Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: x10 device to control RCA/3.5mm audio jacks?  (Read 12964 times)

misha680

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
x10 device to control RCA/3.5mm audio jacks?
« on: September 15, 2009, 11:20:18 AM »

Dear Sirs:

I am looking for (preferably) off-the-shelf hardware to either:

a) Switch between two RCA audio inputs or
b) Turn on and off one 3.5 mm audio input

via X-10, either powerline or RF protocol. Any help much appreciated.

Thank you
Misha

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: x10 device to control RCA/3.5mm audio jacks?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 11:47:44 AM »

Nothing off the shelf, way too specialized for X10.

You will probably have to make it, or have a local TV shop make it for you..

Item A can be put togeather with a 120V coil relay ( http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/RLY-453/120-VAC-RELAY-DPDT-12-AMPS/-/1.html) powered by an Appliance Module.

Item B,  if mono can be done with one X10 Universal Module and a 3.5mm audio extension cord.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

misha680

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 03:40:59 PM »

Thanks. I guess what I really need is just a 3.5 mm on off switch of some kind to hook up to an X10 Universal Module. I did a quick Google search but did not find any. All I seem to find are the A/B switches like:
http://electronicsusa.com/mk1and2.html

There is also something like this but does not look right:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/27-5540&CAWELAID=220318456

Any hints on the appropriate part and how I can connect to X10 Universal Module?
http://www.smarthome.com/2010/X10-Universal-Module/p.aspx

Thank you
Misha

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 07:12:52 PM »

Thanks. I guess what I really need is just a 3.5 mm on off switch of some kind to hook up to an X10 Universal Module.

I don't know about audio. But I used a Universal Module to switch off/on video using a RCA plug. I simply skinned the outer insulator back on a video cable... exposing the outer shielding (bare copper wire), but left it intact. Twisted it out slightly to expose the inner insulated (video signal) wire, which I cut. Then I bared about a half inch on each end and attached to the Universal Module.

Since the cheap video cable I used had two male ends... I used an adapter to make one end female. Image attached:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 07:25:03 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 10:22:29 PM »

Thanks. I guess what I really need is just a 3.5 mm on off switch of some kind to hook up to an X10 Universal Module. I did a quick Google search but did not find any. All I seem to find are the A/B switches like:
http://electronicsusa.com/mk1and2.html

There is also something like this but does not look right:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/27-5540&CAWELAID=220318456

Any hints on the appropriate part and how I can connect to X10 Universal Module?
http://www.smarthome.com/2010/X10-Universal-Module/p.aspx

Thank you
Misha

Since your examples indicate your 3.5 mm plug is two circuit (stereo) then the Universal Module will not work as it will only break one circuit (mono). Whether you go with the relay board suggested by Knightrider or wire a 3.5 plug/jack extension cable (http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STELLAR-LABS-CGD-35FM-1-5F-/24-9530) to the DPDT relay (http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/RLY-453/120-VAC-RELAY-DPDT-12-AMPS/-/1.html) powered by the Appliance Module, you need to know some very basic electronic skills (wiring, soldering, etc ) or get the local TV shop, electronic hobbist, Ham radio operator, etc to help you.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 09:52:22 AM »

...... Since your examples indicate your 3.5 mm plug is two circuit (stereo) then the Universal Module will not work as it will only break one circuit (mono).

Your right (of course) dave w... the OP could just use two modules... I would guess a better solution is hidden by the question.

I am looking for (preferably) off-the-shelf hardware to either:
a) Switch between two RCA audio inputs or
b) Turn on and off one 3.5 mm audio input..... via X-10, either powerline or RF protocol. Any help much appreciated.

I don't know what the users is switching/controlling (other than audio). I use automatiic audio/video switchers myself... as well as X10 audio-video sender/receivers controlled by appliance modules.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 12:29:23 PM »

...... Since your examples indicate your 3.5 mm plug is two circuit (stereo) then the Universal Module will not work as it will only break one circuit (mono).

Your right  dave w... the OP could just use two modules... I would guess a better solution is hidden by the question.

Yes, the ole brain wasn't warmed up yet (non solid state...I think it is two 6L6's wired push-pull).
Using two Universal Modules would eliminate the relay and soldering. Misha, you would cut the cable in the middle, connect the shields (ground) of both ends back togeather then use the two Universal Modules to connect each of the two signal wires (they will be the insulated wires in the center of the cable) back togeather. Each Universal Module would complete the path for each audio line.
Thanks

misha680

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 07:57:56 PM »

Thanks guy. So do I understand correctly a standard off-the-shelf 3.5mm cable will do the trick, that is has
4 cables inside, that 2 will be grounds which I connect together, and then the other two I will run through
each of the 2 X10 universal modules?

Thank you
Misha

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 09:08:58 PM »

If it were me, I'd just break the ground.  I'm sure there's a good reason not to do this. maybe Dave W or Jeff Volp could add some insight.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 09:35:14 PM »

If it were me, I'd just break the ground.  I'm sure there's a good reason not to do this. maybe Dave W or Jeff Volp could add some insight.
Yeah, I thought of that but wondered about creating hum in whatever the audio is going to... so went with breaking both signal lines figuring it safer. It would probably work and would only need one Universal Module.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 09:40:57 PM »

Thanks guy. So do I understand correctly a standard off-the-shelf 3.5mm cable will do the trick, that is has
4 cables inside, that 2 will be grounds which I connect together, and then the other two I will run through

Thank you
Misha
More than likely you will have one braided shield and two insulated signal lines in the cable. So when you cut it in half and strip, you will be looking at two braided shields and four signal wires. Yes twist the two shields back togeather.

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 09:00:47 AM »

Never mind.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 08:38:12 AM by bitman »
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

misha680

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 11:02:02 AM »

Thank you
Misha
More than likely you will have one braided shield and two insulated signal lines in the cable. So when you cut it in half and strip, you will be looking at two braided shields and four signal wires. Yes twist the two shields back togeather.

Thank you. Will try this weekend.

misha680

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 06:41:10 PM »

It works!!! Thank you.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.