Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Party Button  (Read 19079 times)

Freeman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Party Button
« on: July 22, 2009, 01:30:16 AM »

Been done before but this is a quick question I was hoping someone would be able to help me with! In a couple of days I'm driving to the city to buy myself some X10 products for a few purposes, Automate my room lighting, and creating a Party Button.

So to the question! I would like to build a custom box with a nice big red mushroom button that activates a macro on my computer called Party Time! this macro just needs to turn off all room lights, close my blindes and turn on some music. Pretty straight forward however I'm not sure the best way of going about this.

I am thinking of something like the button activating a powerflash module which then starts a batch script (is this possible, can I have a module tell my computer to run a batch script)

Oh and I only have the Winplus http://www.winplus.com.au/automated-modules.html range available to me!

Any help would be muchly appreciated and pics and videos will follow my success!

Regards,
Sam
Eventually my house will control me .......

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Party Button
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 02:16:01 AM »

Been done before but this is a quick question I was hoping someone would be able to help me with! In a couple of days I'm driving to the city to buy myself some X10 products for a few purposes, Automate my room lighting, and creating a Party Button.

So to the question! I would like to build a custom box with a nice big red mushroom button that activates a macro on my computer called Party Time! this macro just needs to turn off all room lights, close my blindes and turn on some music. Pretty straight forward however I'm not sure the best way of going about this.

I am thinking of something like the button activating a powerflash module which then starts a batch script (is this possible, can I have a module tell my computer to run a batch script)

Oh and I only have the Winplus http://www.winplus.com.au/automated-modules.html range available to me!

Any help would be muchly appreciated and pics and videos will follow my success!

Regards,
Sam

A little Home Automation Chat later and we're underway!

Turns out, WinPlus in Australia calls the Powerflash a "Winplus Home Automation Smart Trigger Controller".

A rose is a rose by any other name.  ;)

>!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Freeman

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 06:53:39 AM »

Out to buy all the parts tomorrow, so by tomorrow night we should have a successful write-up! Fingers Crossed  :'

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 12:03:03 PM »

Out to buy all the parts tomorrow, so by tomorrow night we should have a successful write-up! Fingers Crossed  :'
A working "Party Button" by tomorrow night? Are you also driving the Obama Health Plan?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 01:02:12 PM »

...A working "Party Button" by tomorrow night? Are you also driving the Obama Health Plan?

Yeah... sounds like he wants to seriously alter his room... before his parents return and catch him... hummmm.

To do a one-day Party Button... like in the (<) video. I would:

• Hack a palmpad remote, clamping down a single button, then cutting and running the power (from the batteries) to the Big Red plunger Button. Pushing the button would in effect press the PalmPad remotes button. The PalmPad could be concealed in the project box.
  • Then... (I would forget programing anything) I would merely make all the devices the same House/unit code. All goes on... all goes off.
  • I would purchase 2 each TM751 Transceivers so I wouldn't need to deal with any phase issues. And the unit code I would use for the setup would be 1 (so I could use the transceivers as modules too).
  • For music... I would use a [continues play] MP3 player on and running... but connected to a powered speaker setup (like a good computer set) that can be controlled by an appliance module (or TM751)

This could be setup in a day (or five X10 minutes).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Freeman

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 09:20:18 PM »

...A working "Party Button" by tomorrow night? Are you also driving the Obama Health Plan?

Party button tonight, Obama Health Plan tomorrow, we'll see how we go

Yeah... sounds like he wants to seriously alter his room... before his parents return and catch him... hummmm.

To do a one-day Party Button... like in the (<) video. I would:

• Hack a palmpad remote, clamping down a single button, then cutting and running the power (from the batteries) to the Big Red plunger Button. Pushing the button would in effect press the PalmPad remotes button. The PalmPad could be concealed in the project box.
  • Then... (I would forget programing anything) I would merely make all the devices the same House/unit code. All goes on... all goes off.
  • I would purchase 2 each TM751 Transceivers so I wouldn't need to deal with any phase issues. And the unit code I would use for the setup would be 1 (so I could use the transceivers as modules too).
  • For music... I would use a [continues play] MP3 player on and running... but connected to a powered speaker setup (like a good computer set) that can be controlled by an appliance module (or TM751)

I'd say my rush in all this is over excitement, I get an idea in my head then boom it has be done ASAP, at least I have an espresso machine to keep me company and no parents to worry about. Oh and not house mates either they're both in Turkey! YEHAAAA.

As for the PalmPad Remote that was the first method I thought off, however I dislike the mp3 part and would love for some extension possibilities! so my plan of attack is:

Parts:
1x Big red mushroom button
1x Project box
1x Smart Trigger Controller (for you in the US of A that would be a PowerFlash module)
Coffee
Hands
Computer

Was thinking of closing the circuit on the Smart Trigger while on Mode3 (Thanks Bill) with my Big Red Mushroom  :D which sends the appropriate house/unit code which Mr PC picks up, runs a macro to switch off lights, but also to active a custom plugin to play my music, send an email to friends on my street (alerting them of the imminent Party/Danger) and a host of other interesting things I have yet to think off.

However I will also be buying all the parts that Dave_x10 lists so if my idea doesn't work I'll have a shot and yours! Hopefully my room will eventually be the next MIDAS!

I'll keep ya'll posted

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 10:17:42 PM »

...Party button tonight, Obama Health Plan tomorrow

Can't believe your not an American... you sure SOUND like one.

Hopefully my room will eventually be the next MIDAS!

Don't forget to make your YouTube video!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Freeman

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 10:19:58 PM »

...Party button tonight, Obama Health Plan tomorrow

Can't believe your not an American... you sure SOUND like one.

Hopefully my room will eventually be the next MIDAS!

Don't forget to make your YouTube video!

Hahaha what made you think I was American? I'm actually an Englishmen living in Australia  rofl
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 11:39:35 PM by Freeman »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 12:00:05 PM »

rofl
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Freeman

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 09:29:47 PM »

This has to be put on hold as I could only get a handful of products yesterday see my post in General "What a Steal" however last night I ordered a Ultimate Starter Kit +remote +extra light fitting so that should more than get me on my way!

Sam

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.