Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: recording x10 wired or wireless cameras to hard drive  (Read 12250 times)

pmcguire16

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
recording x10 wired or wireless cameras to hard drive
« on: November 25, 2007, 12:51:18 PM »

Can someone give me some specific info on what software I need to get so I can record video from a wired or wireless camera to my hard drive on my computer? I know how to record to VCR but I have worn out my heads and wish to record to my PC so I can review and save, delete, convert to DVD, etc. I have done some searches on the web but I can find nothing to address specifically what I want to do. I have the VA11A usb video input on my PC and the Xray vision software which allows me to save snap shots, but I am looking for video and/or audio. Thanks for any info.

zach1234

Re: recording x10 wired or wireless cameras to hard drive
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 09:57:52 PM »

Try...

Vanguard (the best allows remote viewing too)

Or Multi View

For more info please see.

http://www.x10.com/cameras/index.html#cameras_software

EL34

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • My X-10 projects
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 07:40:19 AM »

This software works excellent also.
I have used it for about 5 years with 4 cameras running at all times.
http://www.fgeng.com/
W10 - CM15A - AHP 3.301 - i Witness - MyHouse online - Smart Macros - SDK using Visual Basic express 2008
My X10 page-> http://www.el34world.com/Misc/home/X10_0.htm

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 12:22:46 PM »

I have to say for your money the Active Home Pro &  plug-in bundle is your best deal!
It will do EVERYTHING Vanguard or Multiview will Plus!
You can usualy find this bundle as a deal for under $50 at X10!
The iWatchout plug-in is the cam software plug-in! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

EL34

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • My X-10 projects
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 04:56:51 PM »

One thing that the Video monitor software does (see my link up above) that I like is that all the cameras are on all the time, there is no turning cameras on and off to get a look.
All the cameras can be displayed at one time and you can set up a scan time to look at each camera, say for 10 seconds each.
If pixel motion is detected within the area you have set, the software will stay on that camera for whatever time limit you set up and record your video to the hard drive.
Each camera has it's own video file names so you can just review camera 9 for example and you can set max file sizes so that a file will be full at say 1meg or whatever, then it will start a new file.

You may not want to stay on one camera the whole time once motion is detected because something esle may be happening at another camera. So you can record say 10 seconds of video and then do another quick scan to see if anything else is going on at the other cameras. If nothing is going on, the software will go right back to the camera that has been tripped.

It's all set up by you according to whatever you may need for your situation.
It's a notch or two above the simple AHP video functions but it all depends on what you need for your particular situation.
Note that video monitor does not take stills, only video. That's one thing AHP does that I like.
W10 - CM15A - AHP 3.301 - i Witness - MyHouse online - Smart Macros - SDK using Visual Basic express 2008
My X10 page-> http://www.el34world.com/Misc/home/X10_0.htm

eagle

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 05:53:09 PM »

Hi el34,

I realize this is an old thread but I hope you're still here and don't mind addressing my questions below.

I'm new to the forum and I've been busy reading as a guest for the past couple of days.

I've actually gone to your cool website to read up on your set up.  Very nice.

I understand that the VSM doesn't use motion sensors but detect activity via pixel changes within the camera's field of view. 

How much of a change do they have to detect before it concludes that there is something going on?

What if it is a mildly breezy day and you have plants or objects swaying, would that trigger an event?

Also, how does it perform at night when there is no illumination in the zone being monitored?

Outside of the X10 cameras, video receiver, sensors, AHP with usb transceiver, is there anything else from x10 I need to get to work with VSM?

Does it work with AHP or does it run independent from it?

Sorry for the questions.   I'm just trying to determine which software I might go with when I take the plunge.  I've read up a little on the X10 software (AHP with different plug-in software modules, won't consider the VICC since it appears to be buggy), blueiris, LogmeIn, and others.  Yes, BVC is on the list .... absolutely.   :)

Target configuration for me would be a home automation suite with security features including x10 floods and 4-6 wireless cameras (retrofitting house for wired system is too difficult to implement) with computer recording capabilities that I'd like to monitor on and offsite.

I will likely do the home automation part first with no cameras and make sure everything works after a lab test per recommendations I've read from Dave_X10's posts.

Anyway, VSM sounds really interesting and would like more feedback about it from you if you don't mind.

r,
eagle

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.