Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 to Infrared transmitter  (Read 11113 times)

nite_man

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
    • Smart Home Blog
X10 to Infrared transmitter
« on: July 13, 2009, 05:31:13 AM »

Hi,

I'd like to control my air conditioner using Infrared - sending X10 commands from PC via CM11A to some module which will convert them to Infrared. But I cannot find any X10-to-infrared module. Sure the OCELOT can be used for that purpose. But it's a controller and it isn't so efficient to use in my case. Does somebody knows any X10-to-infrared transmitters?

TIA
Cheers,
Michael

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
Re: X10 to Infrared transmitter
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:35:27 AM »

Using Tuicemen's PC Companion and a VCR Commander from x10 I believe you might be able to do that.  You might want to talk to him about controlling your ac though.  He might be able to help you.   ;)
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 02:51:44 PM »

... using Infrared - sending X10 commands from PC via CM11A to some module which will convert them to Infrared.

Not using the Active Home CM11A (that I am aware of).

However... using the CM15A Active Home Pro.. you can send a wireless (RF) signal to a VCR Commander. There are other ways (besides the VCR Commander) also. I use BVC (with a AHP CM15A)
Home Automation is an always changing technology

nite_man

• Smart Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 07:51:32 AM »

Thanks for your replays, hawk1 and Dave_x10_L! I'm very surprised that X10 doesn't have module like INSTEON to IR Converter. Using such module it'd be very easy to send commands to the Infrared controlled devices.

I use CM11A because it bought it a few years ago. So, I don't see an reason to upgrade it now. Because there are more advanced and modern technologies such Z-Wave, provided more efficient and reliable solution IMHO.

UPDATE: It was such device - X10 TO IR LINC. But it was discontinued and replace by INSTEON to IR Converter. The main problem is INSTEON doesn't work in Europe.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 08:36:00 AM by nite_man »
Cheers,
Michael

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 10:10:09 AM »

Good catch Dave x10 L!  I didn't even see that the user was using the cm11.  My Bad.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

nite_man

• Smart Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 10:55:02 AM »

I found the X10 to IR transmitter - Domia DIRDC AV Controller. Thanks for your help, guys!
Cheers,
Michael

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 12:42:28 PM »

I found the X10 to IR transmitter - Domia DIRDC AV Controller. Thanks for your help, guys!

Adding IR control of devices via the CM15A.... can really "round off the edges" of an X10 setup! Anyone interested... that doesn't live in Europe.. should check out the third party software here at the forum. Both Tuicemen and -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) have great IR options.

nite_man

• Smart Home Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 02:03:18 PM »

I know another option - LinuxMCE. It should be situated for any place in the world :)
Cheers,
Michael

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 05:33:40 PM »

I know another option - LinuxMCE. It should be situated for any place in the world :)

Lots of third party software for controlling home automation. I have nothing personally against Microsoft, profit, or America... so I generally gravitate towards a MS solution... besides it allows me to use the CM15A as well as Voice Controlled Home Automation. There are so many old XP boxes out there [holding doors open and collecting dust...] it would be a waste not to put them to use.

I have nothing against Linux or Linux users ether... [whatever floats your boat].
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 05:48:56 PM by Dave_x10_L »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.