Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What do I need to control my fireplace, garage light and air conditioning?  (Read 35521 times)

Deemar

• Helpful Post Rating: 2

I got a bunch of lights in my house hooked up to X10 with a CM11A and Heyu. Now I want to add a few more things so I have questions:

1. Which module do I need as a light switch for replacing my ceiling fan light switch? It's a simple switch but the WS12A switches can't handle the load I guess, they won't work.
2. I have a light in my garage controlled by a WS12A switch and also a RR501 transceiver and a credit card remote to control it. I enter the garage from the back door to get in my car but the light switch is at the front so I use the remote to turn the light on/off in the mornings so I can see in there. I'd rather just have it motion activated, what do I need to do motion activation on this one light?
3. I have a gas fireplace controlled by a light switch, what would I need to control this?
4. I have a few LED lights in my kitchen and they don't draw enough current for a WS12A to work with them. Which module would I need to control these?
5. I have central air in my house and it's controlled by flicking a light switch on/off above the thermostat. Which module would I need to control this?

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR

The WS13A http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/WS13A
Will work for most of the switch questions.

There are a few ways to motion sense. One is the MS14A
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/MS14A
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 01:49:35 PM by Jsnlong »
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139

1. Which module do I need as a light switch for replacing my ceiling fan light switch? It's a simple switch but the WS12A switches can't handle the load I guess, they won't work.
Odd, the WS12A should work with incandescent fan light if the light controlling switch is separate from the fan motor control. Neither WS12A nor the WS467 will not work with CFL bulbs.
2. I have a light in my garage controlled by a WS12A switch and also a RR501 transceiver and a credit card remote to control it. I enter the garage from the back door to get in my car but the light switch is at the front so I use the remote to turn the light on/off in the mornings so I can see in there. I'd rather just have it motion activated, what do I need to do motion activation on this one light?
Any of the X10 "xxxxEye" motion sensors
3. I have a gas fireplace controlled by a light switch, what would I need to control this?
Crystal ball is broke, does the switch control 120V to the fireplace or is it a low voltage ignition control line. Low voltage controls are common and a "Universal Module" would be needed for that. The UM506 "Universal Module" requires a 120V outlet and gives you a contact closure. X10 does not make a "wall switch" to control low voltages. If the switch is controlling 120V a WS13A should work.
4. I have a few LED lights in my kitchen and they don't draw enough current for a WS12A to work with them. Which module would I need to control these?
LED lights are tough to control because the Appliance Module's local control circuit leaks enough electricity to keep LEDs lit. I use a Socket Rocket to control an LED rope light and it works well.
5. I have central air in my house and it's controlled by flicking a light switch on/off above the thermostat. Which module would I need to control this?
Well crystal ball is still broke. Assuming the switch is simply controlling the 24V AC line to the thermostat, again you would need the Universal Module since all other X10 switches are made to switch 120V or 240V. The UM506 "Universal Module" requires a 120V outlet and gives you a contact closure. X10 does not make a "wall switch" to control low voltages.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR

I guess I assumed to much on this one  :'

I will just dido what Dave said.........We need more information to give a good answer
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

dave w

• Community Organizer

I guess I assumed to much on this one  :'

Oh contraire my friend, your answer was excellent. It pointed Deemar to pages where he could get more information on his own. I just wanted to point out that he had wall switches which could be controlling low voltages (possibly only a few volts in the case of the fireplace) and X10 does not make a wall switch capable of doing that. However he could use a Universal Module tucked somewhere behind the scene to still utilize X10 control. Deemar needs to find out what he has.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 07:45:13 AM by dave w »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175

.......... I just wanted to point out that he had wall switches which could be controlling low voltages (possibly only a few volts in the case of the fireplace) and X10 does not make a wall switch capable of doing that. However he could use a Universal Module tucked somewhere behind the scene to still utilize X10 control. Deemar needs to find out what he has.

I agree completely.. the fireplace could be low voltage. But low voltage or not I wouldn't trust a gas fireplace solely to X10 (or at least not without precautions). However, maybe thats just me.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer

I agree completely.. the fireplace could be low voltage. But low voltage or not I wouldn't trust a gas fireplace solely to X10 (or at least not without precautions). However, maybe thats just me.
You are right.

I was waiting to see if Deemar is going to check what he has and pursue this.

In either the fireplace or the thermostat he should keep the original switch in place and only parallel the Universal module across the existing switch, perhaps even put a second switch in series with Universal module on the fireplace to have a "master OFF" function.  If house power is lost, the Universal Modules would not work, which would not be a probelm for the HVAC thermostat but could be for the fireplace if in the dead of winter, so he needs some manual overrides.

