Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wireless programming of AHP...my version.  (Read 5347 times)

cantbreak80

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Wireless programming of AHP...my version.
« on: December 15, 2009, 04:22:37 PM »

My CM15A and all the RF remotes work really well from my home’s upper level…the converted home office/bedroom.

But, I like to tinker with macros and stuff while watching TV in the lower level.  And, when my new W7 laptop is plugged into the same circuit as the CM15A, I lose control of most of the house…yeah, I know…I need a filter for the laptop’s charger.

So, I dug through my inventory and found my old Toshiba that had begun to have problems about 10 years ago.  I cleaned all the “clutter” and stuff from it and did a fresh XP install.  I connected it to my network and a few hours later the MS updates and settings adjustments were completed.

I can't get MS Remote Desktop to work from W7 to XP, so I downloaded Teamviewer 5…(free for private use) remote PC control software to both machines.

Then I installed AHP v3.228 onto the old computer and saved my current AHP settings to its HD.

I connected the CM15A to an 8’ extension cord and placed it on top of a book shelf near the ceiling, and plugged the USB into the freshened old Toshiba.  The remotes work even better now.

Then, I went down two levels to my TV room (where I spend most of my time), fired up the new W7 machine and logged onto the old Toshiba via Teamviewer.  Its desktop appeared on my W7 machine.  KEWL! Wireless programming of AHP!

Now, I can have the W7 on my lap, watch football, play with my AHP macros, and suffer no operational issues.  And, when I go spend time at the fetching blonde’s house, I can take my W7 with me or even use her PC to make changes.  Way KEWL!  The best part…it was FREE!

So now, I’m on my way into the world of owning an HC PC and all it’s mysteries.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 04:47:53 PM by cantbreak80 »

davideinmd

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: Wireless programming of AHP...my version.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 04:40:41 PM »

That's awesome! Teamviewer (and other's like it) are a great alternative to the MyHouse plugin I never could get to work reliably!  :'

Mellowmark

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
  • M M Electric
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 06:11:48 PM »

Sounds like a helpful from me. That sounds just like what i want to do.

Great job   :)% :)% :)% Small crowd HA!
M M ElectricMan

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 07:13:45 PM »

So, I dug through my inventory and found my old Toshiba that had begun to have problems about 10 years ago.  I cleaned all the “clutter” and stuff from it and did a fresh XP install..... 
..... So now, I’m on my way into the world of owning an HC PC and all it’s mysteries.

Welcome to the club.

I hate seeing those old PC's set out for trash... or set in a closet to gather dust. I use an old P3 for my Home Automation PC. I rescued it from trash and upgraded it with RAM I bought (used) at a flea market.

Those old PC's do so much towards making a home smart. Check out my S.A.R.A. project.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 06:25:32 AM »

I have my HA controller PC in the basement running XP using VNC to controll it.  I can remote in from my home office linux machine upstairs.  The cool thing about VNC is that they have versions of it for so many different OS platforms.

Dan
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 08:33:56 AM »

I have my HA controller PC in the basement running XP using VNC to controll it. 

I also keep my HA PC in the basement... but my home office is also down there. But most of my PC stuff (now-a-days) I do on my laptop in my easy chair. I have AHP loaded on the laptop... and I can create, and edit macros on the laptop.. then merge them to the HA PC.

I haven't done any remote control of the HA PC as yet... but as a former network admin.. it would seem natural. Of course when I worked on PC's remotely it wasn't to save myself the walk to another workstation. It was just to avoid touching peoples personal stuff all the time. Particularly during flu season.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Geewiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 07:02:38 PM »

I have my HA controller PC in the basement running XP using VNC to controll it.  I can remote in from my home office linux machine upstairs.  The cool thing about VNC is that they have versions of it for so many different OS platforms.

Dan

Dan: I recently discovered a version of TightVNC for Android phones.  I have it installed on my HTC Hero smartphone and can drill in to my HA server (like yours, in my basement) from virtually anywhere that I have cell phone or internet service. 

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »

Dan: I recently discovered a version of TightVNC for Android phones.  I have it installed on my HTC Hero smartphone and can drill in to my HA server (like yours, in my basement) from virtually anywhere that I have cell phone or internet service. 

A note to others...
Geewiz mentions that he can get to his HA computer from his cell phone, or basically anywhere outside his house.  This can be done, but you usually have to configure your network router to forward the network traffic to your HA computer.  This can be a security risk if not done properly, so be careful.

Just something to keep in mind

Dan B.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Geewiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 08:02:23 PM »

A note to others...
Geewiz mentions that he can get to his HA computer from his cell phone, or basically anywhere outside his house.  This can be done, but you usually have to configure your network router to forward the network traffic to your HA computer.  This can be a security risk if not done properly, so be careful.

Just something to keep in mind

Dan B.

Dan is correct, but an intruder would have to know which port to exploit  ( out of nearly 50,000 or so,) and would then have to crack the password.   I've been using VNC like this for nearly 8 years and (knock wood) haven't had any problems thus far. 

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.