Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: X10 Status Display  (Read 14313 times)

MikeB941

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 Status Display
« on: August 04, 2009, 02:23:48 AM »

Hello -

I was hoping someone could recommend a compact all in one X10 Status Display that would ideally have 16 indicators (LED's?) for each module unit number (although I'd settle for 8) and would listen to the X10 signals and turn the indicators on and off to reflect the status of each of the module unit numbers (with space to identify with labels what each unit number is).

Something like:

http://www.midondesign.com/STATX10/STATX10.html

Or perhaps and LCD model, anything really that I could place in several rooms to monitory the on/off status of ideally 16 (but I'd take 8) unit numbers.

Thanks so much for your help.

MikeB941

Re: X10 Status Display
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 02:26:59 AM »

Hello again - for some reason I got a face instead of "eight" in this post - "would ideally have 16 indicators (LED's) but I'd settle for EIGHT"...

Thanks again!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 12:58:55 PM »

... I was hoping someone could recommend a compact all in one X10 Status Display that would ideally have 16 indicators (LED's?) for each module unit number (although I'd settle for 8 ea.) and would listen to the X10 signals and turn the indicators on and off to reflect the status of each of the module unit numbers (with space to identify with labels what each unit number is).

Wow. I had never seen that device. Its pretty cool... have you thought about just making one yourself... or having one soldered up?

Tuicemen has a 3rd party software called PC Companion. In the software you can construct (or use the one he supplies) an image (blueprint) of your home and show what is on/off. Then you can use a VGA sender... and other video receivers... to place the PC screen image to as many TV screens as you require. Or maybe place the screen image on a TV channel... and just change channels to view.

I use another third party software called BVC. With it I get computer voice alerts, warnings and reminders. The possibilities really are endless.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 02:31:29 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 02:27:11 PM »

I use the Leviton 16400 controller for status displays.  While that only displays the status of 4 sequential unit codes, it can also be used to switch those on and off.  And customized labels can be put under the clear covers on the rocker buttons.  They are great to trigger macros too.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 03:32:46 PM »

Mike B941

I don't think anyone makes such a device (anymore). If you can make your own annunciator panels and run multi conductor cable (intercom cable, 2 cat 5s per panel, etc) to each panel then you could use this to drive the panels.

http://www.smarthome.com/2316/8-Channel-5-Amp-X10-Relay-Control-Unit-8R5PX/p.aspx

There is also a small RF touch screen panel, available in Europe and I read somewhere is being re-designed for US frequecies,  which can control and monitor all 256 X10 codes. Pricey however.

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Boiler

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 04:53:53 PM »

Hello again - for some reason I got a face instead of "eight" in this post - "would ideally have 16 indicators (LED's) but I'd settle for EIGHT"...

Thanks again!

Hi Mike,

If eight is enough (sorry for the sitcom reference) take a look at the Smarthome Keypadlinc: KPL 2486 .  Each button can be programed to any X10 code with out restrictions (i.e. button 1: A1, button 2 B5, etc).  Like the Leviton 16400, these are also controllers that will transmit X10 on/off/dim codes when pressed.

At one time these units came with clear buttons and you could insert your own labels.  Currently they ship with opaque buttons.  The clear buttons are available as separate items.

I have a number of these and, although I primarily use them in Insteon mode, I have a number of buttons that I use for X10 status.

The downside is these are quite a bit more expensive than your typical X10 switch.  If you're not in a hurry, wait for a sale.

Boiler

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 05:58:11 PM »

...take a look at the Smarthome Keypadlinc: KPL 2486 .  Each button can be programed to any X10 code with out restrictions (i.e. button 1: A1, button 2 B5, etc).  Like the Leviton 16400, these are also controllers that will transmit X10 on/off/dim codes when pressed.

