Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Windows 7 - 64 bit  (Read 17347 times)

dash

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Windows 7 - 64 bit
« on: November 04, 2009, 07:09:24 AM »

I've trawled the forum but can't find a clear answer on AHP software and CM15 driver compatibility with Windows 7 - 64 bit.

I'm about to purchase a new PC with Windows 7 - 64 bit and want to be sure that I will still be able to access the CM15 to edit my programs.

What's the score? Will I need new drivers and/or a new version of AHP (I'm currently using 3.228)? Does AHP incorporate the drivers for the CM15?

Many thanks in advance....

Dave   ???
Automation is great - but really frustrating when it doesn't work as expected !!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Windows 7 - 64 bit
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 11:25:42 AM »

I think there are some Windows 7 users out there that have tried using the CM15A with AHP. You'll likely get some more posts soon.

I know there are some challenges using it with Vista, at least some video ones. I have my doubts that they were resolved for Windows 7 as I do not believe they are fault of Windows.
i.e. The latest AHP software release addressed some of the video issues in using AHP with Vista and it has known bugs that have yet to be addressed by X10. Many as a result have gone back to the previous AHP software version.

I and many others believe Windows XP is the best system for working with the CM15A and AHP. As a result I run my AHP on a cheap used XP computer dedicated for that purpose that runs 24/7.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 11:33:33 AM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 01:38:59 PM »

ahp works just as well with my win7 64 bit as it did with my vista 32bit and vista 64 bit system.  Once you accept the fact that VA11's have no 64 bit drivers and buy va12's, and accept that the streaming video in ahp and vanguard do not work with any of these systems, you are good to go.  I use only snapshots as none of the available codecs work for me without crashing ahp.  I made a huge ahx once that had timers and flags and fake modules to try to prevent a second video recording to start before the first ended but never could master it well enough to keep crashes from happening;  ie., x10 does not know how to handle starting a new video record session until not only after the previous is over but after it regurgitates the data and actually saves the file to disk to finish. 

That said, it works fine on win7 64bit :)

fje

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 04:24:07 AM »

Hi, Dash, have a look to my post:

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=19077.0

If you (or any other one) have a different experience, please, let us know....

joako

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 10:19:15 AM »

It should be in %APPDATA%, Give it a try... WinKey + R -> %APPDATA% 

But I don't see any AHP stuff there. Try this: there should be an option if you right click on AHP icon "Run as Administrator" or something like that it has a little shied icon next to it. I've had that resolve issues with old software like Outlook 2003 would not set itself as the default email program if you didn't run it that way. It could be AHP tries to store the data in a non-standard location and under Windows Vista / 7 to modify files in certain folders the program needs administrator rights. I guess everything else works fine because all the other data is stored in the .ahx file?

dash

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 02:13:08 AM »

Loaded AHP 3.240 onto Windows 7 without problem and seems to communicate fine with CM15.

However, as reported by fje, you must open AHP as administrator to avoid seeing the welcome screen every time, and default monitored house codes being allocated.

Other than that, all seems OK  ;)
Automation is great - but really frustrating when it doesn't work as expected !!

eagle

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 09:08:43 AM »

V 3.240?

So, they have a new release?

If so, can you give us feedback please on its behavior especially with timers and VA12A if you have it.

Thanks,
eagle

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 10:36:59 AM »

eagle:
Dash is using the European version of AHP!
Not the North American version!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

eagle

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 11:30:33 AM »

Thanks Tuicemen.

Oh, well.  I thought it was Christmas already.  :)

r,
eagle

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 10:42:32 AM »

I have Win 7 on my desktop, but run AHP on my notebook (so I can bring it to the CM15A in the breakfast nook  ;D ).  So, I haven't had to attempt to install AHP on my desktop yet.

However, if one has Win 7 Professional or Ultimate, there is the new Virtual XP capabilities.  Within that, one can install any XP program and USB driver.  Therefore, if nothing else works, one should be able to install AHP and the CM15A drivers that way.

I have already installed two old, no longer supported, USB devices and their software this way, and it works amazingly.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

mike

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 07:15:30 AM »

WOW NELLY!!!!!!!!!   WHAT YOU TALKING ABOUT????  Sounds tooooooooo gooooooood tooooooo be true!!!!!!!!!!

I searched help on  my win7 64bit ultima and see nothing about 'virtual xp'   I have a DOS app I NEED to run and the 'doxbox' apps don't quiet hack it!  PLEASE TELL MORE!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 07:33:55 AM »

I searched help on  my win7 64bit ultima and see nothing about 'virtual xp'   I have a DOS app I NEED to run and the 'doxbox' apps don't quiet hack it!  PLEASE TELL MORE!

Check out Windows Virtual PC.

Basically, one can run just about any OS under Win 7.  Microsoft "gives" you XP SP3 as a pre-packaged example, but you can also manually install anything; I guess even DOS but I don't know any who has (the non-Windows examples I have seen, have all been Linux).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 07:37:49 AM by Walt2 »
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 10:38:31 AM »

I believe to get the Windows 7 virtual XP. It was a download from all I have read. As I have not sprung for Windows 7 yet.

gaby

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 12:15:19 AM »

Anyone knows how to access myhouse.x10.com and gate.x10.com on a windows 7 machine in internet explorer
the trick I used for vista does not seem to work the activex control appears to load but nothing happen.

mike

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 11:55:06 AM »

fwiw,  I am using AHP 2.326 with all add-ins on win7 64 bit machine and all work fine.  Have windows virtual XP for a dos database program but don't need it for AHP.  I cant say if VA11 works again as I switched to VA12 for video with vista 64 before this.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.