Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: how to repeat a command?  (Read 3076 times)

aweber1nj

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
how to repeat a command?
« on: December 04, 2009, 12:41:14 PM »

I'm troubleshooting some interference or other signal issue (have not determined it yet).  Basically SOME of my modules are working great, others not so great.  When I move the CM15A around to different outlets and test, it basically changes which modules are working or not.  I think I'm going to try a XPCR to repeat/boost signal across my panel.

In the meantime, and in addition, I can't find a way to send the same signal to a switch/module.  For example, i can send "D1 On" by clicking the switch in AHP, but I haven't found a way to send it again.  If I click the switch again, it sends "D1 Off" (of course).  Is there a way to re-send the same command or a manual entry window where I could do this?

Similarly, what does the "Repeat" checkbox do in the timers?  Does this repeat the command when the timer executes every time?  How many times does it repeat the command, and can that number be adjusted???

Thanks,
AJ

Mellowmark

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
  • M M Electric
Re: how to repeat a command?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 03:04:30 PM »

I don't know about the repeat check box. But I don't see why you couldn't write a macro that sends say A1 on delay 2sec A1 on wait 2 sec A1 on or as many times as you think. 
M M ElectricMan

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 03:00:17 AM »

I'm troubleshooting some interference or other signal issue (have not determined it yet).  Basically SOME of my modules are working great, others not so great.  When I move the CM15A around to different outlets and test, it basically changes which modules are working or not.  I think I'm going to try a XPCR to repeat/boost signal across my panel.

It certainly sounds like a phase issue/problem. As you have probably read... your [main] breaker box has two [phases] 120 Volt each. Without a phase coupler or repeater [properly] crossing these phases the X10 signal just can't get through.

I know from my own experience that signal repeating or sending RF commands and adding transceivers to the bad areas... really doesn't work.

I resolved my problem with just a cheapie dryer plug phase coupler....as I use an electric dryer. But I wish I'd used a coupler/repeater.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

aweber1nj

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 10:58:20 AM »

Agreed, it sounds like a phase problem.  I also have a fairly large house, and have (possibly to my own detriment) continually replaced incandescent bulbs with CFLs for energy savings.  Without a good scope or X10-specific tool, I would have to resort to a lot of breaker on/off troubleshooting. 

For the $18 (and I know how to install it myself), I'm going to try the XPCR.  For my currently minimal/moderate setup it's probably worth having anyway.  Best-case, it will solve my problem.  Worst case, it's probably good to have installed.  Sounds like the newer repeaters are a little more "intelligent", but at 8x the price, I don't think I need it yet.

Thanks for the feedback,
AJ

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 06:43:49 PM »

....... Without a good scope or X10-specific tool, I would have to resort to a lot of breaker on/off troubleshooting. 
... I'm going to try the XPCR. 

The XPCR may be all you ever need. Getting your CM15A located closer to the breaker box/ service panel can also help. But one of the most useful things you can do is Map Your Electrical Circuits. It isn't as big a job as it sounds... but best done when you have the home to yourself.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

stoney

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 08:32:18 AM »

Found an XPCR from a great X-10 source on ebay for $11.00!!

Best thing I ever did as my reception now extends from one end of my basement to my garage and my entire house upstairs.

Good product! YMMV

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.