Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM15A can't control certain rooms  (Read 5139 times)

shanepresley

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM15A can't control certain rooms
« on: October 14, 2009, 01:03:56 PM »

I recently purchased a CM15A with AHP ver3.236 and several appliance modules.  Everything is setup and working nicely, for most rooms.  My computer/CM15A is installed in bedroom #1.  I'm able to control devices in bedroom #2, kitchen, etc -- but devices in my living room don't respond.  (I'm testing with a single lamp/appliance module, so I know they are good). 

I tried unplugging most devices in my apt (to see if it was a noise problem), but I still can't control devices in the living room. 

I only have one electrical panel, with 6 circuit breakers.  What's odd is that one circuit breaker controls living room/bedroom #2.  So on a single circuit breaker, I have some coverage, and some failures.

It's a very old NYC apartment, with old wiring.  Anything I can do, or am I out of luck?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: CM15A can't control certain rooms
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 01:25:47 PM »

No, you are not out of luck yet. Are you sure all the outlets in the livingroom are on that one breaker? Your troubleshooting for noise is a good move, and appearently you have read enough to know about noise and phase coupling problems (http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm). Your description could be either. If you have an electric stove, turn on the oven and try everything again (this also works with a full size 220V clothes dryeron a hot air cycle). If you suddenly have better coverage, you may have a coupling problem.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

shanepresley

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 05:52:12 PM »

Thanks for the reply!  Yes, I tried to do some reading about noise before posting  ;D

Unfortunately my apt has a gas stove, and no washer/dryer. 

I can't recheck the breakers at the moment, since my girlfriend is watching TV and I don't want to power everything down.  But either way -- what options would I have?  I read your link, and while I didn't understand the specifics, it seems my two options would be a coupler or repeater?  But keep in mind, this is an apartment, so I probably can't install a coupler?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 08:20:46 PM »

Smarthome.com makes a "Signalinc" repeater that plugs in to a 220V clothes dryer plug. If you do not have a dryer outlet, do you have anything in apt that works on 220V?
If not, things look dark assuming you do not want to wire a repeater into your breaker panel.

Smarthome also makes a amplifier that amplifies only one phase (uses a 120V outlet so does not bridge the phases) which might work.
http://www.smarthome.com/4827/BoosterLinc-Plug-In-Signal-Booster-X10-X-10-Amplifier/p.aspx

Did you try moving the CM15A to other outlets?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

side068

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 02:22:14 PM »

i'm having the same problems with my CM15A some rooms don't work at all or will turn on but not off but other times it's random.. and while the TM751 tranciever and plug n power (Radio shack's branded MC460) will work just fine in the plugged into the same outlet. while the the CM15A is not!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.