Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Linux based NAS users?  (Read 8121 times)

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Linux based NAS users?
« on: December 08, 2009, 07:51:09 PM »

I have a network attached storage device that runs linux. it is a light version of linux running BusyBox.

It is a Synology DS209j. It has only 65MB of ram and very little processing power. However it does run apache, mysql and php...Basically I can run a LAMP platform (Linux, Apache, Mysql, PHP)

I've tried misterhouse on it before but don't care too much for misterhouse.

as a computer science student I wish i could design a lightweight home automation suite for NAS to run. I say this because most people won't be running a linux server, but more and more people will be owning NAS devices which run linux and can serve web pages.

If I could design a good database, it would have all the triggers built into it. that way the gui could be very light and could actually be programmed in almost any language that can interact with mysql.

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Re: Linux based NAS users?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 05:29:42 PM »

I was able to cross-compile kernel loadable FTDI modules so I can get an RS232 port on my NAS. With this I was able to get a Firecracker CM17a and a HD11a (rebranded CM11a) successfully working on my NAS! I was able to install HEYU, and a neat little PHP frontend for HEYU called domus.Link, all neatly integrated into my NAS.

domus.Link doesn't do very much at this point, but it has potential.

I really wish there was a powerful app out there like misterhouse but better suited for Linux servers taking full advantage of the LAMP platform (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP). Also, AJAX is a must these days...

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.