once I learn more about it ). Any good resourses that you can point me to to integrate a two cam wired system with the x10 wireless I have now? I would like two of them on at all times when I leave the house? And the others I am Ok with one at a time. Will vanguard Integrate through a wired system with X10?
Wife has a disabilty (severe TBI) and falls often. She can't remember a bad fall. Family that watch her while I work cannot stay on top of her at all times. I tend to flip out when I come home and see her with cuts and bruises and nobody knows why, including her. I really believe that 2 cameras on the front door and the back  (The worst place for her falls)  running all times will lower my blood pressure.
 I am a newbie with the X10, but I am very familiar with ladder logic and hardwired controls.
 Thanks for all of your help.
 Joe Ward

forthill

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »

Any good resourses that you can point me to to integrate a two cam wired system with the x10 wireless I have now? I would like two of them on at all times when I leave the house? And the others I am Ok with one at a time. Will vanguard Integrate through a wired system with X10?
My understanding is that you cannot mix X10 wired and wireless cameras.  It is either wired or wireless, not both.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 08:17:03 PM »

Put an appliance module on the wireless receiver. write some macros to turn off the wires receiver when the wired cams a active and vice versa. use a "y" cable to tie all the video lines together. voila.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 09:09:53 PM »

Put an appliance module on the wireless receiver. write some macros to turn off the wires receiver when the wired cams a active and vice versa. use a "y" cable to tie all the video lines together. voila.

Yes! And if needed you can even add non-X10 cameras into the mix (many of us have). But macros are required.

forthill

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 11:15:31 AM »

Can you elaborate on these macros?  Are there samples of these and maybe some instructions on how to create them?  Also, would you need AHP in order to make all of this work?

Thanks,
fh

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 12:28:09 PM »

Can you elaborate on these macros? ...would you need AHP in order to make all of this work?

The macros are AHP/CM15A thingys. Using the Active Home Pro software you can create a tiny program (macro) so that a trigger (a House/Unit code turning On or Off) can cause an additional (or even a series of) action(s).

In my case... I use the macros to turn on a video sender and receiver when a certain camera is triggered on. This action causes the camera view to appear on my TV.

With the CM15A and AHP... it is almost limitless as to what can be done.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 12:31:06 PM by Dave_x10_L »

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 07:20:23 PM »

To addend what Dave_X10_L reported.

That plan only works when the cameras are wired.  The wireless receiver only grabs on signal at a time as the cams all broadcast on the same frequency. 

There is a work around, but that involves 4 receivers, each on channel A,B,C and D.  With that plan, 4 cams at a time is the max.

**HOW?**

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 07:40:47 PM »

If you have a device called a "quadplexer", (or a Camera capture PCI card with 4 inputs) you can use 4 wireless cam receivers on Freq's A,B,C, and D respectively.  Thus, 4 wireless cams can feed to the multiple inputs on the quad.

**WARNING***

Before considering dropping big bucks into a project like this, be advised that the ABCD frequencies are very close to each other and the signals can interfere with themselves.  Also, there may be interference from other wirless devices on nearby channels.  In any event, it is my strong suggestion that any multiple video feed system be WIRED.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.