Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What do do for theater lighting control?  (Read 2685 times)

dubge

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
What do do for theater lighting control?
« on: October 09, 2009, 11:59:13 AM »

Well I have been reading for a few days now and do not feel like I am getting any closer to knowing what to do!!! So I figure I will list what I have and what I was to do and see if anyone can steer me in the right direction.....

I bought a bunch of X-10 stuff 4 or 5 years ago with plans to automate a bunch of stuff in my house, I played around with and shelved it for what ever reason and am just now looking back into this. I have 2 transceiver modules (TM751) 2 lamp modules (LM465) 3 wall switch modules (installed in the wall on some lights) 2palm pad remotes (HR12A) and the firecracker module (CM17A)

I do not have any software, it was a download when I bought this stuff, it put a palm pad controller on my desktop that I could use to turn things on and off instead of using the remote.

I currently do not have a universal remote but was thinking about buying one like the Harmony 890 or 1000 but I am open to others.

What I want to do is to be able to push a button and dim to low or shut off the lights in the room (2-4 zones) and maybe turn on some lighting behind my TV and when I push it again it will bring the main lights back on.  I would also like to pause my TV and when I do that have the lights come back on maybe gradually get brighter or not even full strength/brightness then when I resume play the lights go back out.
I would also like to be able to turn my sub on and off when needed, for what ever reason they did not put an on/off switch on it and my receiver does not have one for it either unless I go through the settings and that is a bit of a pain to do.

I also have a HTPC in the room, I had the beta for windows 7 and I am not sure if I am going to put that on it or vista, I would like to use windows 7 but will go to vista or XP if that is what I have to do to get this all working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank You   

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: What do do for theater lighting control?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 12:21:20 PM »

I would also like to pause my TV and when I do that have the lights come back on maybe gradually get brighter or not even full strength/brightness then when I resume play the lights go back out.
I would also like to be able to turn my sub on and off when needed, for what ever reason they did not put an on/off switch on it and my receiver does not have one for it either unless I go through the settings and that is a bit of a pain to do.

The new IR27A ICON Universal Remote   in conjunction with the CM15A and Active Home Pro software that you would use to develop the lighting macros, will do everything you described with combined cost less than a Harmony. You will also need an Appliance Module for the sub.

Toss the Firecracker, it was a toy from X10 to generate consumer interest, but it doesn't have the power.
AHP software will work with XP and Vista but who knows about 7.

X10.com will have all the "gee whiz!" information you need. "How to" information is a different matter.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 12:24:32 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 05:41:06 PM »

What you want is easy enough. Although the idea of pushing the pause button and lights coming half up.. is one I've never heard before.. but could easily be worked into my setup.

It was My Home Theater that got me started with X10. I think most of the info you needed is posted on my Page. But keep posting here.. as you progress.

Take a minute to check out my Home Automation YouTube Video my Theater is mentioned in there too.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dubge

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 08:25:44 PM »

Oh come on now!!! You had to go and show me that voice stuff :o
Well now I really have my work cut out for me......so much for simple.

Ya the light thing is for my wife because it never fails, she always has to get up in the middle of what we are watching to go to the bathroom, stumble across the room, turn on the lights (usually blinding me in the process) then all over again on the trip back to the couch.

I am sure I am going to have many more questions in the weeks to come.

Thanks

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 08:42:22 PM »

.... I am sure I am going to have many more questions in the weeks to come.

You post... we reply.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.