Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need HELP newbie here trying to automate my house  (Read 5209 times)

luisc202

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Need HELP newbie here trying to automate my house
« on: September 30, 2009, 08:16:39 PM »

I have mostly CFL bulbs throughout my home at the moment.   I just converted most of my bulbs so I am looking into having the garage lights come on at night and go off in the morning.  I also want to order dimmable switches to control 2 lights in my kitchen.   

One fixture in the kitchen has one dimmable CFL and the other has 3 CFL bulbs at this time.

The hallway chandelier has 9 CFL bulbs that are dimmable and a re 3 watts each.  It has a 2 way Leviton dimmer switch at the moment but would like to use X10 to control and put on a daily schedule.

I have 2 lamps in my bedroom that also have CFL's and want to be able to turn them on and off via remote control.

Please help me as I am new to X10 and was motivated by the party button video on youtube.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Need HELP newbie here trying to automate my house
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 09:59:44 PM »

Since most of your lights are CFL, you should stay away from X10's two wire switches (WS467, WS12) They are for incandecent bulbs only. They do not work well with CFLs, unless an incandescent bulb is in the circuit also. As a newbie, you probably do not want to go down that road.

ON-OFF wall switches for CFL are XPS3 which are X10 Pro line (www.X10pro.com). XPDI3 wall switches are dimable and also X10 Pro line. These switches are are "three wire" switches, meaning they must have a a "hot" line, "load" line, and a neutral line in the wall box. Many homes do not have the neutral line (usually white in color) in the wall box.

The link is a pretty cheap starter set for home automation and has several plug-in or screw in modules which will work with CFLs

http://www.x10.com/promotions/cm15a_am466_home_ql.html?QL#up1
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 06:46:35 AM »

The WS13A is the X10 model switch for CFL bulbs.

White is usually Neutral but not all the time. In a switch loop the white maybe the Line voltage. Though it should have a  black marker on it to designate that fact.

My home seems to be wired by a clown. I have unbelievable combinations in a switch box; that I recently wanted to add a automated switch to.

luisc202

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 11:08:20 AM »

Thanks for the responses.   So looking at my house last night and walking around.  This is what I would like to start with.

1.  Garage light switch controls 2 outdoor lamps with 6 CFL 5 watt bulbs

2.  Front door lamp with a CFL bulb  need a Switch of some kind

3.  Chandelier has 9 CFL bulbs and is on a leviton 2 way switch and is dimmable at this time.

4.  Kitchen has 2 switches for 2 lamp fxtures with CFL bulbs as well and I want to di them.

5.In the Master Bedroom I have 2 lamps and rope lighting on a wall outlet.  I want to be able to automate the lamps to come on when it is dark outside and turn on the rope lighting at midninght..

6.I want to put some LED's in my pantry and want to use the existing wall outlet thati s used for the over the range microwave to use electricity to automate some LED type light in the 2 pantrys so they automatically come on at night and go off in the morning like dusk to dawn effect.

I also would like to automate the blinds in the future somehow.

I just ordered the 99.99 kit you talked about.  I awai its arrival to start tinkering with this stuff.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 02:40:23 PM by luisc202 »

luisc202

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 03:06:28 PM »

I received my kit just now and this stuff is pretty cool.  I am hooked now..lol   

I just need to figure out what switches I need to order for the outdoor garage light, outside front door light and chandelier. 

thanks everyone for your input.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.