Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: iWitness, VA11A driver and Windows 7 XP emulation mode problems  (Read 18114 times)

cealbrecht

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
iWitness, VA11A driver and Windows 7 XP emulation mode problems
« on: October 06, 2009, 12:54:53 PM »

I've been testing Windows 7 x64 Ultimate for the past few weeks.  Amazingly, everything seems to work....all hardware and software that ran on XP but not on Vista....everything, except the VA11A driver.  I am very excited about the prospects of upgrading to a 64 bit operating system and taking advantage of all the newer hardware features of my computer that XP never used.

Under Windows 7, the ActiveHome software needs to be installed into a 'Windows XP virtual machine'.  Once installed there, the virtual machine can be closed and the Active home software can be accessed from the Windows 7 start menu.  Win7 will then execute the program under the XP virtual machine and attach all the devices and drivers neccessary to make it operate nicely with the Win7 environment.  It is very slick and well integrated.  I've been critical of Microsoft in the past but this operating system shows real promise.

I have all the ActiveHome options: AHPro, Smart Macros, iWitness, MyHouse, and On-Alert.  Every module installs properly and executes correctly except for the iWitness module.  The first issue appears during iWitness installation when an error message states that installation failed because it was unable to find the 'msvcr70.dll' file.  I found a copy on the internet and placed it into the \\windows\system32 directory on the XP virtual machine.  Ran the install for iWitness once more and this time there was no failure message.

The next possible issue is that the VA11A device must be attached to the XP virtual machine in order for the AHPro to see it.  When I attach the device the XP virtual machine sees it as the Intel PC Camera Pro.  I attempt to change the driver to the VA11A but the XP virtual machine does not accept the change.  This is where I currently stand.

Has anyone had success with the Win7 environment and the VA11A device driver?  Due to the overall success of the operating system, I will be moving to Win7 in a few weeks, but I would like to keep my video monitoring ability.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: iWitness, VA11A driver and Windows 7 XP emulation mode problems
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 07:11:36 AM »

Thank you for sharing your experiences with Windows 7.

One point on the XP Emulation mode. It will only be in the Professional and Ultimate Versions. So most users with the Home Premium. Will not have the XP Emulation Mode to use.

niko

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 04:58:53 PM »

I also have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and am trying to run the Vanguard software, its installed but I cannot get a good signal feed from my cameras.  What gives?  Maybe the wrong drivers?

CH

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 09:31:05 PM »

I have a problem with the VA12A also in windows 7.  I get a rundll32 error  and it iwll not detect the driver.  I can see the USB device in device manager but cannot fix the driver problem.

I went to another computer with Vista and have the same problem.

MichaelHlubb

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 08:03:50 AM »

Thank you for sharing your experiences with Windows 7.

One point on the XP Emulation mode. It will only be in the Professional and Ultimate Versions. So most users with the Home Premium. Will not have the XP Emulation Mode to use.

Vista or windows 7 can run a program in compatibility mode (Read run as if it's and older version of windows) 'as windows xp'
To see this, pick an icon on your  desktop, right click,then click on properties. Pick the compatibility tab, check the box and look at the older version of windows. (example windows XP allows you to run a program as Windows 95, windows 98/ME Windows NT 4 Service pack 5, or Windows 2000 )

This may help windows Vista/sever users without their needing to run windows XP virtually.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »

Thanks for the information.
I am not sure if we have seen any posts on trying the compatibility mode.

I have used it in XP when I had the original Active Home for the CM11A running.

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 09:48:34 AM »

Vista or windows 7 can run a program in compatibility mode (Read run as if it's and older version of windows) 'as windows xp'
To see this, pick an icon on your  desktop, right click,then click on properties. Pick the compatibility tab, check the box and look at the older version of windows. (example windows XP allows you to run a program as Windows 95, windows 98/ME Windows NT 4 Service pack 5, or Windows 2000 )

This may help windows Vista/sever users without their needing to run windows XP virtually.

I've tried the compatibility mode before in Windows 7 and it doesn't work ... or at least I can't get it to install the X10 drivers correctly.  I ran compatibility mode Windows XP (Service Pack 2).  I still get Unknown devices in the Device Manager.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 10:29:38 AM »

Don N; Thanks for your findings. It may help others.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.