Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Custom Buttons for Controllers (with Pics)  (Read 3913 times)

aslamma

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
Custom Buttons for Controllers (with Pics)
« on: November 30, 2009, 01:03:54 AM »

I love these little keychain remotes when coupled with BVC since I can control simple functions like my radio.  They are dirt cheap (6-for-1), small, and basically waterproof.  I opened one up and it is sealed very well against water.  I dunked it without a problem and it even floats.  But I wanted some custom labels.

You will need:
- Hole punch
- Printer paper and Printer
- Double sided adhesive (more on this later)
- Tweezers
- Exacto Knife or small knife

Step 1:
Create you custom buttons in powerpoint or whatever.  In powerpoint, create a circle that is bigger than the size of the punch, but not by much.  You want to use it as a guide to get a good punch.  A .28" circle in powerpoint worked good for me.  Create a grid of whatever buttons you want, keeping in mind you will not have 100% yield.  See pictures below.

Step 2:
Attach a double sided adhesive to the print out made in step 1.  Then cut out in strips or however you like.  This is shown in the picture below.

-----About the adhesive-----

I tried super glue and it works pretty well, but if you apply too much then it is a messy looking result.  If you apply too little, you have to put it on perfectly the first time or you will make a mess (zero set time).

I used "Therm o Web" Peel n Stick adhesive sheets, but I know there is better stuff out there.  At my former work we had some amazing 3M stuff, but I don't know what it was exactly.  It needs to be very thin though (not foam types) or else you will tend to induce peel stresses on the button (not good).

ANYONE KNOW A VERY STRONG DOUBLE SIDED ADHESIVE THAT IS THIN (NOT FOAM) ?

------------------------------

Step 3:
Cut into strips as shown in the picture.  Then use the hole punch with the circle as a guide.  It may help to look all around the circle right before you punch to make sure you are totally centered.  It needs to be centered or else it won't look good.  You will probably scrap a few on the way.

Step 4:
Use the exacto knife to remove the backing from the button.  Then use the tweezers and grab just the very outer edge of the button and gently place it on the button, being careful to center it and make sure its rotation is proper.  After placed gently, then use your finger to press down and remove the tweezers.  Press and hold down to set it on.

So far this has worked good and I have not had any buttons come off, even after submerged in water.  However, if you try to pop the button off with a knife, it will come off easily.  This is why it is important not to use too thick of a paper or adhesive.  If its very thin, you won't tend to create this type of force during normal usage.  HOWEVER, I WOULD REALLY WANT TO USE A HIGH STRENGTH ADHESIVE and not the arts and crafts one that I have now.

The final product is shown is shown below, but probably looks better in real life since you can see the imperfections (centering, etc.) more in the pictures.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Custom Buttons for Controllers (with Pics)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 06:08:54 AM »

Another great tip. Thanks again.

ChrisJ

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 12:59:31 PM »

This is a Great Idea,  the adhesive you may be thinking of at work is Amazing Goop found at most hardware stores. It is like a thin paste and depending on the type (general, plastic, ceramic) it should work very well.

Chris

chrispy66

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 04:45:12 PM »

3M Scotch Brand makes a 2 sided tape less than .6mills thin that works very well.
Another thought, after reading this issue I broke out my old Brother P-Touch label maker and printed out perfect button labels for all my remotes. Thanks for the motivation.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.