Deemar

Some good information here, I checked out most of the products mentioned. Does the universal module require an outlet? I'm also thinking of using one with the garage door but there's no outlet near the current garage door button. In fact there's only one outlet in the garage at all.

And what's the best way to find out if what I have is low voltage? I'm lost on this one.

dave w

• Community Organizer

Some good information here, I checked out most of the products mentioned. Does the universal module require an outlet? I'm also thinking of using one with the garage door but there's no outlet near the current garage door button. In fact there's only one outlet in the garage at all.

And what's the best way to find out if what I have is low voltage? I'm lost on this one.
sigh...Yes, Universal Module requires an outlet.

Plug Universal Module into same outlet as the opener and connect module contacts to opener,  not the wall switch. Since X10 signalling is far from infallible, you should put a magnetic window / door switch in series with this control line so the Universal Module can only close the garage door, never open it. You would mount the magnetic switch so it is closed only when the door is up.

Hire an electrician is safest way.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 02:14:25 PM by dave w »

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Deemar

Re: What do I need to control my fireplace, garage light and air conditioning?
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 11:54:27 AM »

sigh...Yes, Universal Module requires an outlet.

Plug Universal Module into same outlet as the opener and connect module contacts to opener,  not the wall switch. Since X10 signalling is far from infallible, you should put a magnetic window / door switch in series with this control line so the Universal Module can only close the garage door, never open it. You would mount the magnetic switch so it is closed only when the door is up.

Hire an electrician is safest way.
But the opener isn't plugged into anything, it's just a button on the wall. Does that change things? And I want it to open the door so I can get my car in there when I come home.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 12:27:12 PM »

The button on the wall. Is it wired to the opener or a remote that you have to put batteries in?

If it has wires. The universal module could be connected to it to open the door. I would also say adding a magnetic switch to only let the universal module open the door. If it could also close the door. Someone may get hurt.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 01:36:34 PM »

But the opener isn't plugged into anything, it's just a button on the wall. Does that change things? And I want it to open the door so I can get my car in there when I come home.
Don't you have something hanging from the ceiling in the garage? It lights up, makes a lot of noise, and the door moves up or down...

However, based on your new information, I don't think you want to use X10 for garage door control. X10 is susceptible to falsing. I wouldn't give the Universal Module the ability to open the door for fear it would false while I was gone, thus leaving the garage open all day. I have used it this way and have come home to an open garage. I now have the Universal Module wired so it can only close the garage door,  in the event I forget to (as determined by the home control system).

If you do not have a RF remote control for your garage door, see a garage door service company about installation of one.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 01:41:59 PM by dave w »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 03:38:46 PM »

...If you do not have a RF remote control for your garage door, see a garage door service company about installation of one.

A quick look at the unit (for brand and model numbers) and a little Internet "local" search [like online yellowpages] will find you an installer that can provide you with a replacement remote. Heck it's more than likely you can just pickup a replacement remote at Sears (or any other number of retailers). And for little difference in price over the universal module.

Very old units are hard to find and have pin switches to set to match your receiver. Newer units have a button pressing protocol to follow (directions can also be found on line).

If your door has the really old hardware... it won't have the safety light that projects a beam across the doors path to prevent accidental injury's ether. Without that safety feature... I wouldn't even auto-close. I decided to not auto-close my door... for several reasons. But hated finding the door wide open at bedtime... or worse in the morning.

I use Home Automation (shown in my YouTube Video) and BVC to announce when the door is open. Many times... I've seen my wife lay down her purse... and heard my computer announce that the garage door is open.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 12:38:25 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Deemar

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 06:13:38 PM »

Don't you have something hanging from the ceiling in the garage? It lights up, makes a lot of noise, and the door moves up or down...

However, based on your new information, I don't think you want to use X10 for garage door control. X10 is susceptible to falsing. I wouldn't give the Universal Module the ability to open the door for fear it would false while I was gone, thus leaving the garage open all day. I have used it this way and have come home to an open garage. I now have the Universal Module wired so it can only close the garage door,  in the event I forget to (as determined by the home control system).

If you do not have a RF remote control for your garage door, see a garage door service company about installation of one.
Sorry, totally left out some important information from my post.
- I have a wireless remote to open the garage door but I'd still like to control it from either my computer or my Blackberry via SSH.
- The wired button on the wall for opening the garage door isn't plugged into anything, it's completely wired in behind the wall. The panel has the big white button for opening the garage door and a smaller button for operating the light on the ceiling, connected to the motor.
- There is an infrared beam going across the bottom of the door which acts as a safety. If anything breaks the beam while the door is closing, it'll stop and go back up.

Does that help you? Now can I put a universal module on it somehow without an outlet? There must already be power wired to the switch for it to work.
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.