Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: bad Ninja power supply  (Read 5649 times)

fulcher1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
bad Ninja power supply
« on: December 04, 2009, 07:12:47 PM »

Help please! We have been attempting to set up the system, and
we plugged the power supply (Model XM14A) into the wall as we were trying to hook the system together -- and the power supply became extremely hot within about 10 minutes. Now, the unit acts as if it is dead, how do we test it, what could have caused it, what suggestions can you give me? How can we test to assure that the problem is in the power supply, and not in the camera or base?

I tried to post to the this question, but do not think it worked, send informaion on how to post, please

fulcher1

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: bad Ninja power supply
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 09:02:24 PM »

we plugged the power supply (Model XM14A) into the wall as we were trying to hook the system together -- and the power supply became extremely hot

how do we test it,
what could have caused it,
what suggestions can you give me?
How can we test to assure that the problem is in the power supply, and not in the camera or base?
fulcher1

If you plugged the XM14A into outlet but left disconnected from Ninja base and it became extremely hot, then it is bad. With no load the XM14A should not get hot. And definately not "extrememly hot".

1. If you have a voltmeter/multimeter check the unconnected output of the XM14A for 12V DC. If it reads 12 then it is probably OK.
2. Could be bad power supply, bad base, or bad camera...
3. Send it back.
4. Assuming you do not want to send all back, process of elimination is the only way. 
Plug in power supply - does it get hot?
Disconnect camera from base and plug power supply into base, does it get hot now?
Now plug camera into base, does power supply get hot now?
I would send camera, base and PS back, since a new power supply will probably blow internal fuse during the testing process if the base or camera is bad.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 09:04:20 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

fulcher1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: bad Ninja power supply
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 10:14:20 PM »

Many thanks, will be shipping it all back!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.