Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: wifi modules & controllers (password settable)  (Read 14114 times)

smjm1982

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
wifi modules & controllers (password settable)
« on: August 19, 2009, 12:18:34 AM »

well pretty much speaks for itself.  Could be controlled from anywhere in the world there is an internet connection as long as the password is known.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 12:22:27 AM by smjm1982 »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: wifi modules & controllers (password settable)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 08:28:06 AM »

well pretty much speaks for itself.  Could be controlled from anywhere in the world there is an internet connection as long as the password is known.

I agree completely... wifi is still at it's beginning for Home Automation. Wifi... or encoded 2.4 GHz can do a LOT. Whether its being used to connect to the Internet via a wireless router... or a wireless (and private) headset connection to your cell phone. WiFi has a lot to offer. Some specialized hardware and software is beginning to show up. I have seen Internet controlable door locks.. and cell phone controlable locks as well.

One nice [software] configurable piece of hardware that can directly connect the Internet, Cell Phone, and X10 devices... would be sweet.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Msradell

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 11:44:29 AM »

There are now some routers and have a USB Port incorporated into them.  I wonder if you could plug a CM15A into the USB Port and control via WiFi?  Sounds like it would be easy to test if you have the correct router.

Anyone have the equipment and willing to try it?

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 08:00:23 PM »

There are now some routers and have a USB Port incorporated into them.  I wonder if you could plug a CM15A into the USB Port and control via WiFi? 

Your computer has the processing power to see the router for what it is.. and the memory to load the drivers to.. which then enables the computer to talk to the router.

Nether the router nor the CM15A is smart (or robust) enough to talk to the other.

Msradell

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 09:10:14 PM »

There are now some routers and have a USB Port incorporated into them.  I wonder if you could plug a CM15A into the USB Port and control via WiFi? 

Your computer has the processing power to see the router for what it is.. and the memory to load the drivers to.. which then enables the computer to talk to the router.

Nether the router nor the CM15A is smart (or robust) enough to talk to the other.
I realize that but I was thinking you can have the drivers on the laptop you connect through.  That way no matter where you were (theoretically in the world) you might be able to connect and control your system.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 07:23:22 AM »

... I was thinking you can have the drivers on the laptop you connect through.  That way no matter where you were (theoretically in the world) you might be able to connect and control your system.

If I can finish your sentence for you: ..be able to connect and control your system without running a PC 24/7.

X10 has designed it's interface to be controlled over the Internet from anywhere in the world. X10 even includes a sever service with the software... although few find it relieable enough. Many users have posted very nice things about using logmein (the free version). But the CM15A does require a computer for local control (above and beyond what is downloaded to the interface).

There is a phone controller device sold that would allow you to call home to control X10 devices. That might be able to give you what you need.

There are a lot of cool things that can be done using a Home Automation Computer. I use an old curb-side rescued P3 for my setup which works great for me. I even run BVC (Speech Recognition X10 control software) 24/7 and have for nearly 3 years.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.