Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Transmit of Powerline Signal from CM15A  (Read 4282 times)

dtaipala

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Transmit of Powerline Signal from CM15A
« on: October 05, 2009, 08:24:51 PM »

I have a CM15A interface that I recently moved to a new location in my home on a new computer.  Prior to the move the CM15A was working properly. 

As part of this project I purchased two XPCR booster couplers.  I used one of them as a monitor of X10 signals by using the common and one of the active leads connected to a wall plug.  By plugging this in I  can see if any X10 signals are being sent through the powerline because the LED will flash.   

Here is the problem.   If I use one of the RF remotes that I have the RF signal is received by the CM15A and then commands are sent out on the powerline turning on / off a lamp module.  ActiveHome records the receipt of the command in the activity log and of course I can see the LED on the XPCR flash.

However if I use ActiveHome to turn on/off a module.  The LED does not flash, and the lamp module does not turn on or off.   I can only assume that the CM15A no longer can send or receive signals on the powerline.   Does anyone have any ideas?

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Transmit of Powerline Signal from CM15A
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 08:45:55 PM »

I own a CM15 that stopped sending PLC, but all was not lost.  It still sends RF which can be transceived by my other two CM15's.  The software driving the unit has had to have quite a few macros written to allow for functionality, and certain third party softwares (BXMC) use sendrf.

dtaipala,  you are not alone.  PLC circuits go bad.  Depending on your gumption, it's still a salvageable device. 
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 06:13:53 AM »

So if you use a RF remote the questionable CM15A sends a power line signal, but if you use the AHP software; a direct command to send a power line signal does not happen?

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 07:00:15 AM »

Ouch Brian H,
If i re-read the OP, I see that my reply looks like the ravings of a nut.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dtaipala

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 09:55:52 AM »

So if you use a RF remote the questionable CM15A sends a power line signal, but if you use the AHP software; a direct command to send a power line signal does not happen?

Brian H,

That is correct.  I am trying to decide if I should just get another CM15A or if I have another problem.

dtaipala

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 11:13:11 AM »

Brian H,

One other point.  the unit appears to 'receive' powerline signals because a powerline event from a module does appear in the activity log.  The only issue is that an action in ActiveHome on the PC does not result in a signal being placed on the powerline.

Dan T.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 11:51:08 AM »

dtaipala,
Are you sure AHP is actually talking to the CM15A?
From your excellent symptom description, I think the CM15A is 75% good. It receives RF, transmits PLC, updates activity monitor, etc. CM15A is talking to AHP but AHP isn't talking back.

Moving the CM15A shouldn't cause failure, so did you by chance change USB cables in the computer swap? Check the connectors at both ends. Does another USB device plugged into same USB port work OK on new computer? etc. etc.

Also I vaguely remember Jeff Volp commenting on the split reactive power supply in the XPCR and problems that could occur if one of the legs is lost (i.e your use of the XPCR from 120V outlet). If Jeff reads this perhaps he will weigh in.

Jeff weighed in and I was thinking of something else. Disregard the preceding paragraph.  :D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 04:15:54 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 02:47:32 PM »

Loss of neutral is the main issue for a repeater that straddles both phases.  Depending on how it is powered, loss of neutral might damage the unit unless both phases can accept the full 240V line voltage.

There was some discussion years ago on comp.home.automation regarding power sequencing for one of the common repeaters.  As recall, one phase was supposed to be turned on before the other phase.  That might indicate it has a dominant phase which powers the unit.

FYI:  Phase I is the dominant phase in the the XTB-IIR.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.