Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Warspying on wired cameras?  (Read 26448 times)

michlea

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
  • Going to catch my neighbor vandalising my property
Warspying on wired cameras?
« on: July 28, 2009, 08:23:28 AM »

My wired, nightwatch cameras protect my home from a x-boyfriend who is also a disgruntled neighbor. He had installed outdoor cameras so he could watch me 24/7.  I purchased cameras as he was vandalizing my home. My first cameras were wireless but the local police discovered my neighbor purchased whatever he needed to be able to see and hear from MY cameras.  I immediately took down my cameras. I sent them back to x10 and upgraded to wired nightwatch cams.  I use the CR12A remote control with the Powerhouse RF receiver module Model TM751.  Is there anyway he can pick up my camera images/signal/sound from the Remote control receiver?  Is there any other way he can be infiltrating my wired cams?  I swear he still seems to know how to avoid being picked up by my cameras.  He also seems to know what I am doing.

michlea
Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Re: Warspying on wired cameras?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 08:47:04 AM »

And I felt bad avoiding the neighbors.
By the way, German Shepard's are the sweetest most loyal dogs to their owners, and fiercely protective of them and their property. 

Maybe get ya a couple.  >!
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 09:26:52 AM »

If there are no wireless transmitters (cameras) or senders than he shouldn't be able to see through your cameras.  You don't have the cameras where you could see them on the internet do you?  Or a wireless network?  If you have a wireless network and remote desktop sharing than he might be able see that way.  But as Bitman said, " dogs are a mans and womans best friend".
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 12:41:28 PM »

My wired, nightwatch cameras protect my home from a x-boyfriend...
I don't remember hearing that "X" part before.... 

.......who is also a disgruntled neighbor. He had installed outdoor cameras so he could watch me 24/7. ......... Is there anyway he can pick up my camera images/signal/sound from the Remote control receiver?  Is there any other way he can be infiltrating my wired cams?  I swear he still seems to know how to avoid being picked up by my cameras.  He also seems to know what I am doing.

michlea

As hawk1 said... under normal circumstances.. (if your still using the livingroom VCR and TV to record and view the video... and your not retransmitting via RF or internet... you should be good.

But it isn't difficult to predict a persons behavior... or figure out where a camera is pointing. I don't know how a neighbor could become "disgruntled"... or how that could in effect... actually have any real negitive impact. I don't think technology (cameras) can resolve your problems.

Some times... its just time to move.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

michlea

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 02:18:15 PM »

Thanks all for your great and fast reply. 

Hi Dave!  You are correct my friend.  I may not have classified him as an "X" before but I'm pretty sure we've discussed this before...  ;D We were neighbors first, good friends for about 2 years and just when a romance seemed to be on the horizon then I started seeing warning signs. I was falling hard for him but my best friend felt he was using me just as a careen criminal does. 

Because he received tickets and fines for his harassment of me he had been using my cameras (thru warspying) to record things said or done by me at my own home.  He then tried to present parts of his recordings as evidence I am harassing him.  When the local police discovered it they put him in his place.  He said the police were partial to me as I had worked for them and he wanted everything reviewed by the District Attorney.  It has been a year and a half since then and the district attorney ruled his complaints were unfounded.  They are now working up a case against him.  A couple of things of mine have either been vandalized or just coincidentally broken when I needed them. Was advised by police to put cameras back up to see what is or isnt happening.  One day, four of my fish in the tank disappeared and found 2 dead with their stomachs "dissolved".  They were fine 5 hours before..... I had just a couple of things happen which were prolly just coincidence but I wanted to make sure there was no way he could use my cameras against me again..... >*< lol  He is now just one strike away from going to jail for a long time if he screws with me one more time.  True - he could still make good on his past threats to kill me but he could do that anywhere he happens to track me.  At least here I am under some police protection.  If something happens, they will know who did it.....

will he be able to spy through the vcr commander or eagle eye sensors?   

Thanks, Michele
Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 02:27:32 PM »

NO.  I hope you get the creep.   ;) 

koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 04:42:30 PM »

will he be able to spy through the vcr commander or eagle eye sensors?   

He shouldn't be able to.

.....  One day, four of my fish in the tank disappeared ....

That caught my attention. If he can get into your home he could plant a bug of his own. Or even put a keylogger on your computer. Listening devices like the famed "big ear" (although unlawful in most areas) are easily bought and/or easy to build.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 07:27:58 PM »

The FIRST thing you should do get a good locksmith to change the locks on your house.  He should be able to install pick-proof locks that no locksmith will duplicate any key to it.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 09:07:01 PM »

To piggyback Dan's comment, Medico makes a good lock that can't be picked.

