Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Baby monitor or Expensive Microphone  (Read 66170 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Baby monitor or Expensive Microphone
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2010, 10:17:54 PM »

Considering the number of nuts on the road now with ground based cars, I'm glad flying cars didn't come along.   :-\

I am confident that flying cars would make riding my bicycle safer.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

wildbillfl

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2010, 10:10:35 AM »

Hey dbemowsk,
         This is a intesting idea. I think your still inserting tv noise into the equation. I'm new to the community, and I'm a diy Christmas light finatic. I'm in full blown Christmas set up mode right now. I always wanted to build that circut. I'll have to try it after Christmas. Great idea!!!

wildbillfl

Here is a theory I have for cleaning up the audio.  I may be totally wrong on this so all you pro audiophiles out there can correct me. 

I did some searching on noise canceling and found a site which shows a circuit schematic for a noise canceling headphone circuit.

(To read the whole article on this, go to http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/noise_prj.htm)

The circuit is designed to have a microphone connected to J1 which picks up the outside noise.  It then uses that signal inverted to cancel out any of that noise that comes through the headphones.  J2 then allows you to insert your music or whatever you want to listen to on to the noise free signal. 

My theory is that I can use this to cancel out TV noise in the room by injecting the audio signal straight from the TV into J1.  Next, inject the pre-amped signal from an omnidirectional room mic into J2.  The omnidirectional room mic will pick up the TV sound as well as my voice commands.  This circuit should effectively do the following:
(voice commands with TV noise) - (TV noise) = voice commands
Thus the noise canceling properties of the circuit should strip off any signal put into J1 from anything put into J2 and output the difference of the two which should be a cleaned up signal with mostly just the voice commands.

I have not yet tried to build this circuit, but I plan to try it out.  When I do I can post my findings.

As mentioned, any corrections to my theory are welcome.

dbemowsk

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2010, 10:43:15 AM »

Hey dbemowsk,
         This is a intesting idea. I think your still inserting tv noise into the equation. I'm new to the community, and I'm a diy Christmas light finatic. I'm in full blown Christmas set up mode right now. I always wanted to build that circut. I'll have to try it after Christmas. Great idea!!!
 wildbillfl

Noise cancelling does look promising. Or maybe using a gate setup that will automatically select the input line would be helpful as well.

With my camera setup.... I use a video selector to automatically switch to the video [camera] input (Philips PH-61153 4x1 Automatic Video Selector and RF Modulator). It will/would also work with just audio input, I believe. Something like that might help to select the input device. I haven't tried that... Just a thought.

It seems to me... that us voice control users are divided into two groups. Those of us [like myself] that have very little noise problems. And those who homes seem to be overly enriched with high volume sounds.

I would think... if I lived in a high volume home... I would consider using an intercom setup. Having several intercom speakers to better share the computers voice would be helpful. And just pressing a handy intercom button to command an action would be easy as well.
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.