Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Realistic Guard Dog?  (Read 11581 times)

aba

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Realistic Guard Dog?
« on: November 24, 2009, 09:29:53 AM »

Guys,

Hoping you can help. First post, please be gentle  ;D

I want to set up a barking dog type sensor for the house.  At the moment I can think of three options but would appreciate your input and ideas.

1. REX-10 - http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/rex10-barking-alarm-system-p-1151.html

Looks good but am concerned about the motion sensor and false alarms.

2. http://www.southern-stronghold.co.uk/dog.html

With an appliance module set to A2 so it is only on when the alarm is armed.

3. Do something with a PIR, PC speakers and MP3's.

I would want the barking MP3's to be random so it is more realistic. I also like the idea that it won't necessarily sound like a German Sheppard as most of these alarm types do. Problem is, I haven't a clue about how to do this option!!

What have others done and was it successful?

Thanks in Advance
Stace
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 09:44:39 AM by stace »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Realistic Guard Dog?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 10:58:06 AM »

I want to set up a barking dog type sensor for the house.  At the moment I can think of three options but would appreciate your input and ideas.

Don't worry... I am known for my gentile and kind (type) words. And Welcome to the Forum!

We have a thread here at the forum about a home made robo-dog like device:  http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=16785.msg94424#msg94424

I see your supplied links are both UK links... so I will assume you might not be in the USA (or our northern annex). The X10 USA and X10 Europe are different... and not completely compatable.

I use a CM15A (USA) computer interface and run a Home Automation Computer 24/7... so I could/can/do.. do a lot using macros. But that may be a bit more than what your looking for. You could think about a NON-dog bark warning. I use a computer Voice warning. Seen here in my YouTube Video (near the end).

If a German Sheppard is born and rasied in a differnt country.... does it still sound German?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

aba

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 12:20:39 PM »

Hi, Thanks for the quick response.  Yep, I'm in the UK.

I've been using X10 in simple terms, lighting etc, for about 8yrs but never really got around to doing anything more with it.  Now I've got the urge to play again  -:)

I still don't quite understand how the mp3 player automatically plays?  Its not like most, nowadays, have old analogue type power switches, how does it power up and play as opposed to just sit in standby now it has power???

I will be installing automation software onto one of my laptops and getting a CM15Pro http://www.letsautomate.com/12615.cfm?CFID=1623317&CFTOKEN=96951d-2418fa0f-845c-4a28-8a20-8fe0ddc6fed4&URLCaller2=X10 at some point.  Which software is recommended??

Sorry for the lame questions.

Thanks
Stace

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 12:34:54 PM »

.... I still don't quite understand how the mp3 player automatically plays?  Its not like most, nowadays, have old analogue type power switches, how does it power up and play as opposed to just sit in standby now it has power???

That took me a while to figure out too.

This would be an MP3 player tasked to be... a barking dog or voice warning. You would record/download your sound files. And then set the MP3 player to shuttle through the sound selections. Or to repeat the same selection. Be sure to select a player that has a rechargable power supply and a plug-in charger. The MP3 player will play away... 24/7.

It is the powered speaker (like regular old computer speakers) that are turned on and off. Generally by a motion sensor.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 12:58:39 PM »

Once you get the cm15
You could use the PC to play the MP3 files (may save you the price of a player).
There are a few third party software options for playing MP3s although I've only used x10WavPlayer and PC Companion for that. More info for each can be found in the Third Party Add-ons & Software section in the forum here.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

aba

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 08:03:55 AM »

Thanks guys, I'll have a play and let you know how I got on  #:)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 10:43:46 PM »

Guys,

1. REX-10 - http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/rex10-barking-alarm-system-p-1151.html

Looks good but am concerned about the motion sensor and false alarms.

2. http://www.southern-stronghold.co.uk/dog.html

With an appliance module set to A2 so it is only on when the alarm is armed.

3. Do something with a PIR, PC speakers and MP3's.

I would want the barking MP3's to be random so it is more realistic. I also like the idea that it won't necessarily sound like a German Sheppard as most of these alarm types do. Problem is, I haven't a clue about how to do this option!!

What have others done and was it successful?

Thanks in Advance
Stace

I read a while back that Rex has to be shielded to prevent false alarms, You're suppose to only trigger it from the  front but I've read where people had to build special shields to block the back from being exposed so that it's not triggered from the rear, maybe you should Google it first.

Tom j..

aba

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 02:25:52 AM »

Tom,

I thought REX was triggered from the PIR it comes with?  Are you referring to the other barking dog I have as option 2?

Stace

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 01:34:52 PM »

Let clear this up. There are actually two commercial barking dog alarm products:

REX is the newer one and is still available:  http://www.old-fashioned-values.com/get_item_rex_barking-dog-alarm-rex.htm  This product uses Radar Activation and can see through walls and doors.

Robo dog was a no longer available product that used a motion sensor (generally placed outside).

The other option is the DIY robodog that uses X10 devices to control and MP3 player and powered speaker.

aba

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 02:26:48 PM »

Thanks Dave  >!

In the UK, the Radar version of Rex is called SecureDog.  There is also a Marmitex X10 product which in the UK is called Rex-10!

No wonder it gets confusing  rofl

Stace

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 03:39:07 PM »

Here we had a DM10A. Known as the Rex-10 Motion Sensor.  ::)

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 05:59:47 PM »

In the UK, the Radar version of Rex is called SecureDog.  There is also a Marmitex X10 product which in the UK is called Rex-10!

Yeah... and I'll bet those people in Germany don't call their guard dogs "Shepard's" ether. I like the idea of a sensor triggering an MP3 player [speaker] or a radio (maybe a radio that can play TV stations).

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 12:18:02 AM »

Tom,

I thought REX was triggered from the PIR it comes with?  Are you referring to the other barking dog I have as option 2?

Stace

Hi Dave is correct the Rex I'm referring to uses radar and has to be shielded to prevent false alarms as I pointed out earlier.

Tom j.

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 08:26:04 AM »

I really don't think the presence of a dog... real or otherwise... barking or otherwise is much of a deterrent. I really think only non-dog owners are attracted to the bark-alarm.

As a dog owner (pack leader) it is very easy to train a dog to react to YOUR reaction. Dogs.. as do people.. react to fight or flight in a natural environment. Although it does happen... it is rare that a dog defends its owners stuff... when the owner isn't there.

Generally intruders are most afraid of getting caught.. by another human. Having lights on timers is an old practice that still works. Using X10 and AHP you can create a set of security light-action timers very much like real life would produce.

Often burglars ring the doorbell to be sure no one is home... they can always ask for someone (that doesn't live there) if someone answers. I would think a light and loud radio in the basement or bathroom might be a better warning setup.

I am using an outright in your face Voice Warning. That states the area is video monitored and an alarm is on. Mine is automatically set but can be set manually.

aba

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 09:37:56 AM »

Hi Dave,

I'm starting to think the same.

I've owned dogs in the past (bull-terriers) and whilst they are a deterent, I'm starting to think there a better options.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.