Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: what size wire  (Read 14303 times)

sara2

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
what size wire
« on: October 13, 2009, 05:25:27 PM »

I'm going to be adding extra magnetic switches on a few door/window sensors.  What size wire would I need? 

Thanks,  Sara

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: what size wire
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 07:11:14 PM »

I'm going to be adding extra magnetic switches on a few door/window sensors.  What size wire would I need? 

Not much of a wire is needed.. I don't know maybe 22 gauge [or less] you will be better off with stranded wire NOT solid (although solid wire will work). I've extended some of my magnetic switches over 30 feet. I used two wire ribbon wire from radio shack.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 06:20:20 AM »

The wire on the door and window sensors is fairly light. Looks to me like maybe #28 and it doesn't have to carry much current.
#22 or #24 maybe easier to find and would be fine. I would also say stay away from solid if possible.

sara2

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 10:00:16 AM »

I've searched all over town for #22 and none to be found.  I may have to go with
#20, and even that's hard to locate.

Thanks, Sara

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 10:13:30 AM »

#20 should be fine.
No Radio Shacks near you?

sara2

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 11:30:52 AM »

Radio shack near me only had #22 solid, but I think Home Depot had #20 so I'll check there again.

Thanks, Sara

glb7272

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 11:31:38 AM »

Wow!!!! its hard to find hook up wire for the alarm industry on the consumer side. My suggestion is to use a non coiled telephone "extension cable". They are cheap, easy to find, and easy to "run". There are 4 wires inside but you could tie 2 wires x 2 to make a cable that would work.

Now I need the building code experts to answer the question "would that be OK for a low voltage application?"

Mellowmark

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
  • M M Electric
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 08:48:17 PM »

You got it phone cable, cad5 also works good (network cable) home depot has that.  if your not going to far strip it back, its twisted together and every thing.  we are talking 24 volt or less right. 
M M ElectricMan

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 09:37:53 AM »

Wow!!!! its hard to find hook up wire for the alarm industry on the consumer side. My suggestion is to use a non coiled telephone "extension cable". They are cheap, easy to find, and easy to "run". There are 4 wires inside but you could tie 2 wires x 2 to make a cable that would work.

Now I need the building code experts to answer the question "would that be OK for a low voltage application?"

The major problem with normal telephone cable is that each wire has only a very few strands and is easily broken.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

glb7272

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 11:09:13 AM »

sara2 did you find wire that would work? If so please share. It was hard for me to find that wire as well  :-\ Please do not look into the wire type and size to closely in this application ( I see you think way too much as I do) The main idea is that the whole thing is connected and you can do that with any wire (speaker wire, electrical wire, hook up wire) In the end it just needs 2 pieces of wire to work.

I asked about "code" even though I did not think it would matter just to see if it was safe and legal.

Charles Sullivan Sorry if i did not make sense i write slower than i think.
The major problem with normal telephone cable is that each wire has only a very few strands and is easily broken.
I was thinking about using a telephone extension cable (plug to phone)  and not telephone cable.  The extension cord has about 7 strands of copper per "wire" albeit very thin. I thought it could be a cheap alternative to buying a large quantity of cat5 or cat3. Just a idea
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 01:48:06 PM by glb7272 »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 11:36:23 AM »

FWIW
Doesn't look pretty, but plain ole "twisted pair" is available from the big box stores fairly cheap. Menards only sells pre cut rolls, but Home Depot and Lowes sells custom lenghts.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

sara2

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 01:30:49 PM »

I was able to find #20 at home depot but a limited quantity.  They don't seem to be very interested in restocking.  I guess there just isn't a big demand for this type of wire. 

Sara

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 03:59:16 PM »

You might find this topic informative.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=18369.0
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 04:58:58 PM »

..... I guess there just isn't a big demand for this type of wire. 

We seem to be a vanishing group. The phone store formerly known as: "Radio Shack" at one time carried all the little nit-noid items only a geek could love. Now-a-days we have to hunt for such things. You might try an automotive parts place.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Mellowmark

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
  • M M Electric
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 06:27:10 PM »

Listen you guys I don't now how for you need to run but cad 5 cable is your smallest size  and best bet.  You can buy it by the box or 25 to 10 foot or even 6 foot premade cables like for your computer network.

Go to the best buy or computer city, micro center  Lowe's home depot.   Get the premade cable and cut the ends off there is 8 conductors inside.. It will take some time but if you only need one or two for each you can strip the outer jacket and you the individual conductors for you switches..  One 25 foot piece will do 4 separate runs if you separate the cable their are pairs that are twisted together inside.
M M ElectricMan
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.