Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Microsoft's Home of the Future!  (Read 23442 times)

stoney

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Microsoft's Home of the Future!
« on: November 28, 2009, 07:52:58 PM »

This is so far on the cutting edge it's almost scary!

If it wasn't real I'd think it to be Hollywood FX.

The future is just a bit around the corner.

House keys obsolete within 10 - 20 years?
I don't use one now!

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/05/13/inside-microsofts-home-of-the-future-video

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Microsoft's Home of the Future!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 08:13:19 PM »

Microsoft controlling a home.  rofl
I don't trust Microsoft to do anything right.
Last thing I want is them controlling my life.
Wounder how many Service Packs and Security Updates; will be needed to even get close to a fairly BUG resistant home.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 09:43:16 PM »

Ain't that the truth!!!!!

Not only endless patches, Service Packs, all of which arrives on Microsoft's time, not the time you want.  B:(
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 11:07:08 PM »

You guys have got to be kidding me! Where have you been?

The power lines that supply this country (I live in America) are controlled by computers running Microsoft as the Operating System. So are most of the software on the computers at the hospitals. The Department of Defense runs on Microsoft as well. Microsoft has changed the world... while you guys weren't looking.

My house has been run on a XP PC since 2006... using BVC which uses MS speech recognition SAPI-5 for voice control and announcements. I know the Microsoft House is a bit dippy... and old fashion.. but it's a demo.

I know...many in today's world... want to see America and it's powerful corporations put to their knees. Shame on those... who would aid our enemies to destroy our culture.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 12:05:07 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 11:44:16 AM »

You guys have got to be kidding me! Where have you been?

The power lines that supply this country (I live in America) are controlled by computers running Microsoft as the Operating System. So are most of the software on the computers at the hospitals. The Department of Defense runs on Microsoft as well. Microsoft has changed the world... while you guys weren't looking.

My house has been run on a XP PC since 2006... using BVC which uses MS speech recognition SAPI-5 for voice control and announcements. I know the Microsoft House is a bit dippy... and old fashion.. but it's a demo.

I know...many in today's world... want to see America and it's powerful corporations put to their knees. Shame on those... who would aid our enemies to destroy our culture.

I bet you the IT guys at those places curse Microsoft at every turn.   The problem isn't with the OS, it's Microsoft's attitude on updates (endless) and Service Packs.  They send them out when they want, not when you want, even if you tell them on their site that you want updates at 2:00 AM Saturday morning, they send them out when they feel like it.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 01:04:55 PM »

I've looked into the z-wave/schlage wireless lock.  I'd hate to totally rely on that.  My idea of Hell is one where the house refuses to cooperate due to a reboot.  Would really stink if I were locked out in the cold hoping that a MS computer would unfreeze before I froze.  Good thing you still get the option of the key.

Point is that ALL of this HA stuff isn't 100%.  Its great having BVC run my house, but it's better knowing that I can still hit the wall switch when all else fails.

I learned long ago not to depend on one type of heat (wood, oil, electric or the fireplace, plus a kerosene emergency heater and a propane one as well), on one phone type (cell and land), not to depend on the rural electric co-op to keep my lights on all the time (generator), or even county water to prevent the occasional water main break (still got the old well).
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 04:16:08 PM »

Ain't that the truth!!!!!

Not only endless patches, Service Packs, all of which arrives on Microsoft's time, not the time you want.  B:(

Yeah, and with each patch and service pack, the house runs slower and slower and slower.  After two years of software updates it will take the house 10 minutes to recognize the burgler is not you, the owner.   rofl
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

stoney

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 08:54:25 PM »

That's OK...the sceptics once laughed at Edison too!...until he showed them...the LIGHT! -:)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 09:41:44 PM »

I am running my home largely with just an old P3 running XP Home. The computer (and software) knows when I am home and is now acting on that info. I am calling the concept S.A.R.A.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.