Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: night vision  (Read 21666 times)

vso installer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
night vision
« on: November 13, 2009, 12:15:10 PM »

does x-10 offer a camera that has night vision or infrared capabilities? I have a customer who needs this for his backyard at night, this would be a plus to meet his needs

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: night vision
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »

does x-10 offer a camera that has night vision or infrared capabilities? I have a customer who needs this for his backyard at night, this would be a plus to meet his needs

X10 has the Sentinel and Vanguard cameras that have nightvision and require very little starlight or additional light. They are VERY nice pro quality cameras with 44X zoom (I think you can read the date on a coin at 20 feet). But X10 has no IR cameras.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

vso installer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 04:13:34 PM »

Thank for the information, wanting to try the sentinel too...  but i have heard the pan has some problems, maybe on a future model a infrared feature could be added. thanks again vso installer

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 05:00:41 PM »

Thank for the information, wanting to try the sentinel too...  but i have heard the pan has some problems, maybe on a future model a infrared feature could be added. thanks again vso installer

There isn't a lot of real benefits with IR cameras in a home install. Its really best to put a lot of light on an area you want to protect... even motion sensor lighting is good. I think a lot of people want to use an IR cameras so they can save themselves the hassle and expense of proper outside nighttime lighting.

I have one big chunky IR camera out in the open where anyone can see it. I know cameras deter crime... when the cameras can be seen. But I also have enough floodlight (motion sensor) lighting to play ball by. Because I know that deters crime too.

aslamma

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 11:48:13 PM »

Curious, don't most CCD cameras automatically detect IR?  Its just that you still need IR illumination to see it.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 01:45:50 AM »

Curious, don't most CCD cameras automatically detect IR?  Its just that you still need IR illumination to see it.

Yes... and No. Yes most cameras can detect the IR part of the light spectrum... to some extent. But... No. Detecting a broad range of the light spectrum isn't the same as being able to use it all effectively. Or... at least that is how it was explained to me. I am not a camera person.

I have often thought that X10 could make the filter changes needed in it's lowlight camera to make it more IR friendly and sell add-on IR spotlights.

But it really gets back to what is the camera being used for. If your a home owner... you want security cameras to deter intruders and crime. If the cameras aren't seen they can't deter. I don't think anyone would be happy with good sharp video of an intruder breaking they're stuff and hurting they're loved ones.

If you can deter crime... and get video that could maybe help police capture criminals... that is the holy grail. But I don't think the dark... would be an aid to that end ether.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.