Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 NEWBIE!!!! range problems.  (Read 6661 times)

Big-MO

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 NEWBIE!!!! range problems.
« on: October 18, 2009, 09:56:33 AM »

Good Morning all::

I have a few quirks about the x10 wireless ds7000 system. (probally just me) but here goes. system cant see all the window sensors all over my house. anyway to help the distance and range. We got broke into Oct 8th and lost about 10 grand worth of stuff and a tore up home. so after thought of course i installed a x10 system 10/17 09 and its kinda squirly at times.  How do you tell if the unit arms when you are outside and hit the remote? i cant hear any tones from outside.  also the power horns i have installed do activate but only sound for about 5 seconds and then off for 10 and on for 5 (repeat). any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before i send all this stuff back and go with a wired system..... don't want to do that as its going to be a bear to get wires installed in my home.
thanks
Mo

paizano1

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
Re: X10 NEWBIE!!!! range problems.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 12:10:08 AM »

Well to start welcome to the wonderful world of x-10.  I am no guru so i will just give you some advice that has worked for me.  First the range issue is probably the number 1 complaint, except for no keypad, that is a whole different post. Without doing any mods to your console, the best thing to do is try some different locations thru-out your house for a more central location for the console.  There are plenty of posts about antenna mods which help plenty, but you void your warranty.  i had a similar problem with the powerhorn and it turned out to be just that the plug was loose and causing the signal to be lost and caused the siren to go on and off.( again try a different outlet and see if better results).  as for knowing status of the alarm from outside, couple ideas. I have all doors and windows secure except for garage door, in the garage i have a lamp module with a spotlight installed, the module is set to the same house code and unit code as the console.  When the console is armed the light will come on for about 1-2 seconds letting me know it is armed.  If you were to arm with a remote with delay, than the light would stay lit while delay is counting.  If your garage door is wired with a sensor than a lamp close to a window could be set to do the same thing. Well i hope this helps some, also sorry to hear about your breakin, hope they find the bast*&^S, or at least maybe they will get hit by a bus while stealing from the next house. one last thing, these forums have the greatest members that are all willing to help.  Most problems if not all problems anyone will encounter have already been solved.  good luck.

schnurro

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 01:34:53 PM »

I would recommend you give up and buy another system ... my sentinel's VA12A won't let me reboot my computer and it says its installed correctly.  I can see video the odd time but then the video blanks out and goes black.  Its a crap shoot if it works or not.  I have tried two different video receivers and both did the same thing.  Eric Boyd X10's tech support has been unable to help me.  I am very disappointed in X10's tech support because when he couldn't fix it he blocked my emails so I could not contact X10.

I would send every bit of my stuff back but I have had mine over one year now trying to get tech support and trying to get the Sentinal Cameras to work.

sara2

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 09:42:59 AM »

Mo, what's the model of your sirens.  I have 3 ph508 that are doing the same thing.   Until I read your post I thought the pause was normal.  I'll try different outlets today and see if there's any change.  Please post if different outlets make any difference for you.

Sara

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 09:59:12 AM »

The PH508 and the smaller SH10A Sirens are triggered by a power line signal. They need to see a one second cycle of either All Lights On -All Units Off or an On and Off on the address set on its House Code Unit Code dials. Most take three to four cycles to trigger and will continue until the cycle stops for more than a few seconds. You may have a power line signal problem to your sirens location and they are not seeing a continuous stream of cycles. In a test I found only a few needed to be missed to stop them.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.