At one time these units came with clear buttons and you could insert your own labels.  Currently they ship with opaque buttons.  The clear buttons are available as separate items...
I concur! This an excellent switch!
The clear buttons are a necessary accessory if you plan to make your own labels. Smarthome can print custom labeled buttons but that will add a good chunk to the cost of the switch.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 12:31:54 PM »

Very nice! I did not know these could monitor. Man, I am going to have one heck of a Christmas list this year.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 10:03:05 AM »

This is way out in left field, maybe in foul ground.
Anyway.

This post and another similar one got be to thinking. Gee wizz, in my studio I RDP into the home active home pc to see the status of 6 headphone mixers and some powered speakers. But AHP is BIG AND CLUMSY for such a need and I will be wanting to migrate to a very small LCD for this duty soon.

The other post pointed me to the homeseer activex control free download for a CM11a that monitors x10 traffic.
I got out my vb6 and started hacking away. It's still got plenty of bugs and features missing being still in a prototype stage but soon it should be working well enough to release it as freeware in the wild. let me know if there is interest.

:Ron

« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 10:07:34 AM by bitman »
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

hpservertech

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 12:26:44 PM »

definate interest.  Would most likely need to get it to work with the cp15a though.

Care to post your project as it is so far?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 02:16:40 PM »

The link in the first post gives this message "August 30, 2003 - this project is no longer available.  Hex code for the 68HC705K1 processor used in this project is available upon request, but parts and PCB's are not.  Please also see our in process news for more information.

That was SIX years ago, we can assume the project is DEAD.   :(
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

bitman

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »

The link in the first post gives this message "August 30, 2003 - this project is no longer available.  Hex code for the 68HC705K1 processor used in this project is available upon request, but parts and PCB's are not.  Please also see our in process news for more information.

That was SIX years ago, we can assume the project is DEAD.   :(

Yes and that is very disappointing.

bitman

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 03:34:16 PM »

definate interest.  Would most likely need to get it to work with the cp15a though.

Care to post your project as it is so far?

You would not like it as it is. As it is now, the leds are sequential unit codes. This would be so much more useful
if they were randomly assignable. Also the labels need to be user changeable unless you want your hall light to be "guitar 1".

It would be criminal to release it on the poor unsuspecting right now.
But keep watching this thread, this is where I will let it loose.

This code is also hopelessly tied to the cm11a as this code is two parts: The first part is a homeseer activex control that had no source code along with it. It talks to cm11s. A vb form is the other half, fully tweakble
and the activex "api" is documented in a word doc. So support for any other tranceiver is not going to come from me anytime soon. However, the good news is cm11s are widely available in the used market while cm15s are nearly always packaged with AHP.

This is a perfect arrangement for me as I had an old cm11a from my dusty AH setup.

:Ron

bitman

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 10:31:51 PM »

Sorry I should have tested it outside the development system before unleashing it on you.

I will repost the download when the environment bugs I just found are fixed.

:-[
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:18:01 PM by bitman »

MikeB941

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 05:31:26 PM »

Hey Everyone - thanks so much for all of your help with this - here's what I wound up doing (a little pricey but I think it's going to look nice and be very portable):

2 x 2486DWH8 KeypadLinc Dimmer - INSTEON 8-Button Scene Control Keypad with Dimmer, White $69.99 $139.98
2 x 2402WH Tabletop Enclosure for KeypadLinc, White $17.99 $35.98
2 x 2401CLB 6 or 8-Button Change Kit for KeypadLinc, Clear $5.49 $10.98

S&H $11.11
Sales Tax $15.42
TOTAL $213.47

from www.smarthome.com

This will provide monitoring LEDs to 16 house letter/unit number pairs that don't have to be consecutive (or even the same house letter for that matter).

I'm contemplating placing a thin clear plastic sheet on top of the buttons inside the enclosure so they can't be pressed (I STRICTLY want this to be for monitoring with the AHP/CM15a doing all the work).

I'm going to be assembling all of this stuff when it arrives this weekend and I'll let you know if it didn't turn out as I had hoped.

Again, thanks for all the guidance/direction!

Take Care... Mike.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.