Wired cams cannot be tapped into under most circumstances, but a computer network can.  Check for trojans on the receiving machine, and if you have a wireless router, make sure it has an encryption key.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

michlea

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 12:48:52 AM »

WOW!!!  Thank you all very much for your help.  His mom had a key to my home when we were friends...When these weird things were happening in my house, I figured he found the key after his mom died.  I put in new locks with dead bolts on each door myself after the fish incident.  They are not top grade locks but there are more of them to pick and more of a chance he would be caught.  I also have chain alarms on each door!  I also have a couple cans of pepper spray, socks filled with pennies and a steel wrapped tire buddy close at hand....  :'   Oh yes, and an official Police whistle by each phone!   LOL  Anyone want to visit unannouced??? rofl  As soon as I gather up the money to fix my car and replace the vandalized lawn mower and snow blower....I'll purchase some better locks.

DAVE!  I never thought of that!!!  He did put a trojan or whatever in my old computer.  He could read my email and everything.  I didn't think about this new computer.  You do have to have my password to log into my new computer but I'd better figure out how to check for spy thingys and such on this computer.  As for possible bugs in my house.......several large cans of Raid and a lot of careful looking may be in order too. 

Thanks again everyone and Dave, I will look up Keylogger on google tomorrow and find out what it is and how to check for it...  You continue to be a good friend.  The last "Dave" I had as a friend has killed my fish, my central air conditioner, my front bay window when he shot at me with a pellet gun, my lawnmower, my snowblower and who knows what else!  I have a male friend I've known for 28 years who lives a couple of houses up from me. He has taken over for Dave and now helps me fix things I can't do myself.  His central air was mysteriously vandalized just like mine (the freon tube was cut with a bolt cutter) and he just told me today.  Now he is afraid to help me!   This guy has to be stopped! 
Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 02:37:46 AM »

...One day, four of my fish in the tank disappeared and found 2 dead with their stomachs "dissolved"....
The FIRST thing you should do get a good locksmith to change the locks on your house.  He should be able to install pick-proof locks that no locksmith will duplicate any key to it.
To piggyback Dan's comment, Medico makes a good lock that can't be picked....
Has he ever had a key to your house? If so or if you suspect he has access to the inside of your house, it is time for your locks to be rekeyed or replaced. [Just reread your last post and realized you're addressing the lock situations.]

While one of the highest rated locks and exceptionally pick resistant, Medico locks are not pick proof.

Has anyone mentioned flood lights with motion sensors?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 02:44:15 AM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 08:09:12 PM »

While one of the highest rated locks and exceptionally pick resistant, Medico locks are not pick proof.
I digress.  Steven R is correct.

But in all fairness to myself, Steven R,  thought we agreed to keep that little tidbit a secret when we we discussing locks and picks and security in the chat about 17 months ago.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 09:20:45 PM »

.....This guy has to be stopped! 

I wish you the best of luck. I still think moving might be a better choice. Your playing a dangerous game of "you against him". And for him the stakes are his freedom. Don't expect rational fair gamesmanship in this contest. The odds of winning will never be even... the odds will always be against you.

Think about it.... in our lifetimes two Presidents have been shot. No one can match the intense security of an American President.

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 10:29:46 PM »

Any locksmith who knows anything will tell you that there is no such thing as a pick-proof lock.
Although Medeco is a high quality lock it is only possible to say that it is pick resistant.

Just as water proof means that a product is impervious to water penetration, pick-proof would mean that a lock is impervious to being picked.
Medeco locks are *difficult* to pick, but that does not make it impossible. It is usually not practical to even attempt to pick any high security lock as there are much more effective means of gaining entry - the most obvious being an unlocked door or an unsecured window.

Physical security is a habit rather than the latest 'fashion' in lock manufacturing. Keep doors and windows closed and secured. Keep track of who has keys and where they are. As soon as a key is mislaid or gets into the wrong hands, get your locks rekeyed. Don't lend keys to tradesmen unless they are patent protected copy resistant keys. Get the best locks you can afford and make sure they are used - at least it will slow the buggers down.

High security locks will stop many casual criminals, but absolutely nothing will stop a determined intruder - several years ago I had a brick built building that had been completely secured with window grilles, high security locks, re-inforced doors. A great deal of my stock (consisting of high security locks) was removed through the hole in the wall produced by an 18 wheeler that was reversed into it. I'm not suggesting that evil Dave has access to an 18 wheeler, I use this just as an illustration to prove that a determined criminal cannot and will not stopped.

Sources for information? Over 25 years of locksmithing experience in the UK and US.

Anyhoo, rant over - just don't ask me to sell you a 'fire-proof' safe  :'

Maybe I should just requote Mr Knightrider with a minor suffix - Medico makes a good lock that can't be picked EASILY

Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 10:41:05 PM »

...But in all fairness to myself, Steven R,  thought we agreed to keep that little tidbit a secret when we we discussing locks and picks and security in the chat about 17 months ago.
Hmm... I don't recall that chat.
Anyway when videos of the Medico being bumped make it to YouTube, it would be kinda like keeping telling a teenager that there's Santa.

In all fairness to the Medico lock it is an exceptional lock that in 99.99% of the time can't be opened by the average crook or in her case her neighbor. For that matter, the new locks maybe all she needs to keep her neighbor out as he most likely was using a key and has no picking skills.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.