Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Programmable wireless remote?  (Read 5517 times)

jpwilk

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Programmable wireless remote?
« on: July 04, 2009, 11:18:42 AM »

Hi all,
Have a CM11a running with original ActiveHome software on XP. Also have wireless interface.
Been having problems with timed events whether controlled thru' the pc or offline with just the CM11a. Can turn modules on/off directly from the pc but timed events are always inconsistent. I figured it can't be noise problems as I have no problems turning modules on/off directly from the pc.
I can use various wireless remotes from anywhere in the house and never have a problem controlling any modules.
I was just wondering if there is anything out there like a programmable wireless remote that can be programmed with timed events?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Programmable wireless remote?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 04:12:34 PM »

Been having problems with timed events whether controlled thru' the pc or offline with just the CM11a. Can turn modules on/off directly from the pc but timed events are always inconsistent. I figured it can't be noise problems as I have no problems turning modules on/off directly from the pc.
I can use various wireless remotes from anywhere in the house and never have a problem controlling any modules.
I was just wondering if there is anything out there like a programmable wireless remote that can be programmed with timed events?
1. Are the modules which you can always control from the PC, the very same modules that do not operate when driven by Activehome timers?
2. Can you reliably control the timed modules from PC at around the same times ActiveHome is trying to control the modules by timers?
3. Try plugging your tranceiver into the same outlet as CM11 (or the CM11's outlet). Are you still able to 100% control everything using the remotes?

If these answers are "YES" then it would appear to be an issue with ActiveHome software. However your description of inconsistent response sure smacks of a possible noise problem....especially either; intermitent noise, or noise right on the threshhold of overwhelming X10 signals.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

jpwilk

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 05:46:06 PM »

1. Are the modules which you can always control from the PC, the very same modules that do not operate when driven by Activehome timers? Yes

2. Can you reliably control the timed modules from PC at around the same times ActiveHome is trying to control the modules by timers? Yes

3. Try plugging your transceiver into the same outlet as CM11 (or the CM11's outlet). Are you still able to 100% control everything using the remotes? With the transceiver plugged into the CM11 socket I can still control 100% using wireless remote. Unfortunately, not able to try it the other way round due to pc location.

If these answers are "YES" then it would appear to be an issue with ActiveHome software. However your description of inconsistent response sure smacks of a possible noise problem....especially either; intermittent noise, or noise right on the threshhold of overwhelming X10 signals.

Must admit that I do have problems with ActiveHome losing communications with the CM11 but is OK when I restart ActiveHome. This may be an issue with the motherboard/Windows XP/serial port. Even so, didn't think that that should affect using the CM11 with comms unloaded and everything stored in the CM11. I get the same inconsistency either way.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 05:18:50 PM »

Wow, hope someone else has an idea cuz I'm out. Have you always had this problem or is it new? I think I have a couple CM11s in the junk box. PM me if you want one to see if yours has a loose electron.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 08:52:01 PM »

How old is your CM11A?  (Does it have a datecode sticker?)
Are all your modules manufactured by X-10 (as opposed to say Smarthome)?

There is a difference between the older CM11A (with firmware version 7) and the newer one (with firmware version 1).
With the older CM11A, X-10 took some shortcuts with signals sent from EEPROM timers and macros which made them unrecognizable to some non-X10 modules.  However signals sent from the software worked fine.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

jpwilk

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 10:50:53 PM »

Wow, hope someone else has an idea cuz I'm out. Have you always had this problem or is it new? I think I have a couple CM11s in the junk box. PM me if you want one to see if yours has a loose electron.

It used to work OK but back then I was running ActiveHome under Win98 on a different pc. Then I got an old IBM 300PL, installed WINXP SP2 to use it as a dedicated X10 system. I was going to play around with various other X10 software that needed a pc to be on all the time which I didn't want to do with my main system. I haven't got around to using other software yet but it did seem to be working OK until a few months ago. Haven't got any more electronics or anything, since it seems to have started, that might interfere. The CM11 is a good 7 years old so I decided to order the latest ActiveHome with the CM15 but was interested to see if a programmable wireless "remote" was available as everything seems to work fine wirelessly.
BTW, thanks for the offer of the CM11's.   

jpwilk

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 10:58:50 PM »

There is a difference between the older CM11A (with firmware version 7) and the newer one (with firmware version 1).
With the older CM11A, X-10 took some shortcuts with signals sent from EEPROM timers and macros which made them unrecognizable to some non-X10 modules.  However signals sent from the software worked fine.

The CM11 is about 7 years old and I can't see any date code, at least not on the outside, and all the modules are from X10.
Not sure which takes precedence if you have a pc permanently connected and communicating with the CM11 - is it the pc or the Eproms in the CM11. Could they conflict? Although, I've tried it with the pc connected and the comms unloaded with similar results.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 09:07:26 PM »

The CM11 is about 7 years old and I can't see any date code, at least not on the outside, and all the modules are from X10.
Not sure which takes precedence if you have a pc permanently connected and communicating with the CM11 - is it the pc or the Eproms in the CM11. Could they conflict? Although, I've tried it with the pc connected and the comms unloaded with similar results.

There's no way to trigger a downloaded macro in the CM11A from software.  Macros stored in the EEPROM are triggered only by receiving the trigger on/off command over the powerline.  If you execute the "macro" from the software, the commands are coming from the software, not the EEPROM.

If your PC is running 24/7, you can have ActiveHome execute timers and macros from software by erasing the EEPROM and unchecking the "download to interface" box on each timer and macro.  You might want to try this.  If that works OK, it's probably an indication that a glitch has developed in the part of the microcontroller code which schedules the EEPROM timers.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

jpwilk

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 09:27:54 PM »

There's no way to trigger a downloaded macro in the CM11A from software.  Macros stored in the EEPROM are triggered only by receiving the trigger on/off command over the powerline.  If you execute the "macro" from the software, the commands are coming from the software, not the EEPROM.

If your PC is running 24/7, you can have ActiveHome execute timers and macros from software by erasing the EEPROM and unchecking the "download to interface" box on each timer and macro.  You might want to try this.  If that works OK, it's probably an indication that a glitch has developed in the part of the microcontroller code which schedules the EEPROM timers.

I'll try that. Actually, I'll clear the interface memory and just run it from the pc and see what happens. Won't be getting home until the weekend so I'll give it a go then.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.