Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More justification: Expand Monitored House Code  (Read 13343 times)

GeneMar

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
More justification: Expand Monitored House Code
« on: October 23, 2009, 01:00:17 PM »

I am desperately trying to find a home automation solution to replace an aging Circuit Cellar HCS system. ActiveHome Pro is coming close, but this Monitored Hose Code limitation is locking me out:

Our primary lights etc, are on House Code A.
I have Appliance Modules that I don’t want vulnerable to someone pressing ALL-OFF on House Code A (HC-A), so I configure those Appliance Modules on House Code B (HC-B). Obviously, if someone presses ALL OFF on HC-A, the Appliance Modules on HC-B are not affected. Good.

However, I want to be able affect those Appliance Modules on HC-B using my HC-A Controllers. So: I reserve three phantom addresses on HC-A:

A-14 (2^2)
A-15 (2^1)
A-16 (2^0)

If I press A15-ON, I want a macro to see that A15 came on, A14 and A16 are off, so that is command 2 (as in 010).

If I press A14-A15-ON, I want a macro to see that A15 and A15 are on, A16 is off, so that is command 6 (as in 110).

At the end of each macro, I make sure A14, A15 and A16 are turned off so I can watch for the next 'command'.

Now, I have 7 commands I can initiate in macros.
OK: command 2: Toggle an appliance on HC-B:
Look for 010:
  • Initiate the macro on A15 ON
  • Continue if A14 and A16 are off (otherwise we have command 6, 3 or 7)
  • Now, if the appliance on HC-B is ON, turn it off ELSE turn it ON.

BANG: Can't test a module on HC-B so don't know which way to toggle it.
I want to toggle it because I don’t want to use up two of my seven commands on just this appliance.

I'm new to this product, but from the posts have learned this was a memory issue. I also see hints that a 1k to 8k upgrade may be the current situation and perhaps this restriction can be relaxed?

Even if not: Allow me to select the individual modules I want the unit to monitor. Like sunset resolution, I can trade off memory myself. I may just specify 20 modules (not even two house codes full) but their housecodes-addresses should be irrelevant.

Any chance of me being able to move to ActiveHome?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: More justification: Expand Monitored House Code
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 01:32:59 PM »

Have you read any on the use of flags? I am no expert of the use of flags.... but they can provide you with 16 more points of reference as to status of a module(s).

You provided a fine description of your problem. Thank You.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 02:41:59 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

GeneMar

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 02:36:09 PM »

Thank you for the pointer, and this looks like it could do the ticket for now (though expanding Monitored House Codes would still be a very welcome enhancement by many.)

The depth of the Flag thread(s) and anomalies around their state after upload, etc., look a bit daunting, but let me give this a try for now.

Thanks,
Gene

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 02:47:53 PM »

......... look a bit daunting, but let me give this a try for now.

If it doesn't workout be sure to repost.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 07:48:53 PM »

Any chance of me being able to move to ActiveHome?

As Dave X10 pointed out flags can augment the pathetic ability of the CM15A to only keep track of one House Code. The flags will give you an addition 14 HCUC that can be tracked.

If cost is a big factor X10 AHP and CM15A is the least expensive way to upgrade.

However you might consider Homeseer. Homeseer is far more powerful than AHP but more expensive. Homeseer is softwre only so you will still need a computer and a powerline interface, such as X10's CM15A, CM11A or ACT TI110. Total outlay $200-$300 depending on the interface. Look at homeseer.com
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

GeneMar

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 08:33:10 PM »

Yes, I'm looking at flags now; it appears prommising, thank you.

I did come across Homeseer in my research this week, but I'd really like to avoid a running PC if at all possible.

What really looked like the ticket was the EZSrve INSTEON/X10 Home Automation Gateway
http://www.simplehomenet.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9357342317. This looks fantastic with the build in WEB interface, etc. But here are my experiences before return it: http://simplehomenet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=699. Might be worth a look in another year.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.