Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Simple System but It Won't Work  (Read 3017 times)

Ritchie

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Simple System but It Won't Work
« on: December 10, 2009, 07:05:53 PM »

For many years, I used the Active Home interface that preceeded CM15A with no troubles.  After I switched to Vista, the previous software would not work.  This week I got my CM15A and new software and I can't get it to work.  I only have two light modules and two wall switches that control outside lighting.  None of them operate with the new software and interface.  After reading dozens of emails, I tried the following:

-   Concerned about the "split phase issue," I turned on our 240 volt two phase clothes dryer by that had no effect.
-   I have GE CFLs in my kitchen and family room.  I turned all of them off and tried to turn on the modules from the computer but they still did not work.  At the time of this experiment, the only electrical device in operation was my computer.
-   I brought one of the lamp modules to the outlet where the interface is located.  This module then worked properly.

I have read much of Jeff Volp's information.  I am not interested in buying the signal meter or investing hundreds in filters.
Does any one have suggestions for my simple system?  I would be willing to buy a few more devices if they were highly likely to solve my problem.
I have always liked the X10 equipment and hate to scrap it.

Mellowmark

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
  • M M Electric
Re: Simple System but It Won't Work
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 07:22:27 PM »

What is not working the plc commands or the
Rf reception. The cm15 has poor RF reception and needs some help, their is allot of mods to help along. I have good results for my simple system, with a piece of white solid wire about 18 inch tiewrap-ed to the antenna.
M M ElectricMan

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 07:25:25 PM »

When you switched to Vista. Was it on a NEW computer? If so I would start with an X10 filter on its AC input. As you system with the older CM11A was not giving you any noticeable problems.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 06:47:08 AM »

For many years, I used the Active Home interface that preceeded CM15A with no troubles. 
-   Concerned about the "split phase issue," I turned on our 240 volt two phase clothes dryer by that had no effect.

I think it's interesting that after years of using a CM11A... you would now be concerned about a phase issue. I would guess that:
  • You have never actually deal with the phase issue before. You had used a TM751 along with the CM11A (which then also acted as a repeater).
  • Your new computer in also in a new location.. so the CM15A is not in the same receptacle as the CM11A was.

If you've never mapped your circuits before... this would be an excellent time to do that (and it doesn't cost a cent). You may also want to look at a passive phase coupler
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Ritchie

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 06:19:14 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  Here are your postings and my comments on each:

What is not working the plc commands or the Rf reception. The cm15 has poor RF reception and needs some help, their is allot of mods to help along. I have good results for my simple system, with a piece of white solid wire about 18 inch tiewrap-ed to the antenna.
Response:  I'll try your suggestions thgis weekend and post the results.

When you switched to Vista. Was it on a NEW computer? If so I would start with an X10 filter on its AC input. As you system with the older CM11A was not giving you any noticeable problems.
Response:  Yes I built a new computer and installed a clean version of Vista.  Can you recommend a good filter for this application?

I think it's interesting that after years of using a CM11A... you would now be concerned about a phase issue. I would guess that:
•   You have never actually deal with the phase issue before. You had used a TM751 along with the CM11A (which then also acted as a repeater).
•   Your new computer in also in a new location.. so the CM15A is not in the same receptacle as the CM11A was.

Response:  I'm not sure of the interface model  number.  The lamp and switch modules are the same design as the current units.  I never experienced any problems with the old system.  My new computer is in the same location and the CM15A is in the same outlet as the old interface.  I will check if it's the same circuit as the compueter.

Thanks

Rich

edited by Tuicemen for readability
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 08:03:48 PM by Tuicemen »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.