Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 video to computer problem  (Read 6089 times)

Durango-Kid

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 video to computer problem
« on: December 18, 2009, 03:15:32 PM »

I spent the last two days just looking & searching around here at lots of posts.  So far have not found one that has my problem, so I registered so I can ask this question.

I have several X-10 products cameras, Active Home Pro, with all the plug-ins that are registered.
XC22a, XC18A wireless Cameras,  VR36A wireless receiver to video,  VA12A Video to USB converter.

When I go into Device manager I see the X10 VA12A video capture unit listed under Sound,Video & Game Controllers with no yellow question marks.

I hook the output from the VR36A to my TV and I get a good picture, so this tells me my Wireless camera XC22A & receiver is working.

When I take the yellow plug out of TV and hook it into the VA12A USB adapter I open my active home pro, install my camera & I see no picture. 

I have read where you can also test this using Windows Movie Maker.  I open WMM and click on video devices, my X10 camera shows up.  I then try to do the setup it asks me to do.  I never get it setup as keeps saying unknown error has occurred.

I do like all the remote appliance units & have had several in use in past years using a X-10  MT13A timer.  We've had lots of theft problems so thought I would get some X-10 cameras & the AHP to capture problems.

So any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: X10 video to computer problem
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 06:27:12 PM »

Here is another test program that may help in finding the problem.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=d9t14r5v7q92crarbv81qpu534&topic=19169.0

Durango-Kid

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 06:47:31 PM »

Thanks Brian,
  I tried this I get no picture just a black box.  I've uninstalled all the drivers, turned off my Trend Micro PcCillin, re-installed drivers go to device manager there's no problems there.
  I know it's a computer problem but I've tried about everything I've read the past 2 days on this form before I joined & started to ask questions.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 07:41:22 PM »

What version of AHP are you using.
Is the VA12A on a USB2 type connector?

Durango-Kid

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 06:34:16 AM »

Ver # 3.236
Running XP home,   Sp2,   4 meg memory.

Tried the VA12A in every USB port on my computer still nothing.  Every time I change the port my computer finds it and says installed ok.  Go to device manager & it's under 'Sound, Video, & Game Controllers' with no yellow question marks.
  what gets me I read on another post where you can test the video in 'Windows movie maker',  Nothing there.
  I already tried the
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=d9t14r5v7q92crarbv81qpu534&topic=19169.0
2 days ago when I saw this post.  Nothing shows in there either.

Thanks for the help.

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 10:09:10 AM »

When you go to device manager, expand your usb devices.  Do you see an enhanced USB 2.0 ?  If not then you probably don't have the required port for the va12.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 10:09:48 AM »

Durango-Kid
XP SP2 wasn't designed to work with more then 3 meg of mem! You'll have all kinds of issues but I doubt thats the issue!
Have you downloaded the latest drivers for the VA12A and manual told windows to use those drivers?  ???
I don't have a VA12 but this was what had to be done with the VA11A. ::) :'
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Durango-Kid

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 12:44:21 PM »

Hawk1
  Here's what I get in device manager.

Tuicemen
Didn't know that about SP2 thanks.  Wanting to upgrade to Win-7 when they get the bugs out if it, Have W-7 on laptop many of my programs will not run on W-7.

I've been following your posts the last 2 days in other areas, tried most of them.  I have downloaded the latest drivers When I go to the device mgr. then under 'Sound, Video & game Controllers' I find the VA12A in there with no yellow question mark.  I click on it it comes up with the X10 driver showing, not the others in Windows.

What other device would you recommend so I can get my cameras into my AHP program?  Willing to try anything.

One other thing I have a Magic Jack also on one of my USB ports.  I've tried unplugging this and still nothing.
  Have a D-link powered 7 port USB hub also connected to a USB port, that runs the M.J. wireless mouse dongle, & my two printers. 
Thanks

Durango-Kid

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 06:11:31 AM »

Well I tried something yesterday (Sunday).
  I put AHP & drivers over on my laptop with Win-7 64 bit with 4 meg ram.  Everything installed ok, I even put Ihouse software on for test of cameras.  I'm just trying to get either camera to work not both at same time, the B/W or the color wireless ones.   Figure do one & get it working right then try for the 2nd one. No picture in either program?

Now I must be doing something wrong as I still see no video from the cameras on the laptop on either program.  Hook the wireless receiver yellow plug into the tv I have great picture there.

Got lot of Christmas figures out & already had one stolen, so this is why I'm trying to get these cameras working.  getting tired of the thieves around here.

Durango-Kid

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 05:43:55 PM »

Thanks to all who posted with help for me.

I got the problem resolved.  Was on X10 web site looking a other cameras & things.  A screen poped up wanting to know if I wanted a on-line chat?  I said yes.  So with the help of Tony G at the X10 site we spent over an hour trying different things.  I did tell him about same problem on laptop.  We looked in device manager, checked many other things I don't remember at this time.
  Finally Tony said the VA12A was bad.  He sent e-mail with RMA so will have to wait for about 2 weeks before I get one back.

I do appreciate all the info that's here on this form. I've learned a lot.  So will be buying more things to use with AHP and cameras.

ironman

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 07:26:08 PM »

Hello All,

New to forum but an X-10 user from waaaaaay back. I have a question. I've been looking for a way to use a wireless camera with Windows Live Messenger (or any of the various 'chat' programs) so that I'm not stuck in front of my PC with the hard wired
Logitech web cam I have. I's like to have the ability to mount it on a helmet or just to be able to take it in to another room to show the person I'm connected to via 'Live' the other rooms or objects in my house. I noticed above that the wireless X-10 cams
(I have an older color wireless model) can be viewed in 'Microsoft Movie Maker'. Of course my cam has no USB connection for the PC but do the newer ones have the ability to function just like the Logitech or Microsoft web cams but wireless ?? I have looked into the wireless USBs but it means having to drag around a 50' Cat 5 cord - not terrible but 'wireless' would be neater. Any help ?
I wanted to buy one for my mom and I so we can 'visit' on Christmas. I thought these would be readily available but much to my surprise there are only 'security' cameras which require FTP and web space etc. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated !!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.