Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cable Splitter for x10 wireless cable transmitter  (Read 8428 times)

alliejnp

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Cable Splitter for x10 wireless cable transmitter
« on: August 24, 2009, 06:33:58 PM »

This question might have been asked before, and I apologize if that's the case.  I'm considering buying the x10 cable wireless cable extender, and I know that you have to watch the same thing that is playing from the "transmitting" television.  My question, is, is there a way to utilize a cable splitter so that you can watch two different cable television channels, ie., one on the transmitting tv and the other on the receiving tv?
Thanks!
Allison

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Cable Splitter for x10 wireless cable transmitter
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 07:33:39 PM »

..... is there a way to utilize a cable splitter so that you can watch two different cable television channels, ie., one on the transmitting tv and the other on the receiving tv?

Sorta! First... the wireless senders don't send the cable's scrambled signal. you need a cable box to descramble that. What the senders/receivers use... is what is normally used in the RCA plugs-wires like from a VCR, or DVD player to the TV. IF your wanting to send a NON-scrambled (generally the standard package non-HD) channel you can connect an OLD VCR to the cable and use it's tuner to select a different channel than whats playing on the TV. Pretty much the same as watching one channel.. and recording a different show on another channel. A DVD recorder... can also be used.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

alliejnp

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 09:01:19 PM »

Just to verify....
I'm not using a cable box, I basically have coax cable to tv.  So in order to be able to watch separate channels, I need  VCR, because the x10 doesn't have a coax input or tuner capability?  So would the setup be coax cable to VCR, VCR to x10, x10 to tv?  I would then need to change the channel on the VCR in order to watch the seperate channel on the "remote" tv, correct? 
Thank you so much ! I can't tell you how much time and money you are saving me!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 09:14:18 PM by alliejnp »

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 10:05:18 PM »

Just to verify....
I'm not using a cable box, I basically have coax cable to tv. 
So in order to be able to watch separate channels, I need  VCR, because the x10 doesn't have a coax input or tuner capability? 

Yes.. that is correct.

So would the setup be coax cable to VCR, VCR to x10, x10 to tv?  I would then need to change the channel on the VCR in order to watch the seperate channel on the "remote" tv, correct? 

Also correct. The round Video sender/receivers also have Built is IR abilities... so you can control the (say sending VCR) using the equipments remote.

alliejnp

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 10:47:35 PM »

Okay, one more question.  I'm looking online at ALL the DVD recorders, and I am overwhelmed.  Do I need one with a tuner for the setup that we are talking about? ANd if I do, is it imperative to have a digital tuner in light of all the analog/digital changes? It seems that some do and some don't,  Obviously the ones without are cheaper, but I want to make sure I am doing the right thing.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 11:14:40 PM by alliejnp »

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 12:04:37 AM »

Okay, one more question.  I'm looking online at ALL the DVD recorders, and I am overwhelmed.  Do I need one with a tuner for the setup that we are talking about?

You will need a tuner.

ANd if I do, is it imperative to have a digital tuner in light of all the analog/digital changes? It seems that some do and some don't,  Obviously the ones without are cheaper, but I want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

If you only plan on grabbing the signal from the cable company line... a digital tuner isn't required (or even useful). You only need a digital tuner to receive air broadcasts.
Even a old VCR would work.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.