Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: range and PH508 powerhorn  (Read 7756 times)

sara2

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
range and PH508 powerhorn
« on: November 11, 2009, 04:30:20 PM »

I've tried different outlets but I still get an intermittent signal, siren sounds for 6 sec. then off for 6, keeps repeating.   I've also noticed the siren farthest away from the console is not as loud.  Any add-on solution is out of my budget for now if it has to do with wiring.  I guess I'm just stuck with it as is.

Big-MO also had the problem but no follow-up if he found a fix or not. 

Sara

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: range and PH508 powerhorn
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 06:25:52 PM »

Can you try one of them in the same outlet as the console and not put your hearing in jeopardy?
That would tell us if X10 has changed something. As messages have indicated the newer models have a different circuit board in them.
The one that seems to be more quiet maybe defective.

sara2

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 07:04:33 PM »

I have 3 of the powerhorns.  One is in a family room that was added to the back of the house about 10 yrs. ago.  That one is fine, very loud. The other 2 are in the older section of the house, the farthest one is about 40 ft. from the console.  Those two do seem louder when plugged into the same outlet as the console, but that 6 sec. on and off is still there.  So it may very well be wiring.  The house was built in 1955 and who knows what's been updated if anything.

Thanks, Sara

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 01:28:10 PM »

Sounds more like X10 changed something. There should be no signal issues with one of the newer PH508 units in the same outlet as the console.
All of mine are older stock from one of the X10 four for one sales.

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 09:37:23 PM »

I don't think that the powerhorns are affected by age of wiring or distance. Either they work or they don't, but since they're X10 devices it's possible that they work and don't work at the same time  :'

It's quite possible that some batches have a different volume rating than other batches, but if they're all pulling the same voltage from the same wiring and getting the X10 signals then I think the problem is not likely to be your wiring.

The 6 seconds on/off could very well be another new X10 'feature' using an existing model number for a visually identical, but very electronically different product.

Most likely if they seem louder when plugged into different outlets you have an optical illusion  ;D
* beelocks sits back quietly and waits for someone to come up with the right terminology (it's been a long day)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 09:52:18 PM »

Most likely if they seem louder when plugged into different outlets you have an optical illusion  ;D
* beelocks sits back quietly and waits for someone to come up with the right terminology (it's been a long day)

Audible illusion?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

sara2

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 07:12:40 PM »

Well, I called X10 to see if the "on and off" was something new to the powerhorns and I was advised to return them for replacement.  So they're on their way.

When new ones get here I'll follow up with an update.

Thanks for all the info,

Sara

sara2

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 01:42:21 PM »

Just received the new PH508 powerhorns today.  They operate just like the first ones, on for 6 sec. then off for 6.  Still the same pause.  X10 gave no explanation for it when I first called tech support, just to send them back.

It took a month and several phone calls to finally get these replacements, so they will not be returned again.  If X10 changed something or it turns out to be the house wiring I'll just live with it.

Sara

paizano1

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 11:24:24 PM »

Hi there, just thought i would give my 2cents about what i have determined. I setup an alarm console with just a remote and DS, and powerhorn.  I set off the panic and the powerhorn does just as you say it goes for about six sounds and then pauses.
Next i tried it with arm home and set of the DS, and still same thing about 6 sounds.
Again I tried it with arm away and same thing.

Thought that my horns were bad also.

Then I tried with a powerflash module which is used to make almost any kind of alarm system flash the lights and sirens so that you have the X-10 features with a different company alarm system or just a homemade alarm system with out a brain unit.  Anyway I set off the powerflash module by the contacts on the module and the powerhorn continued to sound as long as I kept the contacts closed. 

So I guess what I am getting at is that the powerhorns seem to be fine, The problems we are having have to deal with the console.  My console was purchased within the last year so it is probably a new design, I don't have an older console to try it out with to see if it does the same.  Maybe the older ones do it also and no one has actually let it sound the sirens long enough to hear the pause.

Any guru's reading this that have been with X10 for many years, maybe you could put in some earplugs, and sound of the alarm and see if you in fact have a pause after about 6secs or so.  Lights continue, and console speaker continues without the pause, as does the mini horn, the problem just seems to be with the powerhorn.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 06:48:40 AM »

It would appear that X10 is trying to resolve the issue with the lights flashing and the new soft start modules, by redesigning the DS7000 without considering the effects of the powerhorns.  Just speculation, though.  I'll bet that in a couple of years the powerhorns will see a redesign.

Too bad the model numbers stayed the same......  :'
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Durango-Kid

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 12:34:32 PM »

Man I just clicked on    'This Automated House'   There's a LOT of information in there.  I learned a lot about how to use & control my X-10 units.
  Just hope everyone can get a look at it.  Thanks you guys.   :)% #:)

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 07:05:20 PM »

add this to the 6sec on off issue:

got our ds7000 about 1.5 yrs ago for the new office in town...  did run the 4 sirens placed around the 3000 sq foot place (30' x100' 1 story building) for 30 sec at a time probably 20 times in the first year.  NOW they go 6sec on 6 sec off too!  all of them......  tried the different outlets etc and no difference.  started about 6 mo ago.  have dropped memory and replaced 9v backup battery 2x in this time and no different either.  just figured it is loud enough that it didnt make too much difference;  besides, the phone calling is what I think really matters - no one is going to care about the silly siren noise anyway.

guess I need to take my monterey sig monitor to building and see what it shows?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.