Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM15Pro Interface  (Read 8782 times)

adgilcan

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM15Pro Interface
« on: October 25, 2009, 09:49:19 AM »

I'm new to X10 and am beginning what will be a large install in my home.

I have started off with a few LM12 lamp modules, a few LW12 micromodules, a TM13 transciever module, an Easytouch35 Universal remote, a CM15Pro and Indigo Pro (mac software).  I am shortly getting a couple of TWM4 transmitter micromodules.

The problem I am currently having is that whilst I can turn on the lamps in the LM12 modules with both Indigo and the Easytouch35, when I turn them on with the Easytouch35 the changed state is only reflected in Indigo when the RF signal goes through the CM15PRO aerial.  When it goes through the TM13 aerial, the lamps turn on but Indigo doesn't know about it.

Is this normal?  I would have thought that the TM13 would send the command into the wiring circuit where it would be picked up by the CM15PRO and forwarded to Indigo.  This is what seems to happen when the remote is directed to the CM15PRO.  By the way, the CM15PRO is upstairs by the Mac PC and the TM13 is downstairs by the lamps.  Both are out of range of each other.

I am planning to install the TWM4 transmitters in some of my lighting circuits and would like them to trigger "action groups" as macros are called in Indigo to set various scenes.  If the problem I am encountering with the Easytouch35 is valid, will I not get the same problem with the TWM4s?

Basically what I am trying to do is have commands sent from switches and remote controls on the wiring network picked up and processed by Indigo either into visual indication of state, or to trigger a macro.  I understand that Indigo cannot download macros into the CM15PRO for standalone operation but that is OK as I intend for the Mac PC to be on 24/7 as a house server.

Am I making some basic errors, or are there incompatibilities with the hardware?

Any help much appreciated.

Duncan

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: CM15Pro Interface
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 10:26:05 AM »

Is it possible to plug one of the LM12 modules in the same outlet as the CM15Pro?
Then activate it through the remote? If it sees the signal from the remote through the TW13 at the CM15Pro's outlet. Then you may have to find out why the CM15Pro is not passing the message to Indigo. If it does not see it. There could be a signal problem from the TW13's location to the CM15Pro's location.

adgilcan

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 12:47:49 PM »

Hi Brian

Yes I can try that.

The two transceivers are on different ring mains, so I suppose there could be a bit too much attenuation?

I will try what you suggest and report back.

Many thanks

Duncan

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 12:55:16 PM »

OK let us know what you find.
It maybe a attenuation thing as it sounds like you have more than one Mains Feed.

adgilcan

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 01:53:13 PM »

Hi Brian

With the TM13 in its original position (on a different ring main downstairs), Indigo sometimes logged Easytouch commands. Sometimes they were correct and sometimes they were the wrong ones e.g A6 instead of A3. However the correct unit code was switching.

When I plugged the TM13 in next to the CM15, all codes were correctly logged and the lamps switched OK.

When I plugged the LM12 module next to the CM15 and send an easytouch command from downstairs via the TM13 (now relocated downstairs), The LM 12 switched but Indigo did not log the command!

So, am I right in thinking that there is a noise/ attenuation issue going on? If so how should I deal with it? The house is quite large and I'm pretty sure the electrical supply is fairly dirty. Do I need filters and/ or repeaters?

When you say I have more than one mains feed; I have only one supply to the house through one distribution board and several RCDs.  The power is divided up into three separate ring mains.  The lighting is similarly divided into different areas of the house on a daisy chain layout.  Is that what you meant?

Many thanks for your quick help.

Duncan

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 06:17:56 PM »

Sorry for the misread of your message.
I though your comment ring mains. Meant more than one feed to the home.

I am not familiar with the way UK electric is wired. I do know that machines we use to see in Europe. Most times where 220 Volts. AC Line and Neutral. Here in the US we have a split single phase. 120 Volts from either Line to Neutral and 240 Volts from Line to Line. That is why we frequently need a coupler or repeater between the two Lines.

Have you looked at some of our Troubleshooting Threads? Some items like split phase would not apply; but finding noise and signal absorbers maybe similar.

adgilcan

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 05:52:46 AM »

Hi Brian

I will have a look at the Troubleshooting threads for noise problems.

It is highly unusual to find domestic installations with three phase supplies in the UK.  415v is reserved for industry and commercial applications.  Given its lethal voltages, there are also strict rules on the proximity and balance of the phases.  Generally speaking, power supply (220v) runs in a parallel ring out from and returning to the distribution board.  There may be spurs off it to appliances or short extensions.  Often there are separate rings for upstairs, downstairs and external etc.

Lighting circuits are generally just parallel lines.

I don't know if you wanted to know that :) but it may help you assist a UK user in the future?

Many thanks

Duncan

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 05:55:44 AM »

Thanks all new data is welcomed.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.